Loser, Whatever!

Right

It was surprisingly quiet the next morning when I woke up. I knew it was Saturday, so Kurt would definately have a sports practice and my father would be off work. But why was it so quiet? I looked at the clock: 10:47. Oh. That would explain it, Kurt was probably already at whichever practice he had today.

I sat up, stretched and climbed out of bed. I pulled on a plain chocolate brown t-shirt with a white tank-top layered underneath and beige knee-length shorts. Then I walked to the kitchen to find out if anyone was here. I found my mom sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in front of her.

"Good morning, dear." She greeted me as she smiled ruefully. Something was up.

"Um, hi mom." I replied, "Where is everyone?"

"Your father took Kurt to soccer, it's been a while since they've spent any time alone together and I thought it would be nice for us to spend some time together." Okay, this was definitely not normal.

"What's going on, mom?" I demanded. She sighed, then waved her wand and made a magazine appear out of thin air. I recognized it as Witch Weekly, however, I also recognized the couple on the cover.

I gasped audibly and grabbed at the magazine. It was me and Oliver kissing, pulling apart and smiling, then kissing over and over again. The caption read, 'Has Britain's Most Eligible Bachelor Eligible No More?' Oh man! I hated it when my parents were right! I flipped to page four where the cover indicated the article was.

'After the Puddlemere United's triumphant win over the Falmouth Falcons yesterday, their Keeper almost immediately flew off in the direction of the box seating section and was seen embrasing a young woman by the name of Bridget Isenburg.

Now the question remains, who is Bridget Isenburg and why was Oliver Wood seen kissing her? Isenburg apparated as soon as the picture was taken and Wood refused comment. Why the secret?

Witch Weekly reporters hope to start investigation as soon as possible, more to follow next week.'

It was an incredibly short article for a cover page story. But what really got me was how they misspelled my name! Both of them! I knew I had different spelling and the last name was german, but for some reason, it really ticked me off. I looked up at my mom, a horrified expression on my face.

"I'm sorry, dear. I hate to say 'I told you so' but..."

"Then don't!" I was so mad, I never behaved like this before, and I was starting to think it was good for me.

"Letters have been arriving since this morning." She continued calmly and handed me aneat stack of enveloppes. I leafed though them and selected on that had the Witch Weekly seal on it.

'Dear Ms. Isenburg,

How are your holidays so far? I'm hoping you are in good health and enjoyed yesterday's Quidditch game thoroughly.

I am writing to request an interview for next week's edition of Witch Weekly. You may send me an owl, it will know where to find me. Please reply within the next two days.

Hoping you are well,

Katrina Payne
Witch Weekly Magazine
Gossip Department'

I crumpled the letter up as soon as I finished it. I spread the rest of the enveloppes out on the table, I didn't recognize the writing on any of them. A navy blue one called out to me (not literally) and I reached for that one next. I noted the the sender had spelled my name right, like none of the others did.

'Bridgette,

I just want you to know that I'm so sorry for what happened. I didn't know the reporters would be following me that soon after the game and I wasn't being as careful as I should have. I seem to be getting you in more trouble than I'm worth.

I hope I'm still allowed to see you tomorrow!

Oliver'

He was too nice. He was such a sweet, famous boy. Was he saying he didn't deserve someone like me? Ha! If it was one of us who didn't deserve the other, it was me! I tapped my wand on the table and a fresh piece of parchment, a quill and some ink appeared in front of me. I cleared the envelopes so I had some space to write.

'Oliver,

Don't worry about it. My mom got my dad out of the house, so he probably doesn't even know about it yet. Hopefully, he never will, he was pretty against me dating you because of the photographers following you. But no worries! You're worth all the trouble I can handle, which lately, is a lot.

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Bridgette'

My mother waved her wand and summoned her owl, knowing what I was doing. I opened the cage, tied the letter to the black owl's leg, opened the kitchen window and it flew off.

"Thanks." I said.

"You should probably tend to these others, I doubt they'll need replies." She sighed and got up from the table, leaving me to 'tend to the others.' I grabbed another one, my name spelled wrong, of course, and opened it.

'To Bridget Isenburg,

I just want you to know that Oliver Wood is my future husband. So if you know what's good for you, you won't get involved!'

The was no signature at the bottom and the letters were cut out of newspaper and magazines. I laughed and threw it away.

The rest of the letters were similar to the first, demanding I leave Oliver alone because they had planned on marrying him, a few had curses on them, but the green enveloppes were a give-away, so I disposed of them properly. There were also a couple Howlers. I got those over with as soon as possible. I don't think I was going to be very popular with the magical community and I was grateful that I lived in a Muggle inhabited area.

It took a good hour to get through the letters, and still more came. But I only had time for the one in the navy blue enveloppe that came from my mother's owl.

'Bridgette,

Are you sure it's fine? Have you been getting crap mail like I have? Mine's mainly stuff about how I should dump you because countless other young ladies have their hearts set on marrying me. Don't worry! That won't happen. I'd rather have you than thousands of them. Your father doesn't like me, eh? I am your first boyfriend, am I not? Then I can understand. It's part of the parenting thing that means he's not ready for you to grow up. He'll get over it eventually.

I'll be over at 1:00, so prepare your parents for that time. I was thinking we'd go for a bit of a walk, then to a favorite place of mine. Are you very opposed to shopping? Don't eat supper!

Oliver'

I laughed out loud at our similar situations about the mail. It made sense. It also made sense about my father. I'd read aboutgirls who get their first boyfriends and the father freaks. I'm hoping my dad's reaction was somewhat normal. He'll have to get used to it. I wrote back right away.

'Oliver,

Yep, the mail here's pretty much the same. I'm not going to be very popular when I get back to school. Don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault. I never was popular at school, I'm pretty much a freak already.

I'm not very opposed to shopping. And I don't think there's much of a chance on my eating supper before 1:00. I'll break it to my mom, she'll take it better than my dad.

Bridgette'

I sealed the letter, then sent it along with the owl. I wondered what he had in mind. I knew he was taking me shopping then out to dinner, but I wanted to be surprised by his favorite place.

I remembered I hadn't had breakfast yet and by now it was nearing lunch time. I sighed as another unfamiliar owl zoomed in through the open window. The neighbors might get a little creeped out by the sudden presence of owls, but that wasn't what bothered me. Instead I wondered if I really was going to be disliked at school. But then again, this relationship might not last the summer. As much as I hated ot think about that, I really wanted it to last. A white owl with grey streaks flew in, dropped it's letter, then out again. I exhaled and started getting some lunch together. It was going to be a long day.