The Jetset Life Is Gonna Kill You

Eleven

Holly

It never feels good sitting in a waiting room in any doctor’s office. It was like a tiny four white wall room filled with diseases or sad eyes filled with sickness. I was sitting in the corner just letting my eyes wonder around the room while Helena read a magazine next to me. There was an older man sitting there in a hoodie and blue jeans. You could tell by the look on his face that he was suffering. His nose was beat red and his eyes were blood shot. Anyone could say that this man hadn’t slept in weeks. Then suddenly he sneezed loudly, spending his germs out into the air. It made my whole body cringe just thinking of the various germs I was inhaling.

I continued to let my eyes wonder to the next person, an elderly lady. She was dressed warmly in a cardigan sweater with hand sewn flowers on the one side. She had her glasses on the end of her nose. She was deep into a book, what book I had no idea. It could have been about murder, mystery or even love. I smiled at the word love, and how Frankie made me feel. But now I had no idea what Frankie was feeling. Ever since I told him that I might be pregnant, he ignored it completely. He didn’t think it was true, but I just want him to accept it.

Then I noticed a little girl sitting next to her smiling happily. She was no older than five and she and she was holding onto her teddy bear. She was holding that teddy bear and swinging her feet back and forth on the chair and it brought joy to my heart. It got me thinking that maybe I just might be a good mother that I am cut out for this stuff. I smiled at her as she looked up and she smiled back. Her smile could have been on all over the cereal boxes. I watched as she turned back to her teddy bear and heard a nurse call out my name.
I stood up along with Helena and we walked through the doorway. I crossed my arms over my stomach and looked the floor. I watched the nurse’s footsteps as she directed us towards the room. We walked into yet another freezing room and I sat on the table. Helena walked in further and sat on a chair, “The doctor will be with you shortly.” The nurse said and headed out the door.

“I’m scared Helena,” I whispered as I played with the end of my shirt.

“You’re scared of what Holly? About the baby?” she asked me sitting on the edge of the seat. She was leaning over, trying to look up at me.

“No, I’m happy about the baby. I’m scared that Frankie will leave me,” I told her and she smiled.

“Sweetie, that boy is so in love with you that I don’t think he will ever leave your side,” she tried to comfort me, but I just smiled. She put her hand on my knee and comforted me until we heard the doctor knock on the door. He walked in with the standard white coat, short hair and glasses. He sat in the small stool and looked at my charts.

“So what are you in here for today Holly?” he asked me.

“I think I might be pregnant,” I told her and played with my fingers. He shook his head and stood up. Well we will just do a simple blood test here and have you take a test here in the office,” he said and I nodded ready for anything. I had everything to gain and nothing to lose. I did everything he said from sitting still while they drew blood and peed once again on a small plastic stick. He told us that he would be back in a while with the result and to just wait in the waiting room.

“So, what have you been up to Helena?” I asked her trying to keep my mind off of what was going on in my life. She shrugged her shoulders and sat back.

“Nothing too much,” she said and I knew that there was more, but I wasn’t going to push it anymore. It was like everyone was on edge now, “Have you heard from any of the boys lately?”

“Bob called Frankie to see how you were because he keeps trying to call you, but you don’t answer or something. But he said that all the boys are good, and you wouldn’t believe, but he is convinced that Gee is telling the truth,” I told her.

“Truth?” she asked curiously.

“He said he is changing. Its slow of course, not much to do. But every chance he has, he does something good,” I explained to her and she nodded and faced the wall.

“Better late then never right?”

“Yeah I guess, have you talked to him since the party?” I asked her and saw her shake her head yes. She looked completely said and depressed, but she looked to the ground. She was about to say something but stopped once we heard there was a knock on the door.

“Holly?”

“Yes, Doc?”

“Both test came back positive, you are in fact pregnant,” he told me and so many mixed emotions were running through my body. I was confused, hurt and happy at the same time. I was happy that I would now have someone I can love unconditionally but hurt that it might push away the only man I love. I didn’t know how to feel until Helena wrapped her arms around me and hugged me tightly.

“I am so happy for you Holly,” she whispered and I knew that I had at least someone in my corner. I had Helena to back me up on everything and I knew I could count on her.

Image

“What can I get you girls today?” the waiter asked us as we were sitting in the local diner. We sat in the corner of the restaurant and next to the window.

“I will have a chicken melt and a glass of ice tea,” I told the waiter and turned to Helena.
“I will have the same, but with ice water,” she said and handed the waiter the menus. He nodded his head and took off to the kitchen. Soon enough he came back with our drinks and we just stared out the window, “So are you and Frankie going to move somewhere else, I mean with the baby, you’re going to need more room.”

“I have no idea, I don’t even know if Frankie wants this baby,” I said staring into my cup and swirling the ice around. She sighed and reached over to touch my hand lightly.

“Of course he wants the baby Holly. He loves you and he will most certainly love his child,” Helena said and I nodded knowing she was right. I was overacting to the whole situation.
“But hopefully we get a bigger place, I don’t need to have a crying baby right in my ear,” I laughed and she shook her head.

“Well you are going to have to get used to I,” she told me. I nodded knowing I was only joking with her. I took another sip of my drink and placed it back onto the table.

“So, you never did answer my question in the doctor’s office,” I told her and wiped the sweat off my glass.

“What question?” she asked me, but I knew that she knew what I was talking about. I looked at her letting her know that she remembered the question. She sighed lightly as she took another sip of her water. “Yeah, I called him the other day, to say I was sorry for what I said.”

“I have a feeling that there is more to that,” I told her.

“I told him that he had to let me go, that I wasn’t coming back,” she whispered and I could see that it was eating at her. She loved Gerard with everything she had, and he destroyed that. He had almost blown out her light. I bite my lip and rest my hand onto of hers.

“I promise things will get better,” I told her and she nodded knowing that either way, in the end she was going to be happy.
♠ ♠ ♠
things will get better... i promise =]