‹ Prequel: Changes

Making the Album

Grammy's.

"You know, if we keep this up, we're gonna be late," Billie murmured.

Tony chuckled, and reluctantly removed her hands from his belt buckle. A sulky pout on her face, she glared down at him.

"Who cares about the Grammy's anyways?"
"Barry's been nominated...I've been nominated..." He sighed, kissing her gently as he eased her off of him.
"So? We never used to care about awards."
"I still don't. But this is the first time Barry's been nominated. We should be there."

She muttered a few curses, and then sprang off the bed.

Billie watched her with a smile. Despite the fact that Tony was well into her 40's, she was still gorgeous. She was still the woman he married, although she didn't drink nearly as much as she used to, and maybe she was taking life just a little easier these days. She had a few gray hairs, yeah, and perhaps she didn't join in the mosh pits as much as she used to.

But he was still in love with her.

***

With a heavy sigh, Billie padded into the bathroom to shave. As he dragged the razor across his cheek, he stopped.

Where had the young man who'd sang 'Basketcase' gone? He wondered, and when had he left.

There were wrinkles on his cheeks that hadn't been there before. Lines around his eyes that made him look tired. Billie frowned, even as he rubbed a hand over his now smooth chin.

"Pouting again?" Tony asked.

Billie jumped, dropping his razor into the sink. Eyeing his wife in the mirror, he smiled. One more thing that hadn't changed, Tony still walked around in her underwear. And she still looked amazing.

"Not pouting...just wondering...if I've still got it..." He said quietly.

Tony's face grew serious, and she paused while pulling Billie's Operation Ivy T-shirt over her head.

"You're scared that you're getting old." She accused, stepping close to him so that they stood nose to nose. "You big 'fraidy cat."
"Am not." He mumbled.

Tony smiled.

"For your information, these," She traced a smooth finger over the wrinkles he'd been eyeing in the mirror. "They're laugh lines. And everyone's gonna be so jealous of you."
"And why is that?" Billie asked, wrapping his arms about her waist.
"'Cause they all wish they were as happy as us."

***

"Billie!" Tre boomed, and slapped Billie's ass playfully.

The drummer hadn't changed in all these years. Still loud, still funny, and still oddly charming. Only now, he had Chrissy to keep him in check.

And she'd obviously dressed him. Instead of something mis-matched and goofy-looking, Tre wore an expertly tailored tuxedo. The only exception to Chrissy's taste with the violently orange bow tie that clashed fantastically with Tre's now-green hair.

Chrissy rolled her eyes as she and Tony embraced. The two women looked beautiful.

"I tried my best." Chrissy told her, with an glance at her husband.
"No one blames you." Tony replied with a smile.

Tony was gorgeous in a tight, bohemian-style dress made of pale yellow lace over a darker colored fabric. It fell to her knees, hugging her hips gently. And of course, Tony was wearing knee-high boots, just so they'd clash with the feminine dress.

Chrissy, she looked amazing. Her dress was a deep purple, strapless and simple, yet completely breath-taking. The dress fell to the ground, rustling softly whenever she moved. Tre's eyes softened as he watched her, smiling gently.

"I couldn't talk him out of either one. So I figured, as long as something looked right..." She gestured at the tuxedo as she and Tony linked arms.
"So where's the rest of the crew?" Tre asked.

Dead silence.

"I'd like to apologize for the use of the word, 'crew'." Tre joked sheepishly. Chrissy pecked him on the cheek.
"Jay and Mike are already somewhere backstage. We're waiting on Blondie and his girlfriend, Rabbit and his wife, and Tom and his wife."

"Did I hear my name taken in vain?" A voice asked loudly.

Jay hadn't aged a day, or so it appeared. Still handsome, still oblivious to popular style, still using a can of hairspray every morning before breakfast.

And still madly in love with Mike.

Mike, Mike had aged gracefully as they all knew he would. His sleek blond hair had slowly become whiter as the years passed, and there were more wrinkles around his eyes. He didn't move as quick as he used to, and he was on medication for his heart.

But he was still Mike Dirnt, and chances were, he could still beat your ass if you pissed him off.

They both wear dressed elegantly, although Mike wore a tuxedo, while Jay stuck to his now-battered trenchcoat and boots. Both had applied eyeliner neatly around their eyes. Jay had even gauged his ears for the event.

"Sorry, we were scoping." Jay joked. "You should see the dancers back there. They've got next to nothing on."
"Now, when you make statements like that, Jay," Tre told him airily, "You get me all confused, because I never know if I should be excited or not."
"You should." Mike confirmed. "Mr. P. Diddy's arranged for some show-stopping number, and...well, you know how he is."
"Do we ever." Rabbit's voice came from behind them, the eyeroll implied.

Rabbit's hair was still that same fantastic shade of blue. He was the youngest of them all, still the baby of the group when it came to his age. He was barely into his late thirties, and yet he was probably the most sought-after producer in the country.

He wore a simple black tuxedo, no frills to distract from his handsome face. Ali was wearing something tight, black and gorgeous that only accented her eyes. She greeted Chrissy and Tony warmly.

