‹ Prequel: Changes

Making the Album

Memories.

"Hey Adrienne. Hey boys. What's going on?"

The part of him that had some semblance of reason rolled its eyes.

Look at you. Talking to slabs of rock in the pouring fucking rain.

Billie ignored it. He actually hadn't seen the tombstones he'd picked out. Just looking at them brought tears to his eyes. Thinking of his children, his wife... Gone.

"So Tony kissed Barry. Where that leaves me, I don't know. Am I an idiot, Adi? Stupid for even getting involved with her?"

Silence.

"I mean, she said she loved me. And I went through hell for her. It's not like I didn't do anything for her. And I thought she was happy with me... Erm, sexually, you know."

The rain was soaking through his jacket. All of a sudden, it just seemed so hopeless. Billie just didn't care anymore. Life had screwed him over one time too many. And Billie didn't want to play this game anymore. He lay down on the grass, feeling the wet and cold seep through his clothes. The water touched his body like an icy cold phantom. He could almost feel his lips turning blue.

"See you in a bit, Adi."

***

"Where the fuck is he?" Tre bellowed into his phone.
"Tre, if you scare the shit out of the maid, she won't help you." Tom said very quietly.

Barry had an ice pack on his eye. Blood had dried on his face, and the producer didn't seem to care. He had this look on his face, a cross between anger and remorse. Tony was in the studio. She'd been playing the Guns N Roses song 'Ain't it Fun', for the past hour. Mike could see the blood on her fingers.

Robert saw where Mike was looking.

"She thinks that if she can nail the song then things will be alright again. It's her defense mechanism."

Blondie sighed. "I think it's everyone's defense mechanism. I know I did the same exact thing."
"Well, she obviously feels guilty" Jay interjected from his seat on the couch.
"She should." Tre snarled.

And then Barry stood up.

"No one should be blamed here except for me. I wasn't thinking clearly and I did something I regret. And now I'm going to fix it."

And he walked out of the room, his jaw set and his back stiff.

Tony played on, staining her guitar strings crimson.