‹ Prequel: Union

Communion

The Anniversary

Starlit nights on the veranda at home were one of the newest guilty pleasures Tre found himself endulging in with his young wife. They had a nice swinging bench in which they often found themselves calmly rocking back and forth; hand and hand in the moonlight.

Moments like these made a thirty-nine year old Tre feel as though his golden years had been blessed upon him early. And thankfully enough, he got to enjoy them with the woman he loved, and whilst he still had his health and music.

He grazed his wife's cheek softly, whilst adverting his ears towards the cooing of an owl in the suburban distances. A contented smile came to the faces of the Cool couple, whom both knew their three year old daughter was sleeping undisturbed in her upstairs bedroom.

The clouds rolled by nearly unnoticed under the stars of the light polluted skies. The mysterious chiming of the creature of the night gave a haunting effect to this near ending of the most romantic of wedding anniversaries.

Rose leant her head down on Tre's chest; the warm May breeze washing over her skin like a pleasant Hawiian spring whilst she listen to his near steady heartbeat. Tre subtly caressed her scalp at the roots of her flowing raven hair. He began humming quietly as he watched her thick lashes decend upon her upper cheek bones like an impeccable flower with the most delicate of petals.

"Frank..." Rose whispered, with the dimness of the perishing owl. "Sing me a song..."

There was a serene silence between the time Tre stopped choraling under his breath and opened his lips to sing to his wife. In the gentlist of all tones, nearly a whisper yet emphasized beautifully, he began to sing her a song. "Give my love to Rose, won't you please mister? / Take her all my money, tell her to buy some pretty clothes. / Tell my girl her daddy's so proud of her. / And don't forget to give my love to Rose..."

Rose took in a deep breath of her husband's musky cologne and opened her eyes to meet his gaze with her own. The stars appeared to shine in both of theirs accordingly. Her normal pale skin became radiant with contentment as he continued to sing to her.

"Mister here's a bag with all my money. / It won't last them long the way it goes. / God bless you for finding me this morning. / And don't forget to give my love to Rose..." Tre professed with melody and continued back into the upper beat chorus. "Give my love to Rose please won't you mister? / Take her all my money, tell her to buy some pretty clothes. / Tell my girl her daddy's so proud of her. / And don't forget to give my love to Rose... he sang, letting his vocal chords tremor like the final note on Billie's acoustic in Good Riddance.

Rose raised her head from Tre's chest partially, only to be met halfway with his lips descent upon hers. Their perspiring breaths intermingled in the aura of pleasant warmth about both of their bodies. Rose rid a single hand up under Tre's shirt and along the ridges of a noticibly pertruding spine. Gracefully the the two became near engrossed and immersed in each other's selfs.

"Thank you..." Rose whispered to her love; reopening her gaze to a hidden eyelet. "You're beautiful."

"I'm not beautiful. It's you," Tre replied with a sly smile of disobedience; returning to his calm state.

"Frank?"

"Hmm?"

"What was that song?"

Tre swallowed back a lump in his dry throat and wiped his noticibilly sweaty forehead with the back of his hand. "Give my love to Rose, by Johnny Cash," he cooed proudly and knowingly.

"Wow...I loved it," Rose chirped with the pleased tone of a woman with a melted heart. "I didn't know you liked Johnny Cash..."

Tre chuckled slightly. "I don't. Clive liked Johnny Cash a lot."

"Oh, who's Clive?" Rose smiled with much curiousity.

"Oh, he was ju-just my cellmate in North Kern, that's all. He had a thing for Johnny Cash. I mean like...he would always go around singing Johnny Cash songs. And the-then, one day I heard him singing this song and I was li-like...wow...and...I dunno...it got me thinking about you and stuff. I mean, I always thought about you, of course. But sometimes it was easier to try and forget what I was missing out on with my friends and family while I was in that hell hole. An-and I'm rambling now..." Tre squeaked as he closed his mouth nervously and wiped his forehead once again.

"Frank I-I umm...you never talk about your life in prison..."

"Yeah..." Tre gasped.

"Why?" Rose questioned curiously; sitting up off her husband to get a brisker look into his mesmeroizing pools of sapphire.

Tre laughed nervously again, "I-I don't know. 'Cause it's not important really. I just-I just love being able to put it behind me, you know? Just forget about it, move on with my life. My life with you and Michelle."

Rose nodded her head with a respectful smile. "That's fine...I-I understand Frank. I understand..." she repeated numerous times; her voice grew fainter and fainter, until eventually silent.

"Six years Rose...six beautiful fucking years," Tre announced as he reminisced on that span of time.

"The times with you, when you were you...they were beautiful. We've had many cherishible times in the past years, I'll admit. Though there have been a lot of times neither of us would care to mention again....ju-just being your wife...I'll always be by your side, Frank. Always," Rose whispered, feeling outbursting romance in her heart.

"Through thick and thin," Tre giggled childishly as he squeezed her hand gently, bringing the grandest of smiles to her face. "Aww...you look so doable right now."

"You're bad..." Rose laughed.

"Michael Jackson bad? Like, I'm bad / I'm bad!?" Tre sang randomly as he bowed his head and gazed up at Rose through his lashes.

"Oh God...thank you!" Rose shrieked, unexpectedly throwing her arms around Tre and squeezing him near to death. She was almost moved to tears with excitement.

"Wha-What?" Tre questioned with a knowing grin.

"Thank you! Just thank you...I missed my Mr. Funny Man so much. And today, it's just been perfect beyond belief. I mean, so what if we couldn't take a trip to some exotic place because of your parol restrictions. I don't care! I don't-'cause-'cause I love you so damn much. I do, and having you back has just been..." Rose let out, cutting herself off when her teary eyes came.

"Aww, don't cry hunnie. Jeez, you're so damn cute. You know I love you more than anything too," Tre professed as he let his index finger glide under Rose's eye like a windshield wiper would a car in the rain.

Rose let out a relieving laugh once again and she took to looking back at the starry skies. The swing suddenly tapped back against the wall, where the house met the veranda; as Tre stood up without word.

"What are you doing Frank?"

Tre kept his mouth silenced at first; leaning down over the swing and pulling his wife up into his arms. He hammocked her like a baby and spent no time turning around to re-enter the house through the partially opened French doors.

"Where are we going?

"It's our wedding anniversary, you tell me," Tre cooed with a wink before he began singing again. "Give my love to Rose, won't you please mister? / Take her all my money, tell her to buy some pretty clothes..."

"Hehe Frank..."