"Where's the children?" Rabbit asked with a grin.
"Well, Tre's here..." Mike laughed, dodging Tre's fist. "Hey, hey, hey. I'm getting too old for that!"
"Never too old for a bit of exercise." Tre replied. Chrissy laughed.
"Yeah, but your definition of exercise is disputable." She teased, and kissed him gently on the cheek.

"Eugh. Blondie, look at this. We're gone for five seconds and everyone gets all lovey-dovey. It's disgraceful." Tom joked, as he, Blondie, and their respective dates entered the room.
"Hey. It wouldn't kill you to be lovey-dovey once in a while." Keri teased, smacking her husband playfully.

Tom blushed, and kissed her apologetically on the cheek.

"So, where are your lovely offspring?" Lisa asked, fussing absently with Blondie's hand.

Billie shrugged. "Anika is most likely on her way, and I'm hoping that Barry is backstage."
"But knowing my dear brother, he's probably still at the hotel with whatever one-night stand he's mooching off of."

It was common knowledge that Barry slept around, despite his relationship with Meria. It made for a slight strain between the respective parents, but as Barry obviously did care for Meria, it was nothing that couldn't be smoothed over.

Anika smiled and embraced her father. Her green eyes sparkled, and her crimson lips curved into a smile. Her blonde hair was swept upwards into an updo, and scattered locks brushed gently over her face. Her fashion sense had gone bohemian, and the turquiose gown she wore reflected that appropriately.

"You look gorgeous." Her mother told her proudly.
"Meria'll be here in a few minutes. She's gone to drag my baby brother out of bed."
"Alright, I'm half a second younger than you. Let's get over it already, shall we?"

Barry Armstrong strode into the room, hand in hand with Meria Cool. Tony sighed.

Barry and Meria were the modern day Courtney Love and Kurt Cobain. Barry looked breath-taking in a ripped up pair of jeans, black Converse and a destroyed Ramones shirt, while Meria was gorgeous in a vintage silver dress, with systematic rips. Her nails were black, and her beautiful blue eyes haunting.

"It's the Grammy's, baby. Couldn't you have at least attempted a suit?"
"Jay never has." Barry said with a wink.

Barry had taken after his father in every possible way. The way he walked, talked, smiled. It was like looking at a picture of Billie in his younger days.

Jay laughed, and clapped the young man on the shoulder. The two had always been close; 'Uncle' Jay had even paid for Barry to go to the Berkely School of Music in Massachusetts.

"There's a difference," Lisa said, teasing her favorite 'almost-nephew'. "Jay is a tatty old man, and you're young and handsome. You should play that card, sweetie."
"Hey." Jay tapped her gently across the cheek.

Blondie, of course, punched Jay hard on the arm. Protective, yes, he was. But his punch wasn't hard enough to bruise. Jay laughed, and stepped away.

"Rabbit, where's your son?" Meria asked lightly.
"Ryan's on his way, according to him. But I'm willing to bet that he's schmoozing on the red carpet." Ali said with an eyeroll.
"You know, Mom, I don't think you have any faith in me at all." He kissed his mother's cheek gently. "I was schmoozing backstage."
"Oh, ha ha." His mother said sarcastically. "Barry was here before you were."

Ryan tossed his shaggy white-blond hair out of his eyes, and drew himself up to his full six feet and three inches.

"I was too here. I just wasn't with you."
"Stop harassing him, Ali." Rabbit told her, snaking an arm about her waist. "He's a big boy, and he's here now."

Instead of the arguement everyone had anticipated, Ali sighed, and allowed Rabbit to pull her close.

"Shouldn't you guys go get seated?" Barry asked, taking a lazy look at Jay's watch.
"It's amazing how you only keep track of time when you want us to leave." Mike teased.
"But he's right." Lisa pointed out. "The ushers are starting to mobilize."

There was a smattering of laughter as everyone remembered the time that Tre and Blondie had charged the ushers, stolen their flashlights, and been thrown out of the ceremony almost ten years ago.

"Good luck, dear." Tony told him, kissing him gently on the cheek.
"Yeah, Mom." Barry replied, rolling his eyes.

Meria chuckled and hugged her 'aunt'.

"Go out there and kill 'em, sweetie." Tre told his daughter. Chrissy rolled her eyes.
"See you after the show?"
"Of course, Mom. Me and Barry will come to the after party Billie and Mike are hosting."

Tre's face tightened at the mention of Meria's sometimes boyfriend, but he smiled.

"I'll see you two there then."

***

Billie was mildly surprised with the seats they'd been given. A few weeks ago, he'd complained to his son that there was never enough leg room at these events.

And miraculously, they'd been given arguably the best seats in the house, with enough room to stretch your legs as far as your little heart decided.

"Wow. Barry's got some pull in this industry, huh?" Mike asked, stretching out his long legs.
"Just like his father." Tony said with a smile, and intertwined her fingers with Billie's.

And then the lights went down and the show began.