Loser, Whatever!

Champions no More

Oliver did manage to get me out on the dance floor a few more times before the night ended. I had to admit that it was really fun!

The evening ended at midnight, which was pushing my curfew, but we were having such a good time that we lost track of it. I bid goodbye to Janna, who promised to stay in touch and we vowed to meet up when the World Cup started on Monday and sit together. By now, my family had lost interest in Quidditch and it was just me attending the games. It would be nice to have someone else there to talk to during the slow parts. I returned the extra tickets to Oliver and he promised to find homes for them.

Oliver and I apparated to the same place we had two weeks ago and walked back home hand-in-hand. I stiffled a yawn, but Oliver noticed anyway.

"Tired?" He asked.

"Yeah." I mumbled.

"You'll get used to the late nights." He assured me.
"I will?" This was news to me!

"Well, that is, if you still want to come to those after-parties." He stuttered.

"Oliver, my dad would flip! You know his reaction to those sort of things." I reminded him.

"I just thought that maybe now that you were of age..." He started, but never continued.

"Hey! That's right! He doesn't have the right anymore to tell me what to do! Maybe I'll take you up on that party offer, Oliver." I reflected.

He smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulder, "Good." Was all he said. By then we were at my front door. The lights were on, so I knew my parents were waiting for me.

"I really hope I'll see you more often now." Oliver grinned.

"Me too. Until Monday, then." I was about to walk in, but he stopped me.

"I can't let you go without a goodnight kiss!" He was appalled. I laughed.

"Okay." I stood on tip-toes, but he closed the distance before I could reach.

"See you Monday." He breathed.

"I'll be there." I whispered back. Then I walked inside.

Surprisingly, my parents were not in the living room. I decided not to call them because then I would risk waking Kurt.

"Turn the light off when you're done!" I heard my mom call which pretty much gave me a heart attack. They were upstairs, already in bed. I didn't reply, but I did turn the light off before I headed to my room.

The next day, I sort of felt like writing, but I had no idea what happened next in the story. I was really just winging it. So instead, I brainstormed. (not entirely made up! haha)I recieved an owl that I didn't recognize in the early afternoon.

'Bridgette-

Hey, it's me, Janna. Just thought you should know that I'll be at the pitch for 12:30 tomorrow, the game starts at 1:00, but Jered wanted me to be there earlier for him. Maybe you'll be doing the same for Oliver! Anyways, if you wanted to meet up, there's the VIP seating we've both been assigned, I'll meet you at the entrance!

-Janna

P.S. Nice picture of us in the Prophet!'

What? There was a another picture in the paper! I bolted to the living room where I could usually find a copy of the newspaper on the coffee table. I flicked to the sports section, and there it was.

It was so big, it took up half the page. The headline was 'Divine Start to Quidditch World Cup!' The picture was of the dance floor with Oliver and I dancing next to Jered and Janna. Well, at least it was a good picture, and they managed to spell all the names right. That was a blessing.

"Looks like you had a pretty good time last night." I jumped. I didn't notice my dad was right there.

"Oh, definitely, it was so much fun!" I sputtered.

"I'm glad. You know, Bridgette, I haven't seen you this happy for as long as I can remember. It's good to see the other side of you." He said, completely honestly. I felt my cheeks darken.

"Thanks, Dad." I mumbled, then took off for my room.

The next day, I dressed in a pale orange camisole with my light green jacket over top. I put on a pair of knee-length jean shorts and grabbed my messenger bag again and put my trusty sunglasses on. Just for the effect, and Oliver reaction, I wrapped the white scarf around my neck. I called out to my parents that I was leaving at around 12:30 with ticket in my pocket. As soon as I was sure no Muggles watching, I apparated to the stadium in northern England.

When I got there, both teams were warming up. England in red, white and blue and Ireland in green, white and orange. I quickly spotted Janna at the top of the stands, the stadium was filling up quickly, so I had to fight through the crowd to get to her at the top of the stands.

"Hey! You made it!" She exclaimed when I reached her. She too was sporting a large pair of sunglasses.

"Barely." I said and she laughed.

"C'mon, we'd better get to our seats." She led me through the gates where a security guard checked our tickets. We had barely sat down when two red, blue and white blurs shot towards us.

"You made it!" Jered said before he kissed Janna hello. Oliver wrapped his arm around my waist.

"Eww, you're sweaty!" I teased, "Why are you sweaty already? You haven't even started!"

"Warm-up." Oliver explained, then wrapped the other arm around me and kissed me.

"Oh, good going, you guys! Now the reporters have spotted us! This is what I meant about the trials of being your girlfriend on Saturday, Jered." Janna mocked fury.

"Got to go!" Jered laughed and took off.

"You'll hang around after the game, right?" Oliver confirmed.

"Definitely." I aswered.

"Awesome." He kissed me one last time before he took off and about ten reporters soon replaced both boys.

"How does it feel to be the girlfriends of members of the National Quidditch team?" One shouted out, other questions were similar.

"It feels great, we're very proud of them." Janna answered.

"They're very talented and definitely deserve this." I added.

Soon after this, the game started and they scattered to cover England's first World Cup game. The winner of this advanced to the quarter finals against Japan who won their game yesterday.

"I really like that scarf." Janna commented.

"Thanks." I replied, my attention on the game.

"Are you one of those people who like Quidditch?" She asked, not unkindly. I snapped out of it.

"Of course, aren't you?" I asked.

"Well, sort of, but apparently not as intense as you!" She laughed. I laughed with her.

I like your bracelet." I complimented. The bracelet was hemp with wooden beads, "Did you make it?"

"Yeah, if you want, I can make you one too." She offered.

"That would be amazing!" I smiled.

"AND HE'S CAUGHT THE SNITCH!!!" Ludo Bagman's voice reverberated though the pitch. Janna and I quickly snapped back to the game to see who had caught the Snitch. We breathed a sigh of relief as we saw Jered soaring through the sky with the glittering Snitch in his fist. That was the thing about Quidditch matches, you never knew how long they would last.

Ireland looked gobsmacked. This must be weird for them, being the champions last year and losing in the first round this year. They would never know what hit them, but they had been eliminated with ten minutes of the World Cup. Janna and I were jumping around the box, cheering ourselves hoarse.