Scribe The Words Happy Meal Right Across Your Head

Speed of Light

The band started to look like a band. We had actual songs, with lyrics and a catchy beat. We were all happy with our work and recording it onto my dad's home recording studio. It was the day before Christmas vacation, also known as, mini tour week. We were all pumped, making sure to practice twice as much to perfect our set list. It was a short amount of time on stage, maybe ten to twenty minutes, but it was important. My dad has been dipping in and out, sharing his advice. We thanked him greatly and went back to our own music.

School has been going by at the speed of light. Each one of my band mates have been shaking with excitement. It was all they could talk about during class and lunch. Who could blame them? We were touring with the world known, Avenged Sevenfold.

Tomorrow would mark the day of our first tour. The first day of actual playing, and actual gigs. Tomorrow we hit the road.

The final bell sang and my heart jumped into my throat. I could feel it beating, making the air drain from my lungs. I stood up and shook the feeling off. I grabbed my books to put my books into my locker for the next two weeks. I smile snuck onto my lips at the sheer thought of missing a week of school.

"What yeah smiling at punk?"

I rolled my eyes and continued to smile; nothing was going to bring me down from cloud nine.

I met up with Katie after, draped my arm over her slender shoulders, and squeezed. I crooked my head to see her pretty eyes, they were shiny and happy, filled with sparks of excitement.

I laughed quietly to myself, and kissed her on the cheek, making her giggle and burry her head into my neck.

"Are you excited?"

I smiled, "oh course, I can hardly breathe."

"Oh my god I know, I mean like, I've had butterflies in my stomach all day. I swear that my finger hasn’t stopped twitching." She held up her hand for me to examine. I grabbed her hand in mine and grabbed her other. I swung her in font of me and smiled wider. Her blonde hair was messy, her makeup smudged from the days activities, and being with her made me feel like the luckiest guy on the planet. I took that moment to press my lips to hers, letting my fingers inch up her arms and to her chin.

We carried along like that until my dad showed up.

Alice, Jake, and Katie all spent the night with their gear. Tomorrow we were going to wake up good and early.

☼

One small van + Seven grown men + Four teenagers= One long ride.

I wasn’t sure where we were, I lost my sense of direction back on the interstate. The whole time, my dad and Brian’s temporary replacement were discussing riffs, and stage presence stuff. I glanced at Alice. She was painting her nails; her lime green headphones were jammed in her pierced ears. Jake was sitting next to her, humming slightly to himself. He was lost in the whizzing scenery outside the window. Katie was curled up next to me. Her head resting on my bicep, she was fast asleep. I wasn’t sure where my uncles were, no doubt sleeping in their respective bunks.

“Justin,” a voice brought me back.

I looked up from the blonde to look at my father.

His lips turned up, “we’re almost there, bout ten minutes tops, alert your troops bud. We have to jump out and set up.”

I nodded and jiggled my arm slightly, making Katie yawn. Her sleepy eyes connected with mine.

“What was that for?” she pouted.

“Get your stuff, we arrive soon.”

Her eyes lit up and all trace of tiredness left her. She grabbed her small bag and went in the direction of the minuscule bathroom.

I disturbed Alice and Jake from their trances and they started to back.

The bus slowed to a stop, and everyone started to move all at once. I got pushed out the door and my guitar case was placed into my hands. There were screaming fans, yelling my family’s names. Jimmy motioned for me to follow with the rest of the band, there a man with a clipboard quickly asked of our names and band.

“Sound check in 15,” He said, and moved onto Avenged sevenfold. My heart started to beat out of my chest. All the organized chaos was a lot to take in. I stripped myself of my sweatshirt and we were being told to go for sound check.

I attached a patch chord that a tech said belonged to me into my uncle’s guitar. If felt smooth and polished. I hunched down, balancing on my toes, and fiddled with the effect pedals, striking a power chord for each, making sure that each worked up to par.
Katie was downstage from me; her yellow skirt looked florescent in the bright stage lights. She called out for a song and we all played the first verse. We were given the “OK”.

We went off, meeting right near left stage.

“You guys ready?” I asked, I felt a slight quiver in my voice.

I felt Katie’s arms around my waist and kiss me next to my mouth, “We are if you are.”

I smiled, and took a sharp intake of breath.

“Youth Attack, on in 5.” I shook slightly and I could hear all the noise that was only 15 yards away from my feet.

Then a man with headphones yelled to us, “Youth Attack on!”

I followed Alice, she jogged behind her drum set and I grabbed my guitar moving the guitar stand.

“Hello Phoenix! We are Youth Attack and we’re here to melt your brains!” Katie yelled into the microphone as Alice played a light drum beat behind. That was my cue to jump up and play the first power chord.

The energy was electric. My muscle memory kicked in and I looked around the stage. The lights were so bright I could only see the fist 10 or so rows of people. People that came to see Avenged Sevenfold. They were moshing to our music, jumping around and the front row’s faces were just gleaming. My solo was coming up fast, I came up next to Katie and kissed her on the shoulder and moved closer to the edge. I let my uncle’s guitar sing, the notes sounded so pure, so real. The front row was head banging and some hands were on the stage. I felt Katie’s hand slightly brush against my shoulder. She was revving up the crowed even more. She clapped to the drum beat, and the crowed followed suit. Then she backed away and started in with her voice again. I moved myself to my acoustic peddle and taped it with my toe. I felt the lights slightly fade down and the bass stopped playing. It was just Katie’s voice and my guitar. I could hardly hear Alice’s drums.

Than it was done. It ended so fast.

Katie yelled into the mic again, “We’ve been Youth Attack, you’ve been great! Now for the guests of honor…”

And Matt grabbed the mic from her, the crowed went totally bizerk. The adrenaline started to die down and I wiped my face with my wet T shirt.

Our first ever concert, finished, it will all get easier from here.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry its been a while, i'll try to get them out more often
comments are sex, correct?