We Cannot Really Love If We Cannot Laugh

USA

It was going to be tricky getting to Detroit, but we had to let your parents know. Owls could be intercepted and we couldn't use any serious magic. Apparating to the States counted as complicated magic as it was a lot farther than the Burrow. So that left us no choice but to take a plane.

We went into London Airport and got our tickets. The cost was no problem on account the store. Fred and I boarded the plane okay. We did a quick scan of the passengers and didn't notice any Death Eaters among them. One thing was for sure, We would both be happy as soon as you arrived in Detroit.

Fred put his hand on my thigh and massaged it. I relaxed a bit and settled into my seat. It was a night flight and seven and a half hours long. So I rested my head on his shoulder and fell asleep.

Eight hours later, I was being shaken awake by Fred. We had arrived in Detroit.

We walked off the plane and into the airport. We made sure no one was watching, everyone was engrossed in their own business, so no one was paying attention to anything that wasn't their business. I took Fred's wrist gently and you both apparated, I was guiding him to my pureblood grandparents' house. We arrived in the doorstep. I lifted my fist and knocked. My grandmother appeared at the door.

"Renée! Comme tu es grande! Il fait si longue!" She babbled in french, 'Look how you've grown up! It's been too long!' She wrapped me into a hug and looked over my shoulder at Fred.

"Qui est cette beau homme? Un petit ami?" She asked and she let go of me and took my hands in hers. 'Who is this handsome gentleman? A boyfriend?' The sudden movement of our hands made the the ring glimmer in the sun. She looked down at my hands clasped in hers and gasped at the ring on my left hand.

"Grandmère, il ne parle pas la Francais, pouviez-vous parlez Anglais maintenent?" I asked her. 'Grandmother, he doesn't speak French, could you speak English now?"

"Of course! But don't change ze subject." She replied.

"This is Fred, he's my fiancé." I explained. My grandmother screamed with happiness and called back into the house.

"Venez ici, tout le monde! Renée est ici avec sa fiancé!" She called. 'Come here everyone! Renée's here with her fiance!' There was thundering footsteps heard all around the house as my grandfather, mother and father ran to meet you. By this time, we had entered the house and the door had been safely closed behind us.

"Fiancé? Je suis si éxcitée!" My mother said, hugging me. 'Fiancé? I'm so excited!'

"English please, Fred doesn't understand French!" I repeated. My grandfather shook Fred's hand warmly, with a smile on his face but my father shook Fred's hand rather hard, no trace of a smile on his face.

"Renée, can we talk, een private?" He asked. I nodded my head and followed him to the living room. Everyone else went to the kitchen to get some supper ready.

"I tought you promised zat you wouldn't do anyting wit Fred." He said.

"We didn't! We're engaged! Aren't you happy?" I replied. He wasn't.

"Are you sure?" He asked.

"Of course I'm sure!" I answered.

"You are too young." He argued.

"We're going to wait until I turn eighteen! He's nineteen and will be twenty for the wedding!" I said.

"Are you sure dis eez da man you want to marry?" He asked.

"Of course I am! I wouldn't have agreed to marry him if I didn't like him! I came all this way to see you, aren't you happy to see me?"

"Yes, I am 'appy to see you. But it eez just 'ow much longer I'll be able to see you for!" He said.

"Oh, Papa! I'm not a kid anymore! It's part of life to grow up. Maman always said there's someone special for everyone. You have her and I found Fred. I love him more than anything! We'll still visit you and Maman and maybe live around home in France!" I explained.

"Eef your are 'appy, I am too." My father gave in. I smiled and hugged him.

We walked into the kitchen where everyone was getting to know Fred a bit better as they prepared supper.

"Renée, let me see zat diamond." My grandmother called. I walked to her and held my left hand out. She examined the ring.

"Ah! Yes, zis one eez a keeper! I am proud of you, Renée!" She released my hand and kissed my cheek.

"Do you 'ave a date yet?" My mother asked as she chopped onions.

"Someday in April, Maman. We want to wait until I turn eighteen." I replied.

"Where?" She asked. I looked at Fred, that part wasn't decided yet.

"We don't know yet, Mrs Wheaton." Fred answered, "We sort of want to wait until this war is over before we decide much."

"Well, you are always welcome 'ere. You can stay 'ere until all of zis eez over." My mother replied.

"Sorry, Maman. We're planning on going back to England tomorrow. Harry's our friend. We're going to fight with him."