False Secret

Open Invite

Before I went grudgingly to my chores, I called Leo.
When the phone rang for the third time Leo answered with his velvet smooth voice.
“Hello?” he asked.
“Um, hey it’s Emily, from this afternoon?” If he forgot me that fast I think I would hang up without a word.
“Oh hey cutie, what’s up? Is someone bothering you? Tell me where you are and I’ll be there in a sec. to kick his ass.” he laughed “Just kidding.”
“’Cutie?’ is that your punch line or something?” we laughed. “No everything is fine, I was just calling to see if you would want to meet up with me and some of my friends at Laser Gate and hang out somewhere? It’s an open invite so bring some of your friends just incase you don’t feel comfortable around people you don’t know. I was just wondering.”
“Sure that sounds awesome, so what time is you’re ‘get-together’?”
“Well, we are meeting up at 12:00, when everyone is sleeping. We are sneaking out cuz I am grounded-” then unexpectedly Leo cut me off mid sentence.
“I’m sorry, but I don’t think that’s a good idea. There are so many weirdoes out there. It’s not really safe for you or your friends.” that was his immediate response to that.
I got really confused. What? You just said that you would come, what’s up with that?
“Protective of someone you don’t know completely, no?” After I said that I knew that I shouldn’t have. I was sure that he was offended.
“A little.” he chuckled. “It’s just that I know what goes on in the streets. My dad is a police officer and tells me everything.”
“So I’m guessing that’s a no, right?” I asked a bit sourly.
“Well, I guess if you need someone there who is able to protect his damsel in distress, I guess I’ll be there. So I guess that I’ll find that out for sure when we hang out, no?” he replied full of confidence.
“Oh that’s, nice. You think that I am a damsel in distress? Well let me tell you that, that is not the case. There will be three soon-to-be sophomore girls-including me-who go to Diman, and there is gonna be two soon-to-be seniors. But I don’t mind having another guy go too. But ya, you can invite some other people too. Hey, what grade are you in anyways?” I felt as if I were giving a speech.
“I’m a junior in Diman too. I’m surprised that I haven’t seen you around anywhere in the school. You know considering that Diman isn’t that big.” he laughed.
“Well I take the bus and it gets at school around 7:20, I think.” I explained poorly.
“I see, well, I’ll see you tonight and I’ll be waiting tomorrow. Hey, I have to go, but before I do, can I get your number?” Again his voice was so confident and perfect even on the phone. Usually everyone sounds different on the phone, but not Leo. He sounds just as wonderful as if he was standing and talking right in front of you.
“Sure, I guess.” I said shyly.
“Cool, oh and by the way you shouldn’t be shy, especially not tonight.” he laughed again.
“Okay as if that does gonna happen. My number is 508-324-7364.”
“’508-324-7364?’” he repeated. “Is that your home phone? You don’t have a cell?” he asked.
“No, I don’t a cell, so ya that is my home phone.” I said embarrassed. I tried to hide the embarrassment in my voice but I think that he picked it up.
“Got it. Well I guess I’ll see you later at Laser Gate at 12:00 on the dot.” he said.
“Yup. See ya later.” I answered.
“Cool.”
“Bye.” I laughed.
“See ya.” he laughed too.
I looked at the clock on the stove. It was already 4:30 p.m.! My mom usually gets home at 5:30! I still had homework, chores, and have to take a shower that needed to be done before she gets home.
The first thing that I did was the dishes, which was my chore for the week. I was in a hurry and burned my hand on the scolding hot water coming from a frosty silver faucet that became that way with steam within two seconds after I turned the water on. I shut the hot water off and put the cold on so I can help my hand turn numb. After it was better I went back to doing the dishes, and then ran to the shower.
When I got out and looked out the window I saw my mom’s car parked in the driveway. She was home.