‹ Prequel: Changes

Making the Album

Night.

Tom's father sat outside the hunting store. It was late, very late. He had an odd expression on his face. It was focused, but unfocused at the same time. The streetlights cast shadows over him, transforming his features into something resembling the boogeyman. It was a frightening combination.

He sat there motionless. Except for his hands. They rhythmically locked and unlocked the trigger of a freshly purchased 3.5 caliber pistol.

***

"Jesus...it never get's old." Mike whispered to himself.

The hotel bed's sheets were tangled arond his body, and Jay was lying on his stomach, a sleepy smile on his face.

The sight made him smile. He'd never seen Jay like this. His face was clean, without a trace of makep, and his hair had calmed and settled into a halo of sorts about his face. It was a sight Mike could get used to. As Mike watched him, Jay's lips curled into a devilish little half smile.

"Now, Mikey, what kind of world would we be in if this got old?"

Mike smiled at him, and dropped a gentle kiss on Jay's waiting lips. Jay sighed happily, and snuggled closer to Mike.

"I wish this could last forever." He whispered.
"Me too."
"Liar." Jay chuckled. ";You'd wanna take breaks to play that bass of your's."
"Alright...but you'd wanna take breaks to go out drinking."
"I can do that right here...with you."

Jay pulled Mike's head down and kissed him soundly. Mike was more than content to reenact the past hour and a half, but Jay pulled away. His face was serious.

"Mike?"
"Yeah?"
"I know this is corny, and stupid...but..."
"What?"
"Tell me you love me."

Jay's cheeks were red, and he was smiling that tight, embarassed little smle that made him look so adorable. Mike pulled Jay close to whisper into his ear.

"I love the way you put your hand on my knee under the table when we're in a meeting. I love how you kiss me when people aren't looking. I love the smell of your cologne, and the way your skin tastes. I love being with you. And I love you."

Jay smiled.

"How the fuck did Billie get the songwriter's gig? What you just said, it would make the teenies swoon."
"Because when I say something like that, it's only for you and I don't wanna share it."

And this time, when Jay kissed him, he didn't pull away.