The Freedom of a Killer Is Gone

Chapter Twenty-Three

JenEbby sat at the table quietly, her fingers tapping on the barrel of her gun. The plan was full proof. Joker made so of course it was going to work, then everything would be better. He promised that, he promised her that everything would be fine and they'd be happy again. Ever since the beginning Ebby had waited for him to get them out of this.

Her hand rested on her stomach as the Joker's hand ran through her hair. His face was blank and far off. Ebby stretched up and pecked him on the cheek wrapping her arms around his shoulder's and burying her head into his chest.

Still so innocent.

The Joker held her close, in an almost bone crushing hug.

Bane, Firefly, the Italians, and Frankie Tarasov came into view. The two separated and stared at the on coming group.

"Boss is ready to see you." Firefly said, grinning.

Ebby narrowed her eyes at Firefly angrily. She stood up with the Joker and followed the group. Her hand tapped at the gun that she stuffed in her back pocket along with a silencer. No one, except the Joker, seemed to notice how edgy she was. Her eyes darted back and forth eagerly, waiting.

The group stopped.

"Give me one little second." Firefly instructed walking away.

So only Bane, the Italians, and Tarasov were left. It would only take one shot to take down the Italians but it would be a different case for Bane and Tarasov.

Tarasov looked around, furrowing her brow. "Where's Vanity?" She snapped angrily.

That seemed like the perfect cue. Both Ebby and the Joker pulled out their guns and put on the silencers. They quickly shot the Italians then aimed for Bane and Tarasov.

Bane reared his head back making roar of sorts. He charged straight for Ebby, but she shot him two times in the chest making him stumble to the ground before another bullet was shot into his head.

The Joker shot Tarasov in the leg making her fall to the ground, but she didn't scream thankfully. A grin stretched across her face as she rolled over onto her back.

"I knew this would happen. Your just going to kill us and walk away. I saw it a mile away! Everyone else was too crazy or too stupid to see it. But it's not like it helped either of us, you two are already screwed up as it is and now your even more."

The Joker's face twisted up then shot her in the head, making her body slump to the floor. His chin jutted out slightly as he thought. "Lets move the bodies."

Ebby nodded then grabbed two of them and dragged them off.

Once they finished, Ebby rubbed her hands on her pants feverishly, trying to get some unseen germ off. The Joker giggled at her, grinning widely. Soon, Firefly came back, a smirk plastered on his lips.

"Boss is ready." He stated simply.

The three walked silently through the hideout. Things felt very solemn to Ebby. Her heart was racing and she felt very tense. Letting out a shaky breath, she composed herself. After a minute or so they arrived at some ratty room.

The room was bare, white, and smelled like blood and gun powder. Besides the Penguin, who was standing proudly in the corner, two men bound and bags over their heads. One wore some sort of black clothing while the other wore a shade of scarlet. Firefly stood behind them, glancing at the Penguin who nodded. Gripping the bags on the men's heads he ripped them off. The man in black's head drooped down quickly bobbing back up to reveal his face. Bruce Wayne. The man in scarlet did the same showing the face of Dick Grayson.

Ebby's eyes narrowed. "What's going on?" She asked turning to the Penguin.

"Don't tell me you don't recognize Gotham's prized vigilantly and his trusted side-kick!" The Penguin cackled.

"Ebby?" Dick groaned squinting up at her.

Ebby held his gaze, staring blankly down at him. She blinked slowly, refusing to utter another word.

The Penguin let out another cackle and threw two masks onto the ground. "Only if you hands weren't tied you could get you little masks!" He laughed. Firefly disappeared and reappeared quickly with a camera in hand. "I'm going to tell you, my plan. Once again you've become a great symbol to this city. I use to be on top, and I want to be on top again. So, I'm going to kill you, tape it, then show the whole city. To show them who controls this city. And of course I'll give a little credit to my helpers." He stated waving his deformed hand at Ebby and the Joker. "But all that you need to be concerned about is that you'll be DEAD!" He screeched glaring at the men.

Dick gave Ebby a pleading look. Looking down at him, she slid him a quick wink.

Without a second of notice, both Ebby and the Joker took out their guns shooting Firefly and the Penguin. Firefly was instantly killed with a shot to the head, while the Penguin lay on the ground with two bullets in his stomach and one in his leg. Maybe the Joker wasn't the best shot.

The Penguin gurgled, coughing up blood. "So, you've decided to take all the glory?" He coughed, chuckling afterwards.

Wrinkling his nose, the Joker walked over to the Penguin and crouched over him. "No, I'm going to let them live," He began waving his gun carelessly at Dick and Bruce Wayne, "and kill you. I've got better things to do then run around messing with civilians." He explained plainly before shooting the Penguin in the head.

Ebby quickly walked behind the two men on the floor pulling out a knife. She cut their bonds carefully making sure not to hurt them. The Joker picked up their masks and threw them at both men.

"Better put those on." He said plainly.

The men grabbed for their masks and put them securely on their heads. Batman stood up, his eyes narrowed at the Joker. "What game are you playing?" He snapped.

"No game." He chuckled. "Do you-" He cut himself off at looked at Ebby. Her arms were around herself as she looked around the room like a lost child. "I suggest you go, this place is going to be on fire in a few minutes. And don't worry, neither of us are ever coming back to Gotham so don't push your righteous good guy powers onto me." He rolled his eyes and made his way over to Ebby. The couple strode from the room, not waiting for the heroes to say another word.

Ebby clung to the Joker, burying her head into his chest. He held onto her laying a small kiss on her head. The two quickly gathered a gallon of gasoline and began ripping off wood from any where they could get it. Piling the wood in center of the hideout, the Joker poured all of the gasoline on the woodpile as Ebby pulled out a pack of matches.

Striking the match against the box, Ebby held it in front of her face. "One," She started signaling the Joker to back up, "two….and….THREE!" She threw the match down and ran out with the Joker before they could get wrapped into the flames.

The couple stood in front of the blazing building, calmly. Sighing, the Joker turned to Ebby.

"Ebby," He whispered tucking a hair behind her ear, "you will never know how much I love you." He confessed, gently stroked her cheek.

Ebby closed her eyes, loving the touch of his warm skin to her's. Suddenly, her eyes snapped open, feeling the loss of warmth. The Joker was not walking, but running away. Her mouth fell open slightly. "Where are you going!?" She screamed beginning to run after him.

"It's for you!"

Jen, seeing the scene, seemed to understand. She jumped from the van, where she had been, and ran to Ebby, holding her back.

"What are you doing!?" Ebby screamed flailing around uselessly in Jen's arms. She bit down on her lip, breaking the skin, as tears started stream from her eyes. He was leaving her.

"I hate you!"

Those three words, faltered the Joker. For a moment, he debated going back, but he couldn't. He began running again, till the smoke and flames were high in the sky and sirens sounded nearby. Jen dragged Ebby to the van and threw her in and drove off quickly, feeling her heart rip in two as her friend sobbed for the loss of her love.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, well...um...that was a little poorly written and some people may not like that! But that was the final chapter. The epilouge will be out, probably some time tomorrow or maybe if we're lucky sooner. So...uh, don't stone me!

-The Writer.