‹ Prequel: Changes

Making the Album

Telephone.

The phone was ringing.

It was obscenely early (or obscenely late, depending on your point of view). Tom's cheek was stuck to a paper plate, and his mouth tasted of pizza. He really did not want to get up.

But looking blearily around the room, it looked like he was the only one in any condition to answer the phone.

Tony and Billie had vanished into the bedroom sometime during the night apparently. And judging from the noises he could hear coming from their room, they weren't getting much sleeping done.

Mike and Jay were also gone, although their room appeared quiet. But Tom really didn't want to check out their room to see if they were sleeping. He suspected that other activities had gone on, other than innocent dreaming.

Barry was sprawled over the couch, his mouth slightly open and snoring away. He looked like a strung-out Sid Vicious again, which made Tom smile. It was a side of Barry the others hadn't seen yet, and it obviously impressed them.

Blondie and Robert were spread-eagled at the kitchen table, their limbs hanging off the chairs. Robert had laid his head down on a peice of pizza, and the cheese was sticking to his skin. Blondie was muttering something, and twitch periodically. Tom supposed he was dreaming.

Cursing under his breath, Tom grabbed the phone.

"Hullo?" He asked groggily.
"Good morning, Thomas."

Tom nearly dropped the phone.

"I saw you on that ridiculous television show. Saturday Night Live, is that what it's called? You were smashing amphs with your base. That is what you want to do with your life? That is what you live for?"
"I was having fun."
"You were behaving like an idiot."
"That's your opinion."
"It seems I'm the only one left with any sense. These idiotic magazine reporters seem to enjoy your antics."
"They have taste."
"Ah, Thomas. You're so naive. But I'm not calling to tell you what you already know. I'm calling to give you one last chance. Come home now, or face the consequences."
"You know I'm not coming back."

There was a slight pause. Tom felt goosebumps rise on his arms.

"You've made your choice. Now you'll have to live with the consequences."

The line went dead. Tom carefully replaced the phone onto the hook, and stared at it.

For the first time since he'd left his father's house, Tom was truly afraid.