Run like you do, I'm chasing you

Chapter 10

I awoke the next morning in a daze. My lips chapped and my throat scratchy. I was emotionally drained and regardless of how much sleep I had gotten last night, I still felt exhausted. It must have well into the afternoon because I could see the rays from the sun glimmering in through the cracked window. It washed over my face and I could feel its warmth. It was peaceful in my room and last nights events seemed a vacant dream, something that would be forgotten completely in time. This thought soothed me. I turned over, but much to my disappointment, Nick wasn’t there anymore. I listened and I could faintly hear the sound of voices coming from downstairs in the kitchen. I prayed that they weren’t still talking about me but I knew that was a grim hope. Quietly, I got up out of bed and made my way to the door to listen closer. Trying not to make any noise so that they wouldn’t realize I was awake.

“Do you think we should take her to the doctor?” Mrs. Jonas sweet voice resonated up the stairs. I hadn’t realized how much I missed her motherly ways.

“No, I think she’s fine. She just needs her rest. It’s a good thing I got there in time.” With that, I stepped out into the hallway and started my way downstairs. They must have heard me coming because all of a sudden the conversation stopped. I walked into the kitchen, it was dead silent and all eyes were on me. With what little voice I had, I managed to say good morning. Nick smiled that adorable smile of his.

“Mornin’ Katie. How’d ya sleep?” I walked over to stand beside him.

“Fine, thank you…for everything.” Everyone in the kitchen went back to his or her business as Nick and I stared at each other. Silently, Nick took my hand and led me out the back door, down towards the beach. I looked down the shoreline towards the boardwalk and saw that it was getting quite full. Luckily, the Jonas family had a private lot, so he and I were alone.

We went up to the crashing waves and stuck our feet in. It was silent for a moment, until Nick turned straight towards me and encased both of my hands in his. He looked nervous, and I knew this was it. He was preparing to let me down, to tell me that he loved Miley and not me. I was prepared for this and yet I dreaded it even more than before. His mouth opened and I cringed away from the words that I knew would sting so much. Maybe I could go home early. Take the embarrassment he was dishing out, and then go home to Pennsylvania. Pretend it had never happened. Emily would be happy to have me home, and I would need a friend more than anything after this. My heart could bleed in peace, and hopefully heal much faster than it would if I had to stick around here for the rest of the summer. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad. Not that there wouldn’t be excruciating pain, but maybe I could anticipate a sort of numbness. I had read enough romance novels to think that was at all possible. I could only hope. I hoped the rest of the Jonas family would understand. This was it. I braced myself for the blow.

“Katie. I…I love you.” My mouth dropped open. I had been expecting the worst, never even thinking of the slightest possibility that maybe; just maybe he loved me back.

“W…what?” I thought that maybe I’d heard him wrong. This can’t be right. He was dating Miley fucking Cyrus! How could I ever compete with that?

“I said…I love you.” I had heard him right! I thought that I felt myself begin to get dizzy but I had to pull myself together. He was staring down at me, waiting for a response. There was a long silence and as each second ticked by I could see the pain in his eyes grow. I didn’t like making him wait like this but I just couldn’t find my voice. It’s like it was lost. It gotten hidden somewhere inside me. I was searching for it but no matter where I looked I couldn’t find it. That was it, I couldn’t just make him stand here, thinking that I didn’t feel the same. I took my hand and placed them on the side of his cheek. Gently stroking his cheek with my finger tips. This must have given him the hint because he started to lean down towards me.

It seemed like everything was in slow motion until our lips finally crashed together. This absolutely perfect, standing on the beach in my bare feet. His hands were on my waist as I gripped at his curly, brown hair. This didn’t seem real. After all these years of secretly hiding my feelings for him, who knew he felt the same? I wished this moment would last forever. I felt his lips go up at the corner as we kissed and eventually so did mine. This felt natural, like it was suppose to be like this. I was comfortable with him and he was all I’d ever wanted. Slowly we pulled apart and for a second looked into each other’s eyes. I dropped my arms and wrapped them around his torso. I hadn’t realized I’d started crying but it wasn’t because I was sad. It was because I was happy. Surpassingly happy. Hell, I was on cloud nine. Through the tears I finally found my voice.

“I love you, too.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Gahhh!
It's been a longggg time since I've updated.
I'm really sorry.
Please subscribe&comment!
I'll try and update more but with school and the musical it gets hard.
love you all.
thankies
(: