Status: I'm planning on completely re-writing this soon, it could be so much better...

Beautiful Tragedy

Six.

Me and Beth were the last to walk into the restaurant, and there were only two seats left on the table. One next to Gerard and one next to Carl, i swore under my breath and headed towards the seat next to Carl.

"Uh, no." Beth smirked at me, before skipping towards Carl. "I missed you!" She squealed, grabbing the chair and sliding into it.

I glared at the back of her head until she sat down, and decided to sit down before i drew attention to myself. I looked at Beth opposite me, and she smiled sweetly, glancing at Gerard.

Paul stood up at the end of the table, tapping his glass with a fork to get our attention. He cleared his throat and looked at everyone in turn before speaking.

"Welcome to yet another tedious My Chem tour," He grinned, "I have a feeling it's going to be the best one yet. I'd like to welcome Bert to the family -"

"Don't you mean Bob?" Ray cut in, laughing. I felt the heat rushing to my cheeks, but laughed as well, remembering when i'd first met them.

"Okay, okay," Paul rolled his eyes, "You can't make a mistake now-a-days. Anyway, Rays made me forget the rest of my speech so...dig in!"

Everyone cheered and chairs were scraped as people left the table to get their food from the buffet. I got up and followed the huge group we'd come with, taking up the restaurant, and pulled Beth next to me in the queue.

"Please swap places with me, I'm not in the mood to feel hated and uncomfortable." I pleaded, shuffling forward as someone moved around.

"Give it a chance," She smiled, "What harm can it do?"

"Please?" I asked, lowering my voice as Gerard joined the back of the queue.

"Nope." Getting distracted, she waved at someone across the room. "Hey Johnny!" She called, "Your voice broken yet?"

The boy across the room glared at her and then ran towards her, dodging the other tables and throwing insults. She screamed and ran back, hiding behind Ray. I shook my head and chuckled, despite how annoyed i was at the fact i had to spend at least another hour and a half sitting between someone i didn't know and someone who despised me.

I filled my plate and returned to the table before most people, picking at my chips. Soon enough everyone had gathered back round, and discussion was at it's best. I was trying hopelessly not to look like a loner, and trying to talk to the people around me; avoiding talking to Gerard.

As much as i wanted to get to know him, i didn't know how to start a discussion. I knew that whatever i said he'd reject me again.

Start simple, Bert.

"Hey, Gerard?" I waited until Gerard looked my way. I ignored the why-are-you-talking-to-me face and carried on. "Could you pass the salt please?"

"No." He turned and started a conversation with Jim who was sitting on the other side of him.

"Thats okay," I started, "Salts bad for me. I get it, you're trying to save my life." I grinned, knowing he heard me by the way his shoulders tensed.

I dismissed the fact that he hadn't answered me and cut into my chicken, i waited 'till i'd finished my mouthful and looked over at him again.

"Now you're on a mission to make me healthy; should i turn vegetarian?" I looked at the chicken on my fork. "I mean, meats nice and all, but just think, he was running around a farm once all happy."

I shrugged and bit into the chicken, chewing it slowly as i watched him trying to ignore me. His eyes trained on his food.

"Nah, vegetarian isn't really me." I declared. "I guess i could give up beer though, it's not that good. And i heard it kills your organs."

Again, he was ignoring me. One more try.

"But can i keep the drugs? They make me happy." I grinned, "I see lepricauns and rainbows and little mexican men!"

He cracked and a tiny chuckle escaped from his lips, but as he turned to look at me his expression hardened again. I sighed inwardly, but he smiled right? It's a start.

"Bert," He started quietly, "Just leave me alone."

There was no joke i could make about that; no sudden comebacks that came into my head, so i just shrugged and stabbed the last piece of chicken on my plate.

"Your loss," I smiled.

"I'm sure it is Bert," He mumbled, staring into his drink. "I'm sure it is."

Laying in my bunk that night, I'd decided that mine and Gerard's relationship was like a piece of blu-tack. If you pulled a bit from a pile quickly, it snaps. But if you pull it slowly out, it'll stretch, and you can make it stretch meters if your piece is big enough.

I needed to get him to trust me, which meant dragging it out nice and slowly, doing things the hard way, trying to make a good impression. It also meant i had to desperately try not to do the stupid things which would snap it, the mindless things i may have done before.

This wasn't a game. Not anymore, i needed him to trust me, because this wasn't a matter of getting to know him - which i desperately wanted to do, but if what my mind is telling me is true, it's a matter of life and death.

I don't want anybody to die. Especially Gerard.