‹ Prequel: Changes

Making the Album

Attack.

Their closing song was 'Stand Up (Kick Love Into Motion)' by Def Leppard. All the bands were supposed to run onstage as it ended and take a final bow.

Aerosmith sauntered onto the stage to roaring applause, followed by Def Leppard. Bille did a few backflips while Tre climbed up onto the speakers and leapt down. Mike and Jay appeared, kissed and then took a bow. Barry and Rabbit could be seen on the side of the stage, grinning. The crowd was going wild and the Dolls launched into 'Blitzkreg Bop'.

Suddenly, Billie noticed the Rabbit was pointed to the mosh pit. Barry's face went white and he began gesturing. Billie looked down into the pit and saw Tom's father.

With a gun pointed directly at Mike and Jay.

---

Jay saw him before the first shot was fired. It was going to hit Mike. Jay never figured out how he knew this; it just occured to him.

And before he had time to think about it further, he shoved Mike to the ground.

There was a blinding pain and Jay crumpled to the ground, tasting blood in his mouth. He screamed in spite of himself.

The last thing he saw was Mike's face.

---

Barry leapt onto the stage, shoving Tony and Blondie off. Where the fuck is Tom?, Barry thought in panic. He heard a scream, whipped around. Jay crumpled to the ground and didn't move. Mike started cursing, tears streaking down his face.

He could see Tom's father in the mosh pit, an insane grin on his face. And he turned the gun on Billie.

Barry heard Tony start screaming. Blondie was too far away to do anything, security couldn't reach the guy in time.

Tom's father pulled the trigger, sending the bullet ripping through the air. Barry cursed and tackled the lead singer.

He felt the bullet shatter his rib cage, felt it puncture a lung. Billie was swearing and struggling, but all Barry could do was lay there, sputtering weakly.

He could taste blood in his mouth, and he was in agony.

He couldn't breathe....

---

Rabbit was crying and he had never felt so helpless. Jay was lying on the ground and he wasn't moving. Mike was cradling his boyfriend's head in his hands; Rabbit knew that Mike was afraid to move him. Moving an injured person could kill them, and to have that on your conscience...

Billie was pinned beneath Barry. The producer was moaning, obviously still alive, but the pool of blood was getting bigger and bigger, and Barry's moans were getting softer and softer...

And Rabbit could see the bastard who'd done all this. He could see him in the mosh pit, aiming his gun at Tom while the fans around him screamed and sobbed and tried to get away. The idiots couldn't understand that they were making it impossible for security to get to the psychopath.

The assistant producer then realized something. If he were to climb up on top of the amphs and jump, he could tackle the bastard before he could shoot Tom.

Rabbit didn't hesistate. He dragged himself upwards, forgetting that he was terrified of heights, or that the psycho could kill him just as easily, if not more, from that height.

He reached the top, and jumped.