Give Me Envy, Give Me Malice, Give Me Your Attention

Chapter 16

July 20th, 2004

"Adrienne, why are you lazing around the house?"

"Because I have nothing better to do."

I was sitting on the couch in the living room, watching TV in my awesome black with green stars pajamas. It was a lazy Tuesday for me. I had nothing to do, no plans, nothing. It was pure bliss.

My father frowned at me, "What do you mean?"

"Well, Sam helps out at her church's day camp until 2 pm, Spencer's working, and everyone else is off doing their own thing."

"Why don't you find a job?"

"Dad... a job?" I rolled up into a ball and flopped onto a pillow to show him how lazy I was.

"Fine then. Waste your life away on the couch. When I was young..."

I sighed as my father launched into yet another one of his stories. It seemed he and my mother knew it was the perfect way to make me and Danny do things. Thankfully, I was saved by the doorbell.

"I'll get that," he said, heading down the hall to get it. I went back to watching TV. A few seconds later, Yume and Brendon appeared in the passageway.

"What are you guys doing here? I thought you guys had marching band or something."

"Spencer told us you play the flute-"

"Well, yeah... why?"

"Do you have it now?"

"No, I used the school's because I sold mine trying to get a better one. Unfortunately, that didn't happen."

I shot a look at Father Dear, who stepped back into the hall, whistling.

"Oh, that's too bad," Yume said, pulling Brendon aside. They began whispering furiously. I began staring at them, slightly suspicious. They noticed and stepped back into the hallway. I heard them talking to my dad. Something was definitely up.

When they finished their conversation, they stepped back into the living room and smiled at me.

"Well, that's no problem," Brendon started, smiling mischievously.

"Nope. Not at all," Yume finished. I looked at both them, suspicious of why they were smiling. I was about to jump over the couch when they lunged for my arms. I was easily overpowered (two against one? Not fair...) and dragged out of the living room.

"Let me go!"

"No. We need you. Pretty please? For me?" Yume looked at me innocently. Brendon gave me a puppy dog face.

"Need me for what?! Where are we going?"

"To Marching Band Practice! Please?" Yume made a sad face at me.

"Ok, fine, I'll go, but I can I please go change first?!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Filler-ish...

it gets better