Loser, Whatever!

Cold Feet

I had no idea what to do. This had never happened to me before, and to be honest, it freaked me out! So I did the only reasonable think I could think of: I deleted the conversation window. Then I turned off my computer.

As soon as all the lights on the computer were off, I felt terrible. What kind of a horrible person did that? The guy just asked me out and I totally rejected him. Well, I didn't want to reject him, but I also didn't want to accept. This was confusing. Sure, I really liked him, but I realized that a little too late. I was such a coward! Just sticking my head in the sand and hoping the problem would go away.

Sure, I could have turned the computer back on again and faced him, but like I said, I was a coward. I still had some things I needed to sort out with myself before I finalized anything. With a sinking heart, I realized that he would probably never speak to me again. If there was anything I knew about boys, it was that they were very sensitive and it took them a lot of courage to ask a girl out. This information only made me feel worse. So I did the only thing that I knew would comfort me: I grabbed my notebook and pen from my desk and continued writing.

'"So, why am I here?" Fran asked. Destry had been facing the opposite direction with a look of intense concentration on his face. He turned at the sound of her voice, hesitated yet again, and then answered.

"I don't think now is the right time for you to know." He replied with a slight smile on his lips.She noticed he hadn't met her eyes yet, and thought is was pretty rude of him. She had no idea why, but Fran shivered. It had nothing to do with Destry, but all of a sudden, her body temperature dropped.

"Oh." Fran was disappointed, but not discouraged. At he was sort of answering questions now, "So, what exactly is the purpose of the Space Between?"

Again, Destry hesitated before answering, "Do you believe in mythical creatures?"

Fran was taken aback. She hadn't expected her answer to come in the form of a question. And a strange question at that.

"Uh, I guess it depends on the type of mythical creature." She replied hesitantly.

"How about vampires?" Destry elaborated, still not letting their eyes meet.

"I don't know, I never really thought about it." Fran explained truthfully, "Why?"

"That's the purpose of the Space Between. It's a safe haven for vampires. There are a few on Earth, but they're really not happy, and the only reason they're still there is because they're new and haven't discovered this place yet. No one really wants to have the deaths of multiple people on their hands, because vampires need human blood to live. They have no choice. They come here because no humans are allowed here and they lose their thirst for blood as soon as they enter."

This took a while to sink in. Fran took the words in one by one, each one as unconvincing as the next. Vampires? It just didn't make sense! But she felt a strange inclination to believe him, there was something about Destry. But wait, if she was human, and this place was full of vampires...

"Wait, wait, wait. What's going on here? Why did you bring me here? I'll totally ruin the purpose of this place! I'll bring the thirst back and it won't be safe anymore!" Surprisingly, it wasn't her own life she was worried for, it was the fact that she would manage to single-handedly destroy this haven. To her amazement, Destry chuckled, still staring at the ground.

"Hold on, that means you're a vampire, doesn't it?" Fran almost whispered.

"Yes." He replied as calmly as if they were discussing the weather, but he still didn't let his eyes meet hers, "And you don't have to worry about the other things either. I've already had it taken care of."

"What do you mean?" Fran asked, confused.

"I've already changed you. Have you noticed the drop in your body temperature?" The boy explained just as casually as before. It was driving Fran crazy that he didn't even look at her!

"Yes, I did." She debated on whether or not she should ask him why he wasn't looking at her, but he interrupted before she could come to a conclusion.

It wasn't with words, but he finally raised his beautiful green eyes to meet hers and Fran felt the weirdest sensation flow through her body. She forgot all about her becoming a vampire, she forgot her family was dead, or dying. She forgot where she was and all the questions she wanted to ask. All that mattered was Destry, the Keeper of the Space Between, standing right in front of her. She felt her mouth drop, but made no move to do anything about it.Their eyes were locked on each other and she wondered if she would ever find the strength to look away. Finally, Destry spoke.

"Do you feel it?" He whispered, still holding her gaze. She nodded.

"What is it?" She asked.

"It's called 'Amore Allineare.' It only happens with vampires and it happens only when they see a certain person." Destry explained, he was as breathless as Fran was.

"What does that mean?" The questions were slowly coming back to Fran.

"It's the reason I brought you here." Destry elaborated, but it still didn't make sense to Fran.

"I thought you brought me here because I was in danger on Earth." Fran remembered, his eyes were so gorgeous. She was totally mesmerized by their beautiful jade green color.

"Well yes, but it was also because of amore allineare. The latter being the biggest factor. You see, once you see the person that shares amore allineare, it's impossible to go back to a normal life. I needed you here." Destry was inching himself closer to Fran.

"But that still doesn't explain what it is." Fran pointed out. This time, she let him get closer. Destry sighed.

"It only happens when you find your true love. That's what amore allineare means." Destry let the words sink in as Fran pondered them.'

I put the notebook down because I still didn't know how Fran was going to react to all this. Besides, I had my own love life problems to work out.

I knew I was going to have to face Oliver sooner or later. He would come here, I knew he would. In a way, I wanted him too, just to figure out id this was for real or not. But a small part of me, the coward, didn't want him to. What if this was juts a big practical joke? What if he wasn't sober when he was talking to me? Hey! It could happen!

I sighed and did the only other thing that made sense in my small, messed up world: I pulled my shoes off, jumped onto my bed and cried myself to sleep.