Loser, Whatever!

Truly

Rick never left my side for the next few weeks at school, and I had to admit I was getting attached to him. The whole school seemed confused about how the handsome, rich young Healing patient had fallen for someone as plain and normal as me. But then the rumors started about how I was Oliver Wood’s boyfriend last year and I had a ‘thing’ for gorgeous boyfriends. There was talk of love potions, but Rick and I ignored them. It would be a lie to say that for the first time in more than a year I was really and truly happy. But happiness wasn’t so far away.

"My parents sent me a letter the other day." Rick brought up one December afternoon at lunch.

"Really? That’s nice." I meant that. My parents hadn’t contacted me since the summer and no one else worth mentioning was even allowed to send me anything.

"Aren’t you curious about what they said?" He smiled.

"Should I be?" I grinned back at him.

"I would say. They’ve invited you over for Christmas holidays!" He exclaimed.

"Are you serious?" I was gobsmacked, for lack of a better word. I had spent the last Christmas alone and crying. I was actually dreading the upcoming holiday, I sort of hoped Rick had something in mind for that.

"Dead serious. I’ve told them all about you and they’re desperate to meet you." He confirmed, "So what do you think?"

"I’d love to spend Christmas with your family!" I answered, getting out of my chair and hugging him. This couldn’t be easier. There would be no homework during the break so I had no idea how I would manage to keep my mind off certain things. It was perfect! Rick could keep me distracted and I could meet his family at the same time.

We had been going out for three months now. And as aforementioned, I wasn’t truly happy. I couldn’t help but remember that fateful summer when he said that three months was the point of no return. Did that mean I was going to marry Rick? I was starting to grow to love him, maybe it wasn’t impossible... and now I was meeting the parents, were we getting serious?

"I’m so glad!" His response brought me back to the situation at hand.

"When do we leave?" I asked.

"The day the Holidays start, as soon as school’s out." He answered.

"That doesn’t give me much time!" I commented as this was the last Wednesday of school and the Holidays started Friday as soon as the school day was over.

"What do you need time for? All you really need to do is pack!" Rick laughed.

"Yeah, but I need to know how to behave and what to wear and what I should or shouldn’t say!" I was freaking out. If this really was the point of no return, I needed to be on my best behavior.

"Don’t worry about it! You’ll do fine! Just act and wear exactly what you act and wear in front of me. They’ll like you for who you are." He placed his hands on my shoulders.

"Are you sure?" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Positive." He replied and our lips met.

I was getting used to these kisses, I must admit. I still preferred another set of lips, a set of lips I always pictured were there instead of the ones that actually were. But Rick was getting better at kissing. Better to the point where these kisses were actually pleasurable.

"You ready for Charms?" He asked when we broke off.

"Yeah, you set for Herbology?" I asked.

"Sure am, I’ll see you in Potions." He let go of my hands, which he had grasped during the kiss and we headed in opposite directions.

As soon as I got home that night, I pulled my dusty old suitcase out of the closet and immediately emptied threw four good dresses into it. I knew I should have used a garment bag, but I was a Witch! I could smooth them out when we got there.

As for the rest to pack, I had no idea. Rick said to pack what I would usually wear, but what did he know? Most of the time he saw me in my ugly school uniform. I opened my dresser drawers and pulled some dress shirts, the few skirts I owned and some nice pants out then folded them carefully and placed them on top on the dresses. I glanced back into the closet where my first dress hung. I never took this one out and it was usually hidden behind the newer dresses.

There were too many memories with this dress. I remembered the day I bought it and the night I wore it. I opened another drawer to reveal the white scarf I wore with it.

I slammed the closet door shut, tears welling up in my eyes and shut the drawer again. Sometimes I wondered why I kept these. If I threw them out, I would save myself so much pain every time I saw them. But I couldn’t. It was almost as if it were an insult to his memories that we shared together.

I quickly pulled myself back together and set my mind back to the task at hand. Soon enough, I had packed my suitcase full for two weeks. Well, that was out of the way now, and I still had a few hours until it was a proper enough time to go to bed.

The homework was all I had to keep my mind off those things that haunted me in my bedroom. I picked my bag up and started on my Transfiguration homework. Why couldn’t I concentrate? Was I too excited for Christmas that I wouldn’t be spending alone? My mind was wondering and I had to force myself to concentrate. Was I truly falling in love with Rick Stewart? If not, then why couldn’t I keep him off my mind?