‹ Prequel: Changes

Making the Album

Come Together.

Mike lay on the bed, completely naked under the blanket. Jay was half-asleep, smiling drowsily as he wrapped his arms around Mike's waist. Just feeling Jay's skin on his own was perfect. But considering what the last hour had consisted of...

Just thinking about it brought a lazy smile to Mike's lips.

"You look happy." Jay observed sleepily.
"I am happy."
"Good...you should always be happy."
"Jay?"
"Mhmm?"
"What were you trying to say earlier?"

Jay smilied wickedly at him.

"I think I made it pretty clear."
"No...before any of that...you tried to say something..."
"Oh." Jay looked serious.
"What, oh?"
"I just...just stuff...the usual."

For some reason, Jay looked uncomfortable. And it was very unsettling.

"Do you still want to say it?" Mike prodded.
"Mike, it's late. The guys'll be coming home soon."
"So?" Mike challenged. Jay's eyes darkened.
"You know the conditions this relationship has, Mike. I'm not going to ruin anything for you."
"I honestly don't think anyone would care."
"Say we go public. How long until those asshole conservatives start boycotting your record? Start holding protests outside your concerts? It won't affect just you, Mike. It'll affect your bandmates too."
"They'd stand by me."

Jay sat up, pulling away from the bassist. Mike suddenly felt cold. Why couldn't they have just one night together?

"Mike...I care about you too much to let anything happen to you. Please...please just listen to me on this one. I'm a druggie, got HIV, and face it, I'm nowhere NEAR in style. You would be attacked. I'm not important enough to go after."
"Jay..."

Mike didn't know what to say. Jay was so protective of him, and Mike was so protective of Jay. They were constantly having the same argument. And it was never even getting close to a resolution.

So Mike gave in, hoping for a few more minutes to hold Jay close and kiss him and maybe do other things. But Jay vanished into the bathroom, and Mike heard the shower.

The bassist lay back against the pillows, silently cursing.

How much longer were they going to have to lie?

***

The others returned to the apartment extremely drunk and extremely horney. Robert disappeared into the room he shared with Tom and Blondie with a giggling blonde girl. Tom had apparently gone home with some girl he'd met, according to Blondie's drunken slurs. The drummer passed out on the couch, leaving his extremely disappointed date to call a cab to take her home.

Tre had also brought home a girl. She had long red hair and enourmous breasts. Mike barely saw her before Tre whisked her off into his own room. For the remainder of the night, her squeals could be heard.

But for some bizarre reason, Billie and Tony were nowhere to be found.

***

Bille slammed Tony up against the side of the tour bus. It was cold outside, their breath creating steamy puffs of smoke in the frigid air. But they kissed hungrily, hands roaming, little moans and whispered secrets punctuating the silent night.

Somehow, they made it onto the bus. Billie dropped Tony onto the bed and worked his hands up under her shirt, kissing her furiously.

"Billie..." She breathed.

He didn't know if she was trying to tell him something, and a part of him just didn't care. As he fumbled with her belt buckle, she reached up and pressed the play button on the stereo above the bed.

Led Zeppelin poured softly from the speakers. Robert Plant crooned silkily, words that Billie couldn't understand. He felt Tony's hands move down his chest, over his belly button, to slip beneath the waistband of his boxers.

It would be later that he realized what Robert Plant had been singing. Later that he discovered the name of the song had been, 'Since I Been Lovin' You'.

Working from seven to eleven every night,
It really makes life a drag, I don't think that's right.
I've really, really been the best of fools, I did what I could.
'Cause I love you, baby, How I love you, darling, How I love you, baby,
How I love you, girl, little girl.
But baby, since I've been loving you, I'm about to lose my worried mind, oh, yeah...