Loser, Whatever!

Spring

Spring had sprung at school. The snow melted leaving the ground muddy, but otherwise green and squishy. The trees were covered with orange and pink blossoms, raining petals on people when they were near. The squirrells were back for the year, as were the rabbits and birds.

Spring also meant the end of the year was within sight and with the end of the year came exams. The scene in my living room had not changed. Rick was over as often as he could be helping me study for finals. When he couldn't make it to my place, I went to his.

"Do you feel like a change of scenery?" He asked one particularily boring Saturday afternoon. We decided against visiting his parents like we did every weekend to help plan the wedding that I knew was never going to happen.

"Sure." I said, snapping out of my day dream that involved a much different person than the one in front of me.

He got up and took my hand. It was so unfair that he always had to look so happy whenever he was with me. It made me feel so bad about what I was about to do to him.

"Where are you taking me?" I asked.

"You'll see." He said. Ugh, I was beginning to get tired of surprises.

He led me outside, it was warm enought to lose the jackets, and we apparated.

I opened my eyes to a lush green meadow. There was no mud here. It was a wide open clearing surrounded by weeping willows. There were wildflowers among the trees of every colour. I heard the faint trickle of a nearby river.

"It's beautiful." I breathed and let go of his hand to investigate.

"Beautiful enough for a wedding?" He asked as he followed me. I stopped. Then realization hit.

"This is the place you had in mind for the wedding?" I choked. It was so perfect! I almost felt bad about calling the wedding off. Almost.

"Yeah! What do you think?" He wrapped his arms around my waist. I heard a faint whistling that couldn't be the river or the wind. Definitely human. There was a rustling in the trees and a very familiar human appeared.

"Hey! What a surprise!" Oliver Wood greeted as he caught a glimpse of us.

"Oliver, what are you doing here?" I asked through clenched teeth.

"Oh, just doing some hiking. What might you be doing here, Brigette?"

"Who is this?" Rick whispered in my ear.

"Rick, this is my friend, Oliver Wood. Oliver, this is my fiancé, Rick Stewart." I emphasized the 'fiancé.'

"A pleasure to finally meet you." Oliver stuck his hand out for Rick to shake, which Rick took reluctantly.

"If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing here?" Rick asked a little defensively. He knew that Oliver and I dated a while ago, he had a right to be suspicious.

"Oh, well there's a story behind that," he started, I couldn't believe he was doing this. My mouth hung open in shock. "We met in a café near Bridgette's house a couple summers ago, and ever since then, I can't seem to be able to stop thinking about her."

"Is this guy for real?" Rick whispered in my ear. Before I could answer, Oliver did.

"Oh, I'm for real, and I'm sure Bridgette feels exactly the same way about me." Oliver said, grinning. I couldn't believe him.

"Is this true, Bridgette?" Rick moved in front of my and placed both hands on my shoulders. I sighed.

"Yes. It's true. Wait!" Rick made every sign of outburst, "I know we ended up broken up, but that doesn't mean I don't love you. You were the person who helped me out of my depression. I care about you so much and I had every intention of marrying you, quite possibly right here." I gestured around the meadow.

"You said 'had.'" Rick reminded me.

"Yeah, I met Oliver again in March, and ever since, I knew I couldn't marry you anymore." I hung my head in shame. I hoped It wouldn't go like this.

"Why didn't you tell me?" He whispered.

"I didn't want to hurt you." I studied the ground. I couldn't bear to face him. I heard footsteps moving away from me, then the faint 'pop' as he apparated.