Atomic Heart Beat

Chapter Seven

I sat alone on the beach again. It was becomming a daily routine to be here. But this particular day made it a stupid idea to even come here. It was dark and cooler than usual. I actually had to bring a hoodie because the winds were picking up and the grey clouds were covering the sunlight.
I wasn't the type to enjoy days like this, but I could tolerate it. I was finally alone. Something I've wanted. I needed to think. Needed to let my thoughts escape my mind.
I glanced quickly around me. There was no one on the beach. I was very weirded out by this. Just because it was dark didn't mean that the weather was too bad to go swimming. Was it?
I sighed and began to think outloud to myself.
"Why does he notice me?" Was the first question I asked myself.
I rubbed my chin and cuffed the end of my hoddie sleeves in my hands.
"Why has no one noticed me before?" I asked.
This time I asked the one thing that I really wanted answered, knowing for sure though that it would never be.
"What is so special about me?"
"Talking to yourself?" I heard a voice interupt my conversation with myself. I gasped and covered my mouth with my hands, turning slowly around.
It was Damon. My mouth nearly fell open at the feel of deja vu. What was it with him and sneaking up on me like this? And at the beach too.
Damon sat down next to me, much like the time before, only he wasn't smoking now.
"What're you doing here, Damon?" I questioned.
"It's about to storm." He stated simply.
"And that's your reason for being here?" I squinted, trying to see past his exterior and figure out what went on inside his twisted mind.
He chuckled, bringing his legs up and wrapping his arms around them, "I love storms. I used to sit outside all the time and just wait to get rained on." He smiled.
"Used to? Why not anymore?" I didn't know what made me so curious, but the question came out a little rushed, like I really wanted to know. I felt awkward awaiting his response.
"It doesn't storm as often as you think down here," he smiled and looked at me.
My smile faded as I stared into his eyes. His smile faded as well when I didn't tear my eyes away from him. He suddenly cleared his throat and turned his head toward the ocean. I scrammbled to refocus my attention on something other than him.
I didn't say anything for quite some time as I stared out into the ocean. I felt as though I had to turn to my right and check every once in a while to make sure he was still there. He was so quiet and still when he wasn't speaking, it was hard to know if he was still in my presence.
"I never caught your name." Damon mummbled and picked up some sand in his hand, letting it sink inbetween his fingers, back to earth again.
"Allegra Miles." I said as sweetly as possible. Though it might have come out a little rehearsed.
He smiled and looked back at me, his eyes not leaving mine, even when I knew I was staring again. "That's a really beautiful name." He said nicely. But not in the way I had hoped he would say it. He said it in a friendly way. In a way a family member would compliment me.
I didn't notice until he spoke that I was frowning, "what's wrong? Did I upset you?" He asked, almost sounding frantic.
I stiffened and focused my eyes on him harshly, "Damon, why are you here?" I asked, sounding a bit more harsh than I would have wanted the question to come out.
"I already told you, I love this kind of weath-"
"No, Damon. Why are you here? With me..." I asked again, but calming my voice.