Loser, Whatever!

Shopping

"Well, I have practice, but I'll try to stop by tonight." Oliver said and kissed his mother's cheek, then my lips, then he headed out.

Margot took my hand and apparated with me to a place she had in mind for the wedding dress. When I opened my eyes, the sun was shining bright, so I put my sunglasses on. Then I regonized where we were.

"Madam Malkin's?" I asked incredulously.

"Of course! She has the best selection of bridal wear anywhere." Margot explained.

"I never knew that!" I exclaimed.

"Haven't you ever been in the store?" This time it was Margot's turn to look incredulous.

"Well, yeah, but only for uniforms." I said.

"Oh, well the dresses and such are in the back of the store, dear." Margot explained.

"Um... do we really have to be here, though?" It was a pretty busy day in Diagon Alley and my picture had been all over England this morning.

"If we hurry, I don't think you'll be recognized." Margot smiled as she read my mind and we hurried into the store. Which was mercifully empty except for Madam Malkin herself.

"Hello, ladies. How may I help you?" Madam Malkin asked as she bustled over.

"We're looking for a wedding dress for Bridgette." Margot explained. Recognition dawned on Madam Malkin's face.

"Of course! I knew you looked familiar!" She exclaimed, "Just back here are where we keep our gowns."

She led us to the back of the store where I had never been before. Sure enough, there was a rack that stretched from the East wall to the West wall where white wedding gowns hung from delicate silk hangers.

"Now, when will you be married?" Madam Malkin asked.

I hesitated. Oliver and I were being very careful with who we trusted with the date of our wedding. Anyone could tell anyone. And we didn't want too many people in on it.

"Don't worry about me! I just want to know what type of dress you're looking for." Madam Malkin assured me.

"Oh! Well, it's a Fall wedding." I supplied, relieved.

"Hmm... Fall..." Madam Malkin mumbled as she flipped through the dresses. "Now from here," She gestured to where she was standing with an arm between two dresses, "to the wall are all Fall type dresses. You can browse through them and select the ones you like."

"Okay, thanks." I said and began looking at each dress. Margot helped.

Hmm... too frilly... too sparkly... too poofy... too thick... too embellished... too fancy... too low-cut... By the time I got to the end of the rack, I had selected three dresses that I liked.

"You can try them on in here." Madam Malkin gestured to the changerooms and with a flick of her wand, a door to one of them opened. I stepped inside with the dresses. There wasn't much room for me to move arounf with three big dresses in there with me, but somehow, I managed.

The first one was made entirely out of silk and was strapless. I got it on and liked the feel of it, but when I looked into the mirror, I realized it was a lot more low-cut than I thought! I smiled as I remembered that conversation Oliver and I had about my cleavage. I was too embarassed to walk outside the changeroom to show Margot. So I called out to them that I didn't like it and moved on to the next one.

This one had sleeves that hung off the shoulders and clung to my upper arms. It had a filmy layer over the skirt with glitter and jewels sewed on to it and embellishments on the bodice. It was a little tight, but they could get a better size, right? I liked the way it looked in the mirror, so I walked outside to show Madam Malkin and Margot.

"Oh, my dear! You were made to wear that dress!" Margot exclaimed.

"You look stunning, Bridgette, honey." Madam Malkin agreed. "Just try on the other and we'll see what you think."

I got back in the changeroom, which seemed bigger as Madam Malkin had removed the first dress and changed into the last one. I could barely stand in the changeroom, the dress was so poofy! I stepped outside and I could tell by the looks on their faces that this one was no good. So I went back in to change out of it.

"So, are we going with the second one, then dear?" Madam Malkin called.

"Yeah." I answered.

"I'll just get one in your size and we can fit it." There were footsteps as she disappeared into the back room, then she flipped a new dress over the door to the room. I changed into it. Ah! This one fit much better! I walked out and stood on the stool that appeared with a flick from Madam Malkin's wand and she began hemming it and fixing the fit.

There was a tinkle of bells, but it took me a moment to register the fact that this meant someone had entered the store. By then, it was too late.

"Bridgette?" I turned and faced Harry Potter for the first time I could remember.

"Harry Potter? What are you doing here?" I asked. Why was he acknowledging me?

"I need new dress robes. Ron and Hermione are getting married." He explained and gestured to the selection of wizard's robes in front of him. "So it's true then. You and Oliver are getting married."

"Yep." I answered, that was pretty much all I could think to say. I looked over at him, he was studying the ground. "Are you okay?"

"Well, it's just, I didn't get an invitation. I thought Oliver and I were mates." he said, finally looking up at me.

"Oh, well we haven't really done invitations yet. We only just got engaged last week." I explained, turning red. I should have known that people would want to get close to me to get invited to a celebrity wedding.

"I think you're done, dear." Madam Malkin said and I stepped of the stool to change again.

I had my normal clothes on when I left the changeroom and Madam Malkin took my dress to alter it, then went off to help Harry. Margot and I apparated from the store so we wouldn't attract attention as we would have if we walked outside the store.