Olive

Monday, May 19th

Monday, May 19th,
Word: Idiot
Definition: Me

Saturday evening, our group met up at Luke's house before Prom. Everyone pitched in for a limo about a month ago. I was late, so I told them I'd just meet them at the restaurant. I wasn't actually running late, I just didn't want to hear Jenny yell at me, and I figured she wouldn't in front of everyone. I thought I was being smart.

When I showed up, there really weren't any empty seats. Jenny was calling me over to sit by her and I really couldn't ignore her much longer, so I just went and sat in between her and Luke.

"I told you lavender," she spat.

"Are you sure? I thought you said mauve."

"I said NOT mauve. That isn't mauve anyways. Mauve is red," she fumed. If mauve really is red, I guess that's how I'd explain her face.

I heard Olive ask Luke to switch her, to the right of me. She said the guy next to her was making her uncomfortable. I'd be uncomfortable, too, if I sat next to big John.

"Sorry," I said half-heartedly to Jenny, looking at my menu, feigning interest so she'd shut up.

"Whatever. I just have to find someone with a lavender tie to switch with you for the pictures." My face fell. She probably wouldn't.

"Psst-" Olive called.

I turned to her and smiled. She, however, did not look amused. In fact, right after she threw her dirty look at me, I felt the flat toe of her shoe crash down on my foot. "Ow!" I cried.
Everyone looked at me. "Slammed me knee," I said. They went back to what they were doing. "What was that for?"

"Oh, you know what that's for," she said. How was she mad at me too? "Why couldn't you have just acted like a human about it?"

"Acted like a human about what?"

"You knew that Luke was going to try to make plans with me on Friday, he told you, and you stopped him." I thought back to Friday, then. Friday was fun. Saturday wasn't. Friday, I got to go mini-golfing. Well, I got kicked out of mini-golfing. Saturday, I wasn'tt even doing anything, and I felt like I was in more trouble than I was Friday.

I turned back to my menu. "I had no idea. It slipped my mind."

"Stop acting stupid," she whispered, so no one could hear us.

I looked at her. "You're acting stupid. You're making stuff up."

She raised one of her eyebrows. "So you don't care if I go to the after party with Luke, then?"

I tensed up. The after party is at Luke's house. Luke's parents are in Paris right now. That means two things will be going on, and both of them are illegal for minors.

"I wouldn't go, if I were you," I warned her. "That party is idiot central. It's just a bunch of guys acting like assholes."

She laughed. "That's what this is, isn't it?"

I glared at her. "His party is worse."

She turned around to Luke. "Luke, you know, I think I will go to your place with you after this." My eyes opened wide, like bugs.

"Really? That's great!" he said. She shy-smiled at him. She smiled him MY shy smile. He smiled back, then he turned back to his conversation with big John.

"That's a stupid thing to do. You're not allowed to go," I stated.

Her mouth dropped open. "You're unbelievable. How are you mad that I'm going with him?"

"Because... because you're my friend. Not his. He's a moocher."

She looked at me like I had three eyes. I guess that was sort of a stupid thing to say. "You're strange. You ignore me forever, then once we start talking, you act interested me, then ask another girl to Prom, then get angry when I got with someone else."

I was pretty mad by that point. I raised my voice. "Don't make this my fault. I didn't even want to take Jenny. She just roped me in, and I didn't even realize I'd said yes."

That was where I made my mistake. Jenny, you see, was sitting right next to me. And when I raised my voice, she started paying attention to what I said.

So that night, Olive didn't end up going to the after party. She caught a ride home with one of her neighbors. My friend, Timmy, dropped me off at the restaurant where my car was after Prom. Nobody spoke to me- or Olive- for the rest of the night. Except Luke. Luke and Olive spent the whole time together. I, however, was ignored by every girl in our group, which, in turn, meant their dates, too. I just went and found someone else to hang out with.

I'm an idiot. I'm idiotic. Jenny's pissed at me. Olive didn't even look at me last period. Ironically, Luke is really the only person who still talks to me. I tried in every way I could to get Olive away from him, and in the end, she told him she only wanted to be friends. It was my fault, and he still talked to me.

I'm an idiot.