‹ Prequel: Changes

Making the Album

Last Set.

"HAPPY FUCKING THANKSGIVING!" Billie bellowed, as the crowd roared its approval.

Billie threw his guitar into the crowd, then leaped offstage. Tony kissed him.

"Urgh. You're all sweaty." She teased, then hugged him close. "Great show."
"You're up next." He whispered, smiling.

Tony looked fantastic. She wore a top that was black, adorned with sparkling designs and obscenely tight. The tattoo on her back was clearly visible. Her nails were purple and her hair was straightened for once. She'd let him put on her eyeliner, and even Tre had remarked on how good it looked.

She was a sight, standing up there, facing a crowd that could actually care less about her prescence. Spread out before her were an assortment of distortion and WA pedals. Her bra straps were showing, and she didn't care, a tight, predatory smile on her face.

Robert was tapping his foot, 100% rock god with his tight Ramones T-shirt. Steven Tyler had leant him his famous scarf-draped microphone stand and Robert looked like he was meant to use it. Hell, Robert looked like he'd been born to be standing on that stage with a trickle of sweat on his forehead and a crazed look in his eyes.

Tom picked up his bass, facing the crowd. He was beautifully skinny, with long fingers. He flung his pick into the mosh pit and stepped forward. The bassist was radiating a nervous energy that Billie knew from experiance would explode into a fierce, burning performance.

Blondie was scowling at the audience from behind his drums. He wore no shirt, and his muscles bulged under his tattoos. His fingernails were painted black and his jeans had holes in the knees.

There was a moment of silence, and then they began.

Robert began to scream the lyrics to 'Rape Me' by Nirvana as Tony ripped away at her guitar strings. 'Rape Me' morphed smoothly into 'Walk This Way', which faded into 'As Tears Go By' from the Rolling Stones.

They played a blistering version of 'When I Come Around' and transformed 'Come As You Are' into something that wasn't quite a ballad, but came pretty damn close and sounded phenomenal. Tony's guitar solos on 'Ain't It Fun' were awe-inspiring; Billie noticed that Joe Perry looked impressed as he watched the girl. Robert switched gears effortlessly, singing 'Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You' to applause.

Robert got the entire crowd involved with 'We Will Rock You', asking the screaming fans to provide the stomps and claps along with the band. Tony crooned 'Losing My Religion' while Robert took guitar duty, and Tom surprised them all by singing 'Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap', sounding for all the world like Bon Scott.

Then Tony grabbed the microphone, winking at Robert.

"We're gonna play you something we've never played to a crowd before. Hell, I don't think we've ever played it period. But we'll give it a go."

And then they played a heartfelt, emotional rendition of the 80's song, 'Don't You Forget About Me'. Billie saw tears in his wife's eyes as she looked over at him and mouthed, 'I love you'.