Loser, Whatever!

Recovery

I sat down in a comfortable-looking chair in the waiting room as I waited to be able to see Oliver again. I placed my head in my hands and let the tears fall freely.

How did this happen? He hadn't even started the World Cup and he's down already. They said it was serious, but he was going to be okay. How serious was it? He remembered me, that was a blessing. Would his memory be affected at all? Wait, that was one side of your brain, and the purple swelling on his head was on the other side.

I exhaled in relief. I sat back in my chair and took my head out of my hands. I noticed a box of tissues on a desk beside me and I wiped my tears away. I also blew my nose. I tossed the kleenex at the garbage and missed.

I got up to put it in when a Healer in lime green robes walked in.

"Ms Eisenberg?" He asked.

"Yeah, that's me." I confirmed.

"You may see Mr Wood now." I inhaled and followed the Healer out of the room. The room wasn't that far away, so I had little time to compose myself.

"Hey!" Oliver was sitting up and smiling as he saw me enter his room behind the Healer. He was wearing dark blue scrubs and a large bandage around his head.

"You're looking better." I commented and took a seat on a chair beside the bed. The Healer left the room.

"I feel as good as new, but they won't let me leave!" Oliver grimaced. I smiled and took his hand.

"You had a pretty bad fall. I'm not surprised they're keeping you here." I answered.

"How bad was the fall?" He asked, lowering his voice, but his smile grew. I had no idea why.

"It was pretty bad. You fell about 150 feet after that Chaser hit you!" I replied.

"And you didn't catch me?" He grinned. I managed to choke out a nervous chuckle.

"Believe me, I would have if I was in the right position, the seat you got me was very impracticle." I chided.

"I'll get you closer seating next time." He smiled.

"Will there be a next time?" I dropped my voice.

"Of course!" He was appauled I would ask such a question.

"What I mean is are you going to be playing again anytime soon?" I clarified.

"Definitely." Again, he stared at me like I had three heads or something.

"Oliver, you just fell 150 feet!" I reminded him.

"So? I'm on the mend." he pointed out.

"But how long is the road to recovery?" I asked.

"Ms Eisenberg has a point, Mr Wood." I barely noticed the Healer as he edged into the room.

"What do you mean?" Oliver suddenly went very pale.

"Well, you see, you damaged your head in the front as well as in the back." He started.

"Yeah, I'm aware of that." Oliver pointed out. The Healer chuckled.

"In the back of your brain, there's a part dedicated to your vision. When you landed on your head, you damaged that part of your brain. It only affects your distant vision, not your close-up vision." He explained.

"So, what does that mean?" If possible, Oliver went even paler. I rubbed his hand with my thumb.

"It means that you can't see anything from a distance, like a Quaffle for instance." The Healer elaborated. Oliver turned green. "We think it might be temporary, but we're not exactly sure."

"So, I won't be able to play Quidditch anymore?" He stuttered.

"Well, until we find a cure for this. No one has managed to invent a spell to cure this yet." The Healer shrugged. He turned and left the room.

"Oh, Oliver!" I sobbed. I tried to hold the tears back, but it didn't work.

This time, Oliver placed his hand around my shoulders and held me close.

Oliver wasn't released until three days later. I stayed with him for as long as I could. I noted during the stay that it took him a while to noticed things at the other end of the hall or outside. So it actually was true.

England lost their game against China. With their normal Keeper and Seeker out, they didn't really stand a chance.

I dropped Oliver off at his house, then I planned on leaving so he could rest./

"Don't go!" He pleaded.

"Oliver, I've been around you for basically an entire week." I reminded him.

"I know, but now I'm handicapped." He tried to reason. I laughed.

"It's not that bad, Oliver. You can see just fine! I need to check up on stuff at home, but if you want, I can bring over some supper for tonight." I offered.

"Okay." He agreed.

"Alright, now go get some rest." Geez, I was already starting to sound like a Healer.

I Apparated back to my house where a white owl was waiting. I didn't recognize it. The letter was form Madam Malkin explaining that she was ready for another dress fitting.

That first fitting seemed like so long ago! So much had happened since then.

I took a handful of Floo Powper and went to Mr and Mrs Wood's house. Margot was in the living room when I arrived.

"They're ready for another fitting." I announced. She smiled and gave my hand a squeeze.

"How's he doing?" She asked.

"He's really as good as new, he just can't see far away things." I supplied.

"Well, at least he's the same old Oliver. I'm just thankful nothing worse happened." She squeezed my hand again and we both apparated to Madam Malkin's store.

The dress fit fine. There were just a few more adjustments to make, then it was done. I made a down-payment after the fitting and promised to pay the rest when it was finished.

Then, I went back to my own house to start Oliver's dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?