‹ Prequel: Changes

Making the Album

Performance Art.

It was probably the most instructional five minutes of Robert's life. Billie forced him to stay in time, forced Robert's voice to hit the proper notes and not to improvise.

And as much as it pissed Robert off, he was grateful.

"Ten seconds!"The producer hollered. Billie stood up.

"Just stay in time, don't rush it, and don't try to turn it into any of those hard rocking scream-fests you love so much. Then you'll be fine"

Robert was quiet for a moment.

"Why did you do that for me?"
"Because I wana fuck you"

Dead silence. Robert's eyes got huge. Billie burst out laughing.

"I'm just kidding. Come on, you'll miss your cue."

***

"And now, in a TRL exclusive live performance, we bring you, the Dolls!" Damien announced cheerfully.

Robert burst onto the stage, microphone in hand. The trumpet player began the opening, accompanied by the thrumming of Tom's bass. Robert took a deep breath, winked at Billie, and began.

Started at the age of 4, my mother went to the grocery store.
Went sneaking through her bedroom door to find something in a size 4.

Sugar and spice and everything nice wasn't made for only girls.
GI Joe in panty hose is making room for the one and only.


Robert's voice was stretched to the breaking point. God, he wanted to hit high notes, to add in some screeching vocals. But he kept time, and was delighted to see Damien's horrified face.

King for a day, princess by dawn. King for a day in a leather thong.
King for a day, princess by dawn, just wait 'til all the guys get a load of me.

My daddy threw me in therapy, he thinks I'm not a real man.
Who put the drag in the drag queen?
Don't knock it until you tried it.

Sugar and spice and everything nice wasn't made for only girls.
GI Joe in panty hose is making room for the one and only.

King for a day, princess by dawn, king for a day in a leather thong.
King for a day, princess by dawn, just wait 'til all the guys get a load of me.


And before Damien could launch the next video, Robert gave Tony the thumbs up. Tom and Tony simultaneously began to play the opening to 'When I Come Around'.

"Now, we're gonna play you something that's actually ON our album. Here's 'When I Come Around' by the lovely and talented Green Day."

I heard you crying loud, all the way across town
You've been searching for that someone, and it's me out on the prowl
As you sit around feeling sorry for yourself
Don't get lonely now, and dry your whining eyes
I'm just roaming for the moment, sleazin' my back yard so don't get so uptight
you been thinking about ditching me


Tony was grinning like crazy, strumming like a wild woman. Robert was kicking ass. Blondie was smiling again. And off to the side was Billie, smiling at her in a way that only he could. It was a beautiful moment.

No time to search the world around, cause you know where I'll be found
When I come around.

I heard it all before, so don't knock down my door
I'm a loser and a user so I don't need no accuser
To try and slag me down, because I know I'm right
So go do what you like, make sure you do it wise
You may find out that your self-doubt means nothing was ever there.

You can't go forcing something if it's just not right.


Robert loved this song. It was a ballad and it was an anthem and it was a love song, all rolled into one kick-ass song. And the fact that he was nailing it just made him happier.

No time to search the world around
Cause you know where I'll be found, when I come around.


He let the notes throb in his throat, let them blast into the microphone. The kids were loving it. They were dancing and singing and cheering at him. Sweat was dripping off his forehead and his kunckles were white from clenching the microphone. But Robert had never been happier.

Although punching Damien in the face backstage was a close second.