Loser, Whatever!

New Friends

There were speeches at the beginning, but I didn't pay much attention to them. It was just a bunch of old guys talking about how they hoped this was a good year for England in World Cup and thanking a bunch of other old guys for organizing it.

"And now, without further ado, the English National Quidditch team!" Ludo Bagman boomed across the room, "The Chasers: Hart Spencer!" There was applause as Hart stood up and waved, "Gregory Janson!" More applause as Greg stood up and waved, "And Peter Habgoode!" Applause, "The Beaters: Frank Doff!" Frank stood up to applause, "Captain, Wade Higgins!" There were cheers as the captain stood up, "Keeper: Oliver Wood!" I cheered as Oliver stood up and waved, "And Seeker: Jered Hassle!" Applause, "Now that you know the team, we can start eating!"
The meal was set up similarily to the Yule Ball at Hogwarts. The were a small menu in front of every plate and you simply told the plate what you wanted andthe food appeared. I draped my jacket across the back of my chair before ordering.

"Prime rib." I said to the plate and a platefull of the stuff appeared.

"That looks good! I think that's what I'm having." Oliver stated, "Prime rib!"

"So, Bridgette, have you finished school yet?" Janna asked over her plate of seafood.

"Not yet, I'm going into the seventh year." I told her.

"Oh, well that's close enough, so you're seventeen then?"

"Yeah, how about you?" She took a bite of shrimp before she answered.

"Eighteen. So we're pretty close, when's your birthday?" She asked.

"July 11th." I replied.

"Cool! Mine's May 18th." She told me, "So how did you meet Oliver?"

"It's actually an interesting story, I was hanging out all by myself, getting along just fine," I stopped and smiled at Oliver's grimacing face.

"You know what? Why don't we switch seats, I don't like being the guy in the middle, and I need to talk to Frank." He suggested.

"Good idea." I smiled and we switched spots, "Anyway, I was in a little cafe, and Oliver comes up and asks if he can sit with me. At this point, I have no idea who he is. But then eventually, he tells me and I freak. We've been going out ever since." Janna laughed.

"That's pretty cool. Jered and I just met at a game and got along really well, nothing really interesting about that." She shrugged her shoulders.

"Sure there is, there were probably millions of other girls there, and he chose you!" I exclaimed.

"I guess that's pretty cool. So how, do you find the trials of being the girlfriend of an international Quidditch player?" She chuckled.

"Trials? That's the price you pay for going out with me!" Jered jumped into the conversation adn took Janna's hand.

"It's actually not that bad." I reflected.

"Not that bad? I saw you on the cover of Witch Weekly! That alone was way worse that I've even had it." Janna pointed out.

"Well, yeah, but I'm thinking that was only because Oliver was the last member of the team to get a girlfriend." I explained.

"Ah, yeah, I guess that makes sense." Janna agreed.

"How bad did you have it?" I asked.

"I was only in the papers on game days, so that wasn't too bad, but they kept calling me 'Jenna.' I hated it!" She exclaimed.

"I feel your pain, they kept spelling my name wrong too." I sympathized.

"But when we get engaged, they'll get it right, right Jered?" Janna nudged Jered.

"Huh?" He looked surprised and Janna and I laughed.

By now we were ready for desert. I had a fruit salad as did Janna. It was divine.

"You ready to dance, Bridgette?" Oliver asked when he finished his cake.

"What?" He caught me off guard there.

"Didn't I tell you? All the team members and their dates have to start the dancing." He explained, amusement all over his face.

"Uh, no, you didn't mention that part." I glowered.

"Oh, come on, Bridgette, I'm going too." Janna piped up, she was already standing up with Jered handing her hand. I turned back to Oliver who was offering his hand to me. I sighed and took it then stood up.

"It's not that hard, I'll show you." Oliver stated as he led me out to the dance floor where the majority of the team was already dancing with their dates, "Now, place your hand on my shoulder and the other in my hand."

"I know how that part works." I assured him.

"Great! Now, step forward, right, back, left, forward...that's it!" He praised me. It actually wasn't that bad. Once I got the hang of it, I turned my gaze from our feet and looked at his face, he was smiling. I was starting to enjoy myself when the song ended.

"Do you want to keep dancing?" He asked. I looked around, there were more couples on the floor now.

"Uh, let's wait until later when it's less crowded." I answered.

"Sure, no problem." He said and led me back to our seats, Janna and Jered had returned as well.

"Too crowded for you?" Janna asked. I nodded.

"We'll try again later."

"Good plan."