We Cannot Really Love If We Cannot Laugh

Battle

Fred and I left my grandparents' house with many blessings after Christmas in the States. This time, it was a day flight, so Fred and I talked for a bit before the movie (Mr Bean's Holiday) came on.

"What did your Dad want?" He asked.

"Oh, he's just jealous of you." I explained.

"Jealous? Of me? What's he got to be jealous of?" He asked incredously.

"You're the number one man in my life now." I explained.

"So, he's still your father!" He pointed out.

"I know, I tried to tell him that. I think he's having a hard time believing that I'm growing up and learning to live independantly without him." I said.

Fred placed his hand back on my upper thigh and massaged it again, like on the way there. I kissed him. Too bad it didn't last long, there were little children sitting behind you and made gross noises. We both laughed and watched the movie. It was HILARIOUS! I almost fell out of your seat laughing. The flight was over quickly and we apparated back to the Burrow to check up on things. During the trip, we had almost forgotten about all the turmoil the wizarding world was in now.

Everyone was in travelling cloaks waiting for us.

"What's going on?" I asked. Fred grip on my hand tightened.

"It's begun. You-Know-Who's invaded Hogwarts and the battle is here." Mr Weasley explained. I gasped and put a hand to my mouth.

"We're coming too." I stated. Fred nodded.

"I'm sorry dear, but you're too young and Fred, I'm sure doesn't want anything to happen to you." Mrs Weasley said.

"It's true, Renée. I love you too much to see anything happen to you." Fred said.

"I'll fight alongside you! It'll be alright! I'm not too young! I'm of age!" I protested.

"Tell you what, Renée." Ginny started, "I'm not allowed to fight either. We can hang out together here."

It was too much.

"How are you going to get there then, there's Death Eaters all over Hogsmeade and a curfew! How do you get there undetected?" I challenged.

"There's a man who own the Hog's Head who lives in Hogsmeade. We'll apparate straight there and he'll guide us to Hogwarts undetected." George explained. I was fighting a losing battle. Mr Weasley looked at his watch.

"We'd better get going." He said. Tears were running down my face.

"How will I know if you're still alive?" I asked Fred as he took me in his arms for what may be the last time.

"I'm nineteen years old, I can take care of myself. I promise I'll come back for you. And we can get married next year as we planned. Take care of yourself, I need something to fight for, a reason to keep fighting and a will to live." He said. I stood on my tip-toes and kissed him gently.

"C'mon, we have to get going!" Bill called from outside. Fred broke off the kiss and walked outside. I noticed his eyes were a bit shiny. I watched from the window as they all joined hands and apparated. I couldn't hold them all in anymore.

I collapsed on the ground in sobs. Ginny knelt down and rubbed my back.

"It's going to be alright. Fred made it back here last time, and you guys were just going out then. Now you're engaged and I'm sure he'll make it back in time to marry you. Plus, I have a plan." Ginny consoled me. I looked up.

"What's your plan?" I asked.

"We just have to wait a few minutes, then we can apparate to the Hog's Head and the man there will get us into the castle." She explained. It seemed reasonable enough. I needed to be there.

"Okay. Do you think it's safe now?" I asked her, eager to go.

"Probably. Let's go." She said. We didn't bother with travelling cloaks, we just ran out into the yard, I gripped Ginny's hand and apparated us to the Hog's Head.

We weren't alone. The last person I expected to be there was there, talking to a man with brilliant blue eyes and a long silver beard. This could only be Dumbledore's brother.

"Percy?" Ginny yelled, a little too loudly. Percy spun around.

"Ginny!" He ran to her and tried to hug her. She wouldn't let him.

"What are you doing here?" Ginny asked.

"I was an idiot! I was addicted to my job and didn't have enough time for the more important things! I'm so sorry! I only hope that I'm not too late!" This time Ginny let him hug her.

"What are you doing here?" Percy asked us, "I most certainly didn't expect to see you here, Renée!"

"We'll explain on the way, can you get us to Hogwarts?" I asked the man that so resembled Dumbledore.

"Yes, through here." He pulled a portrait back off the wall and a tunnel appeared there. Ginny, Percy and I ran through it.

"Fred and I are engaged." I told Percy.

"Congratulations." He said.

"This really isn't the time!" Ginny called back to us from the front, where she was sprinting towards the room at the end. It was Percy who burst in first, Ginny and I fell out after him. Most of the Weasley's were there, staring at their family member they had not heard from in three years. Fred caught my eye and grinned.

After some explanations, Percy recieved a hug from everyone and they all charged into the hallways.

"I want the two of you to stay here!" Mrs Weasley called back. Ginny and I grimaced at each other.

A few painful minutes later, Tonks burst into the room, which I had figured to be the Room of Requirement.

"I couldn't stand not knowing!" She said and rushed into the battle.

Ginny and I were playing exploding snap as we heard even bigger explosions that surrounded the Room. Harry, Ron and Hermione burst in.

"I'm sorry, Ginny, Renée, but you have to leave." Ginny and I grinned and rushed out.

We sprinted around the destruction, dodging curses cast by Death Eaters, searching for our family and family-to-be. At last, I saw two pairs of red heads, Fred and Percy duelling the Minister for Magic.

"Hello Minister!" Percy was saying.

"Renée!" Fred called. I ran up to him.

"Did I mention I'm resigning?" Percy told the Minister. I laughed, still hurdling over the rubble to reach Fred.

"You're joking, Perce!" Fred called. Percy sent a jinx at the Minister and he collapsed. I kept running, why was it so hard to get around? Still, it was nice that Fred hadn't lost his sense of humour!

"You actually are joking, Perce....I don't think I've heard you joke since..."

There was an explosion. I didn't know where it came from, but it was huge. I hadn't reached Fred yet. The ceiling collapsed on his figure. I screamed.

"Fred!" I finally got to the spot where he disappeared and me and Percy dug through the bits of ceiling to get him out. The tears were running down my face again. Percy pulled the limp form that was Fred out of the debris.

"No!" I bellowed. He promised nothing would happen to him! We were going to be married! I couldn't take this. He said he loved me, why did he have to die? I wrapped my arms around him.

He was still smiling at Percy, however his eyes were blank and his body was lifeless. I kissed him one last time. His lips were still warm. I couldn't do this anymore. The one man I had ever truly loved was dead. It was all unbelieveable. I wanted out!

I left Fred with Percy and Ron who appeared out of nowhere. I ran out of the castle. I couldn't see or hear the jinxes cast all around me, some of them aimed at me. I didn't care if I got hit. I didn't have any reason to live anymore.

I kept running, over bodies, through debris and blood. No curse or jinx ever hit me. I reached the Hogwarts boundaries and disapparated, I didn't know where, I just remebered seeing the picture in an old textbook and remembered that I had always wanted to go there. I didn't care if it was the North Pole, I just wanted to get away from all of this.