Give Me Envy, Give Me Malice, Give Me Your Attention

Chapter 7

July 4, 2004

"Do I have to go?" I complained, cringing at the sound of a firework exploding in the distance. It was the Fourth of July, Independence Day, the holiday I dread most of all in the year. I hate fireworks with a passion. I don't even know why. It's just always been a fear of mine.

"Yes, you do. This will be our first time all together as a family since we got here. Plus, your aunt and uncle are having the party. That instantly means you have to go," my mother replied, as she hustled and bustled around the kitchen. I sighed and looked out the window.

"I don't want to..."

"Are you still freaking out about fireworks? I can't believe we're related..." Danny chimed in, entering the kitchen. I glared at him.

"Daniel, stop teasing your sister. Adrienne, give me that container over there."

I reluctantly went near the open window, jumping in surprise when a loud pop was heard. Danny laughed at me.

"You're so stupid. What's a firework going to do to you?"

"Just shut up, Danny!"

"Make me!"

"Fine! I wi-"

"Quiet! Both of you."

Danny and I quieted when our father entered the kitchen, and looked at both of us. He has a very commanding presence. Although he's only my step-father, I still respect him and obey. I don't like being on his bad side.

"Are you going to continue this fight?"

"No," we replied.

"Good. Now help your mother with the food she's preparing. Thats what you should be doing."

***

"Spencer! Our relatives are here. Come say hello!"

Spencer looked up from his drum set, debating whether or not to actually go upstairs. He figured might as well, since he would probably be dragged upstaris anyway and got up, walking upstairs to the first floor.

In the doorway were Danny, Adrienne and his aunt and uncle, along with his mother, who was welcoming them.

"Hey everyone," he greeted.

"Hello Spencer," his aunt and uncle replied, walking to the kitchen with his mother.

"I'm going to play... something," Danny eyed the game systems in the living room, and went towards them, as if hypnotized.

"Hey," Spencer started, trying to strike up a conversation with Adrienne. "Want to see something?"

His cousin narrowed her eyes at him, "What is it?"

"Nothing sick or perverted, I promise."

"Fine."

Spencer led her to his room, which was a complete mess. He'd known the party would result in people bombarding his room, but had forgetten to clean it. Shrugging the mess off, he reached into his closet and got what he was looking for.

"I got this for my girlfriend. Her birthday's coming up," he said, turning to face Adrienne.

She was smirking.

"What?"

"You have a girlfriend?"

"Yes. Is that a problem?"

Adrienne looked away, shaking her head. "No, I just find it hilarious."

"Whatever," Spencer replied, holding out the giant teddy bear in his hands. "What do you think?"

The teddy was a honey brown color, with white paws. It had a cute brown nose and big dark brown eyes. Draped around it was a sash that read 'Spencer Loves You' in big red letters. Adrienne hid her head in her hands, trying to hide her laughter, although it looked like she was crying.

"It's great," she managed to choke out.

"Wow, um... didn't mean to interrupt anything," Sam's voice came from the hallway.

Spencer looked over to see Sam and Yume in the doorway, staring at him and Adrienne.

"Is there something the two of you want to tell us?" Yume asked, her eyes darting between the both of them.

"I think they're closer than we thought," Sam chuckled.

"Cousin Incest! Thats horrible," Yume scolded, looking at Spencer the whole time. He sighed, wondering if what Sam had told him about Yume was true, that she liked him. Spencer shivered upon thinking this, since she wasn't exactly a bag of sunshine.

"Oh, are you regretting what you're doing now?" Sam questioned, staring at Adrie, who had been cracking up for a few minutes.

"Ok, ok, I'm done..." Adrienne got a hold of herself and smiled. "Spence was just showing me the gift he got for his... his..." She started laughing again.

"Aww, you got this for Carmen? How cute!" Sam cooed, grabbing the teddy bear out of Spencer's hands. "I wish Brendon would get me something like this."

"I heard my name," Brendon walked into the room, smiling.

"Party in Spencer's room!" Brent yelled, also walking in.

"Look! Isn't it cute?" Sam thrust the bear in Brendon's face. The first thing he seemed to notice was the 'Spencer Loves You' sash.

"Aww... you shouldn't have. Thanks Spencer," Brendon grabbed the bear from Sam's hands and ran out, Sam following close behind.

At that moment, Adrienne emerged from her latest fit of laughter.

"Ok, I'm good," she giggled, looking at Spencer. Yume looked at them some more, then went out into the living room. Spencer looked around his room, which was a bit messier than before, making a mental note to clean it later.

"I'm going to go get that bear back now," Spencer informed Adrienne, causing her to start cracking up again.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, the second part of this chapter was written in a limited, third person point-of-view. It was kind of centered on Spencer, thus why you heard his thoughts and such. If it's confusing in any way, please tell me and I will fix it.