My Heart Is the Worst Kind of Weapon

03.

Rory sipped her coffee and Lea stayed quiet. "Is it one of them?" Lea spoke. Rory didn't answer, she just kept her eyes on Faye. When Patrick walked up onto the deck and sat down in the chair facing Rory, Lea quickly got up and went inside the house to find her mother.

"So, how have the last four years of your life been?" Patrick asked.

"They were okay; hard for Faye. What about you?" Rory replied. Patrick frowned.

"Good. We're big now." Rory nodded.

"I know; Faye loves you guys." Rory laughed. "I'm surprised Lea didn't freak out when she saw you and the band." Patrick nodded, but didn't seem too interested in the conversation.

"Rory, why did you leave us?" Patrick asked quietly. Rory sighed and crossed her legs, Indian style, on the chair.

"I left because it was too much, Patrick, way too much for me to handle. I knew I would end up doing something really bad if I didn't leave. I would have blown under the stress."

"What stress? You had nothing to stress you." He said.

"Trust me, Patrick, I had one huge dilemma that would have made me blow. Hell, I still have that dilemma, but its way better now."

"Rory, why cant you tell me anything anymore?" He asked quietly.

"Patrick, some things are meant to be kept secrets, while others are meant to be told. What I'm not telling you now you'll probably find out once you take a good hard look at the things around me. My daughter, my house, my two friends and most of all, why I left." She put her coffee cup at the table.

"How long are you guys going to be staying?" She asked, getting up.

"All I know is that we're off for a few months. I'm staying until I can figure out stuff with you. We want to be your friends again, Rory."

"I want to be your friend too, Patrick." He got up and hugged her. "Faye, baby cakes, its time to show your new friends where they'll be staying, and then you can have some supper with them." Rory grinned when Faye looked up at her with wide eyes and came running towards her.

Patrick saw a totally different person then he had four years ago, as did the other three members of the band.

She's happy now.

Nicky stood over the oven, stirring a pot of vegetarian spaghetti sauce. Lea stood beside her, chopping a cucumber. The boys sat around the table that seated nine and chatted about random things that came to mind. Rory and Faye were seated at a window seat and Rory was pulling Faye's long dark brown hair into to loose pigtails at the side of her head. She giggled and her dark brown eyes looked around the room. "Mummy, can I sit beside Panda and Hats?" Rory's eyebrows furrowed.

"You know you're not allowed to have stuffed animals at the table."

"No, mummy, Patrick and Peter panda!" A look of shock went over her face.

"Oh, Okay. Sure." Nicy turned and shot Rory a look. Faye got down from the window seat and went over to the table, sitting in a chair beside Pete. He smiled and her and she smiled at him. They started chatting about random things together, and even Rory had to admit, they looked wonderful together.

The next morning at four am Rory was up and cleaning around the house; re-arranging pillows, dusting here and there. She was still an insomniac even after four years. When she finally went into the kitchen she didn't look around, she just went straight for the coffee machine and put a pot on. When she turned to gaze out the window she was surprised to see Pete at the table. She jumped in surprise. "Good morning." She said with a smile. You might as well be nice.

"Good morning to you too." When the coffee pot was finished she looked at the clock and took out a coffee cup, pouring some of the smoldering hot liquid into it and handed it to Pete.

"Milk, sugar, cream?" He shook his head.

"So, how's life been?"

"Its been good. How's the famous rock star life been treating you?"

"Its been... hectic. I'm sure you heard about the few scandals." Rory's face turned sour for a minute.

"Yes, I did. I saw a couple of pictures, too."

"When's Faye's birthday?" Pete asked out of the blue.

"June fifth. Your birthday, actually." Pete smiled.

"We'll be here to help you celebrate then."

An awkward silence overtook them and Rory sat on a chair opposite Pete and gulped down her hot drink.

"Does Faye look like her dad?"
♠ ♠ ♠
like it ?
comment .
: )