We Cannot Really Love If We Cannot Laugh

Summer Job

The train ride was long and boring for the most part. Gwen had a bit of a negative attitude, which neither Rain nor myself could snap her out of. After a few long hours, the train finally arrived at King's Cross.
I had sort of hoped Fred would be there to meet me, but he wasn't. Instead, I was greeted by your parents, which was totally fine with me. I hadn't seen them since Christmas.

"Renée! Il était trop longue!" My mother said. Which meant 'It's been to long.' I hugged her, then turned to my dad.

"Comment était l'école cette année?" He asked as me hugged him, which meant 'How was school?'

"Très bonne! Pendant la Pâque, j'ai rencontrer Fred, maintenant nous sommes petits amis!" I answered. This meant 'Pretty good, Fred and I became boyfriend and girlfriend during Easter.'

My mother screamed and hugged me again.

"Renée! C'est très excitant! Je suis si content pour toi et Fred!" She said. My parents didn't like owls, so you didn't keep in touch with them over the school year. This translated to, 'That's so exciting! I'm so happy for you!' You smiled.

"Wow, now that accent doesn't sound so hot!" A voice behind you said. I spun around. It was Fred! "But I guess that might be because I have no idea what you're saying!"

I hugged him and my parents smiled. My father shook his hand and my mother hugged him.

"You weel take care of my doter?" My father asked apprehensively. His accent was much worse than mine and he couldn't speak English as good.

"Oh yes, sir. I have no intention of hurting her!" Fred replied, hardly containing his smile of amusement.

"Tank you so much, for everyting, Fred!" My mother said. Her English wasn't much better than my fathers.

"The pleasure's mine, Mr and Mrs Wheaton! So it's okay with you that Renée works at the store again this summer?" He asked. He knew my parents didn't stay in contact with me during the school year.

"Oui, eet ees fine wit me, ow about you, dear?" My mother answered, still smiling.

"Yes, but do not try anyting wit my doter." He answered, I almost laughed. Didn't he trust me?

"Of course not, sir! We'll just be working together." Fred replied. My dad nodded.

"Nous devrons aller." He said to me and my mom. 'We should go.'

"Okay, see you tomorrow, Fred!" I called back to him. Why was this suddenly getting a lot more difficult with my parents involved?

It was late, so I got home, unpacked using magic and immediately collapsed on the bed, without even bothering to change.

I woke up the next morning to the smell of crêpes cooking in the kitchen. I got up, changed and went right down to the kitchen for breakfast.

"Merci, Maman!" I thanked my mother and kissed her cheek. I sat down at the table. My father had obviously left for work already. My mother put a plate of steaming crêpes down in front of me. I ate quickly, as the clock read 9:46. I had to be at work for 10:00.

I finished, then went upstairs to do my hair and brush my teeth. It was 9:57 when I apparated to Diagon Alley.

Whoa. Gwen was right! There were lots of Dark street vendors popping up around Diagon Alley. I was a little scared, so I walked quickly towards the bright posters announcing Fred and George's many products. I unlocked the door and stepped inside.

"Renée! What a pleasant surprise! But the store isn't open yet!" George greeted me. I smiled.

"Actually, I'm working full-time again this summer." I explained.

"Well, why aren't you in uniform?" George asked. I laughed.

"I had to turn it in at the end of the summer last year!" I said. He knew that.

"Right, well hold on, I'll call my partner and we'll see what we can do. HEY FRED!! SOME HOMELESS CREEP JUST WALKED IN FROM THE STREETS AGAIN! I NEED BACKUP!" He bellowed up the stairs. I started laughing. I heard the pounding of footsteps from upstairs and Fred appeared on the stairs.

"Renée! I didn't know you were homeless! Did your father lose his job?" He said. I smacked him.

"No, he didn't!" He pulled me close and kissed me.

"Wait, you said again? Have you actually gotten a homeless guy in here before?" I asked.

"Well, yeah. It was creepy. He just wanted some cash, they all do. But he knew what he was doing! I think he was drunk though, so it gave us a bit of an advantage." Fred explained. I laughed.

"So, you need a uniform...?" He asked.

"Sure do." I answered.

"C'mon, we'll see what we can find." He took my hand and led me to one of the back rooms where the spare uniforms were kept.

We quickly found my size and I went into the bathroom to change.