We Cannot Really Love If We Cannot Laugh

Waiting

Life goes on. It was true that for the next few weeks Fred was too busy to write proper letters to me, let alone finding time to visit me. I seriously considered skipping the rest of the year. But my parents would disown me and I needed to finish school up in order to get into seventh year. I wished something exciting would happen! Sadly, my wish came true a few days before school ended.

I awoke in the middle of the night to screams and shouts in the hallway. I threw some clothes on and bolted out of the Dormitory to see what was going on.

People were everywhere! Running in every direction and screaming. I saw men in masks and black robes. Death Eaters? At Hogwarts? How did they get in? The only question I could answer was that they had to be fought off. I pointed my wand at the nearest one.

"Petrificus Totallus!" I shouted. The man went stiff as a board and toppled over. I hurdled over his body and kept running. I overheard a group of girls.

"Dumbledore...dead!"

What? That couldn't be true! Dumbledore was the most powerful wizard I knew! How could he die? But if he was still alive, how did all these Death Eaters get in? I kept running until you got to the bottom of the Astronomy tower where most of the action seemed to be happening. There were Death Eaters and DA members everywhere! Curses were bouncing all around.

"Renée! Get out of here!" I heard someone shout. I turned, it was Fred.

"Fred! What's going on?" I bellowed.

"I don't know, but from what I've heard, Snape killed Dumbledore and he and Draco Malfoy are trying to get out! But don't worry about them! Promise me you'll go right ba..." He was cut off as a stunning spell cast by a Death Eater hit him on the leg. He keeled over limp. I screamed. I couldn't leave him here where he would most likely be killed. So I hoisted him from his armpits and, making sure the coast was clear ahead, I dragged him back to the Ravenclaw Dormitory and lifted him onto a couch.

"Relevius!" I said and pointed my wand at him. His eyelids fluttered open. He smiled.

"I knew I could count on you to look out for me if I failed to." He laughed. I rolled my eyes.

"Do you know about what this is all about? Why can't I fight?" I demanded.

"Don't I at least get a kiss 'Hello'?" He asked. I smiled and kissed him quickly on his lips.
I tried to break off, but he grabbed the back of my neck and held me close. I sighed and enjoyed it. It had been almost a month since I had last felt this. We both ended it at the same time.

"So, what's going on?" You prompted him again.

"Well, from what I've heard, Draco somehow mended that old Vanishing Cabinet, you know, the one me and George forced Montague into last year." I nodded to show that I understood, "And apparently there's another one in a dark shop in Knockturn Alley so they acted like a passageway and the Death Eaters simply had to go to that store, enter the cabinet and they'd end up in Hogwarts." I nodded again. He went on.

"Snape and Draco and a few other Death Eaters somehow cornered Dumbledore at the top of the Astronomy tower and Snape killed him." He ended. I gasped. So it was true. I felt my eyes go moist.

"Then how did you find out about this?" I asked.

"George and I were examining those DA coins to see if we could make a new product using the same method when they started burning and summoned us back here. I don't know what happened to George, I'm just happy I found you and you're safe!" At this point, there were tears steaming down my face.

Fred lifted his hands to my face and wiped them away.

"Don't worry Renée. It's all going to end up fine. I'll stay here with you until everything's settled down. You should probably go back to bed." He suggested.

I nodded and rested my head on his lap and drifted slowly off to sleep.

I woke up the next morning and, to my great happiness, Fred was still there. I got up quietly so you wouldn't disturb him and went for a little walk down the hallway.

There was marble and curtains and glass everywhere. They probably hadn't had a chance to clean up from last night. I tried walking for a bit, but after a while, it got hard and annoying stepping over everything, so I headed back. Fred had just woken up.