Status: HIATUS!! Thinking about re-writing this story.

Save Me

Lunchtime Lesson

{Matt}

After I put my books away, I saw that I had Spanish class. I don’t want to take Spanish, but you need to take a language class in order to graduate, so I chose Spanish cause it seemed like it would be the easiest. When I found the classroom and walked in, the teacher came over to me. She handed me a book and a workbook and told me to sit down in the seat she pointed to. I did as she instructed. How did she know I was the new student that fast, before I even said anything?

When Liz walked in, she spotted me and walked over sitting in the seat to the left of mine.

“Hey. How’s your first day so far?” she asked. I told her it was going good. A loud laugh drew my attention to the door, where I saw that tall kid I saw earlier. He was followed in by Brian. They sat down two rows behind me, laughing and talking. “Ugh what freaks.” Liz said from beside me. I ignored her as she went on talking about them. Seriously, what makes them freaks? Just cause they’re not rich? Just cause they’re themselves and don’t follow people and trends? They like what they like and they aren’t afraid to show it.

Spanish class was as I thought, boring. Thankfully Liz didn’t talk to me as she was actually paying attention to the teacher. I kept hearing Brian and his friend talking in the back. How I wanted to be back there hanging with them instead of sitting next to Liz. The bell rang, finally, and Liz stood up saying she would walk with me outside to where they eat lunch.

As we walked down the hall, I saw Brian and his friend in front of us. When we walked outside, I noticed them go over to a very old looking tree. They sat down and Liz and I headed over to the outside tables. There were already some kids there talking and eating their lunches. I saw Zack walk out of the building and head over to the tree.

“Okay. This is Eric, Taylor, Cole, Dean, Gina, Amanda, Chad, Steph and Paul.” Liz said pointing to everyone. “Guys this is Matt.” I shook hands with the guys and said hi to the girls as I sat down.

“So you’re new? Where did you move from?” the one named Dean asked me.

“Chicago.” I replied. As I said that I looked up to see Rainy and some kid with a blue Mohawk walking out the front doors. I watched them as they walked over to the tree. When they sat down, Rainy leaned her head on the tall kids shoulder. He said something to her and put his arm around her shoulder. Something inside of me woke up. I realized it was jealously.

‘Why am I jealous? I don’t even know her.’ I thought to myself.

‘But you want to know her.’

‘Even if I did get to know her, she’s not mine.’

‘Ah, but you want her to be yours.’

‘What? No I don’t.’

‘Yes you do.’

“Matt. Hey you in there?” Liz asked.

“What? Sorry. I guess I zoned out.”

“That’s okay. I just asked what you were doing this weekend.” she said.

“Oh. I gotta help my folks with the new house. Why?”

“We were just wondering if you wanted to hang out with us and we could show you around.” Paul answered. I shrugged my shoulders telling them that I’d see if I could get out of helping. They all said okay. As lunch went on they all talked about things I didn’t care about. I was so bored, I wanted to get up and go over to that tree. Liz saw me staring at them and she spoke up.

“They’re losers.” she said looking over at them.

“Yeah, they’re freaks.” Taylor piped in.

“Yep. Ever since grade school they’ve been freaks. Never had any friends besides each other. Well honestly who would want to be their friend? Listening to that rock music crap. And who has Mohawks these days, not to mention a blue one?” Liz said. I kinda liked the Mohawk. It looked good on that kid. Not everyone could pull it off.

“Yeah. And how can anyone want to wear black all the time?” Gina asked.

“If I was them, I would never show my face anywhere.” Eric spoke up.

“Their parents don’t even like them. Jimmy, the tall one, his parents don’t even care if he’s alive or dead. And I heard he lives at the laundry mat where he works.” Snickers went around the table as Liz said that. “Johnny, the one with the Mohawk, his mom cares, well sorta, but she’s never home. She’s too busy being a whore to care too much for him. No idea about his father though. Zack, the one with the nasty face piercings, he’s lucky however, his folks actually give a shit about him.

“Then we get to Brian and Rainy. Brother and sister, twins actually.” Whoa, they’re twins? Cool. “Their father is in prison for killing their mother. They say that he even tried to kill Rainy. Now they live with their father’s brother and his wife. Everyone knows that their uncle is a major drunk and beats the shit out of them almost everyday. Even their aunt hits them as well.” as Liz told me all this I was looking over at them. How the fuck could someone not care about their child, their own flesh and blood? How the FUCK could a father try to kill his daughter? Then it suddenly hit me. Maybe that’s why Rainy doesn’t talk.

“You see? Even their parents don’t like them. Well except for Zack. Who the hell knows why his parents care. If I had a kid like them, I would take a page out of Haners’ fathers book and try to do them in. I would be so ashamed to have a child like that.” Cole said grimacing. Man I wanted to bust him up for saying that shit. Who the fuck is he? No one special. Although around here he’s probably like a god or something. That’s the sad part, people look up to these ass holes.

“Haner?” I questioned.

“Yeah Haner is Brian and Rainy’s last name. Then you got Zack Baker, Jimmy Sullivan and Johnny Seward.” Taylor told me. I nodded at her, just then the bell rang. I pulled out my schedule and saw I had English next. Then Gym and finally Shop. I found out I had English with Eric, Taylor and Cole so I walked with them.

As we walked to the doors I looked over and saw that Jimmy kid giving Rainy a piggyback ride. There goes that jealousy thing again. How do I even know they’re dating? Just cause she leans her head on his shoulder and he gives her a piggyback ride, doesn’t mean they’re a couple. I watched as they entered the school and they got lost in the crowd.

Walking into the class behind the others, I see that Rainy and Jimmy are in this class. My heart leaps into my throat when the teacher tells me to sit in front of Rainy. And luckily Taylor, Cole and Eric were on the other side towards the middle of the class. As I walked back to my seat I give Rainy a small smile and I could have sworn that Jimmy guy almost growled at me. In my mind I thought ‘If he gets protective over her like that, then they have to be a couple’. Oh how I hope they aren’t.

We were learning about Ernest Hemingway, but I don’t think Rainy and Jimmy were paying attention. It sounded like they were playing hangman or something. My thoughts started to drift back to lunch and what Liz told me. I have problems with my parents but nothing like what Rainy and them apparently go through.

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn’t realize class was over till I heard the bell. when I stood from my seat, Jimmy and Rainy walked past me. Taylor, Eric and Cole came over to me.

“Man it sucks you gotta be seated near them.” Eric said nodding his head in the direction of Rainy and Jimmy. I couldn’t be happier that I get to sit near them. It’s way better than having to sit next to Liz’s friends. The three of them have Gym next with me, so we all walked towards the gym.

They were talking about places to take me this weekend if I could get out of ‘helping my parents’. I don’t really need to help them cause everything is already done. My dad hired someone to do everything. I just didn’t want to hang out with them. I figured I’d go exploring on my own. Hell, maybe I’ll run into Rainy. Hey, I can only hope, right?
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. Here's Ch. 5. Hope you like. Let me know.