Loser, Whatever!

Disappointments and Confusion

At 2:30, I was at the Puddlemere United stadium, watching the two teams warm up. Puddlemere in navy-blue and the Appleby Arrows in pale blue. My father and I took our seats, mine right next to the aisle, then he saw someone that he worked with from the Ministry and left me alone.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw the navy-blue Keeper zoom away from the goal posts in my general direction. I knew I should talk to him, but I got shy. I never get shy! What was with him?

"Good! You made it!" He landed in the aisle next to my seat.

"Looks like it's going to be interesting." I commented, finally turning to face him. I knew the Arrows were a pretty good team, third in the league, I believe. Puddlemere being seventh out of the thirteen teams in Britain and Ireland. Oliver laughed.

"Have you ever been to a Puddlemere game before?" He asked.

"No," I replied, "But we were planning on it for my birthday this summer."

"Oh," he said thoughtfully, "Well if you like it, let me know, I can get you seasons tickets. For you and your family." I felt my cheeks turn red at his generosity.

"What's the deal, Oliver?" I asked, "There must be thousands of Oliver Wood fans out there, why are you so nice to me?"

"Because," He started and grinned, "You liked me before you found out who I was." I thought about this response for a second.

As if on cue, a hoard of screaming girls came out of nowhere and surrounded Oliver on all sides. He said something else to me, but it was muffled in the shouts. Something like, 'See what I mean?' A few seconds later, I saw a shot of navy-blue jet off into the sky and I knew he got away safely.

My dad never came back. I never really noticed, I was so absorbed into the game as soon as it started. Oliver had some amazing saves and the Chasers were incredible, on both teams. Two hours went by and the score was tied at 120-120. They turned the floodlights on as it had begun to get dark. No on could control how long a game went except for the skill of the Seekers. Appleby had more shots than Puddlemere, which was good and bad. Good because it showed how a good a Keeper Oliver was and bad because Puddlemere wasn't getting nearly enough shots.

At three hours into the game, the Snitch was caught. Sadly, not by Puddlemere. They were winning 210-140 before, but there was no doubt that the Appleby Seeker was better than Puddlemere's.

By this time, my Dad had come back to take me home again. I wanted to stick around to see if Oliver would come again, but Dad was firm He grabbed my hand tight and we apparated home again.

Almost instinctively, I headed for my room as soon as we arrived, ignoring the questions about the game from my mom and brother, and logged on to MSN.

Okay, so I hadn't really expected Oliver to be online. He was most likely still on the pitch or getting out of his uniform.

Wait a second, did I want to talk to him now? Just yesterday I didn't even know this guy personally, and now...did I have a crush on him?