Such A Chore

Cleaning

With a growl of frustration, Kim cleaned the counter in the kitchen. With the busy schedule of the boys she shared the bus with; she was often left in an empty bus with nothing to do. Well, nothing better to do.

They’d never asked her to do it. Not really. But the looks that passed over Ryan’s usually impassive face when he regarded the counters, was enough to make even the messiest person impeccably clean.

It was surprising to her just how resilient some of the stains were. She didn’t know – or want to know – what they were but their stubbornness had her hot and bothered in no time at all.

When the four other inhabitants arrived back from an interview, she was sitting several feet from the counter, harbouring a severe grudge against the cloth she had been using and glaring at it sporadically as if to emphasize the point.

Brendon chuckled and picked up, resuming the chore where she had left off. She hated the surface currently and so was quite happy that Brendon was helping. She had no real interest in whatever face Ryan would pull or how long it would take to remove the stain properly, the counter was that damn frustrating. In fact, she had no interest in cleaning whatsoever.

Brendon released a grunt, his tongue poking out with effort at trying to make the stain disappear. It wasn’t budging though. He climbed up onto the counter, on all fours above the pesky smear and restarted scrubbing.

Suddenly, cleaning held a lot of interest to Kim.
From where she was sitting anyhow.