Olive

Tuesday, May 6th

Tuesday, May 6th
Word: Ideate
Definition: to form an idea

"Step 3: Picking a Theme"

The weekend was boring. We won the game against Northwest. I scored a goal and assisted another. Forward is really my position.

Yesterday in class, Olive and I didn't really do anything until the end of class, so we decided that maybe one day working on it after school might get us done a little faster. We met up at Starbucks at 2:30. When I walked in, she was already waiting, at a table, tall caramel macchiato in hand. She's really a neat freak. I swear she's OCD. Whenever we start working, she puts all of our papers into this perfectly neat little pile, then places them in front of her, and slightly to the left..

I sat down across from her after I got my coffee and we started working. It's weird, I've known her since 3rd grade when she was the new girl whose clothes didn't match because she wouldn't let her mom pick hem out like all of the other girls our age did. I don't know hwo she hangs out with by name, but I know they spend all their time in the art room, and I know I've made fun of or beat up at least half the guys.

But there we were in Starbucks, laughing like two people who normally spend time around each other. Like she was normal. Like she wasn't a freak. I mean, she's not a freak, we just don't hang out. Like, she's not one of my friends. But she's a teenager, too. And we joke about the same things, and we do most of the same things for fun.

Well, anyways, it was all going good until my real friends showed up. I had just joked about making her be a lesbian after such a traumatic experience, and she was laughing and adding on about a name change, when I heard, "Carhlie! Oh my god! Hey!" I whipped around in my seat.

"Hey Missy, Spence. What are you guys doing here?" I asked, uneasily,, standing up to go see them.

I need my fix," Missy joked. ""Jenny, Ty, and Luke are with us. They're just slow." She laughed. "So what are you doing here?" She looked over my shoulder, obviously actually meaning, "Why are you here with her?"

"Theater project," I said, making sure my annoyance for that class showed through my words. I told them all I got stuck in that class. I actually did sign up for it. It's not like I have some secret passion for acting, or something lame like that. I just thought it would be interesting.

"That sucks," Spence said. Then the other three walked in, and I had to go though the same story again. I invited them to come sit with us, figuring they'd decline, considering I'm pretty sure I've heard Jenny making fun of Olive before, and they knew we were doing a project. But Luke cut in and said they'd love to. So after they got their cofee, they joined us.

"Are you new?" Jenny asked. I felt like yelling at her, 'Of course she's not new, you were making fun of her skirt two days ago, dumbass.'

Olive stared at her incredulously. "No," she started, slowly. "I've lived here since I was eight."

"Are you, like, a senior?"

"She's been in our science classes since 7th grade," Luke said for her. "You guys were lab partners a month ago."

Jenny giggled. "Oh, oops!" Luke rolled his eyes. Olive turned back into the anxious, shy girl she was a month ago around me. She's been really outgoing with me, lately.

"So, I'm Luke," he said to her. He was sitting next to her.

"I know," she said. "Same science classes since 7th grade, remember?" She let out a nervous laugh.

He laughed through a smile that was aimed at her. Jenny started talking to me about her prom dress and I nodded my head.

Jenny's dress is light purple, she told me. Lavender.

"Remember that time in 8th grade, with Ms. Landow, when I blew up the test tube and set off the fire alarms?"

I wouldn't know. I wasn't in that class.

Jenny says she was planning on going with Shane, but he got the wrong colored tie, and asked me if I had gotten my tie yet.

"Are you going to Prom?" Luke asks.

"I wasn't really planning on it," she said.

She shouldn't go with him. He told me he wanted to go stag senior year.

Jenny asked me if I'm wearing the same tux I wore last year.

"I can't go, anyways. I don't have a dress, and by now, all the stores are completely sold out."

Jenny asks me if I have a date.

"I could find you one," he said.

He also said something about his sisters having some from previous years.

I must have been shaking my head, because now, in two weeks, I'm going to Prom with Jenny, and Olive is going over to Luke's house on Friday to see if any of his sister's dresses fit her.

We had a free day today in theater, so I slept.

Away from Olive.