Such A Chore

Hoovering

Hoovering was the worst.

It was even more frustrating than ironing.

Kim blinked several times, trying to hold onto the fraction of patience that she had. She could feel it wavering by each passing swipe at the table legs with the hoover. Ryan passed her and chuckled at her vicious actions and didn’t make a comment. Kim scoffed at his lack of comment, fair enough, she would probably swipe at his face if he did, but sometimes Ryan’s wit was refreshing and enjoyable. Emphasis on the sometimes.

Jon walked past too. He looked tired, so when he didn’t remark on Kim’s hovering style, she let it slide without as much as a snide thought. Spencer settled himself in the sofa and was absorbed in his book before she could even blink.

“And everyone thinks Ryan is the geeky reader,” she muttered to herself, jumping when a strange hand settled on her hip. She spun on her heel to see Brendon, a sly smirk on his face.

Cocking an eyebrow did nothing to deter him. He smiled that easy smile that made Kim weak at the knees and removed the hoover from her hands. She frowned, confusion evident on her face, because Brendon explained, “I want to help.”

A small cynical laugh escaped her lips before she could do anything to stop it, “What do you want, Brendon? You only help when you’re after something.”

Brendon smiled once more and set about the job like he had with the cleaning, a focused and determined gleam in his eyes. Kim rolled her eyes and went to walk away. If she had been listening or maybe if she wasn’t sure her mind was playing tricks on her, she would have heard the single, quiet word Brendon replied with.

“You.”

A week later, she was sitting with Jon, beers in hands, waiting for Brendon to appear. It was a well known fact that the boys competed onstage to do the craziest things without being noticed. It was, however, not a well known fact that the person who came last had to do some degrading forfeit type thing.

Brendon, as the front man, was well used to losing.

He wasn’t used to the type of forfeit that Jon had smacked down this time though. It had started as a bit of a joke, “Complete one of Kim’s chores.”

Brendon had, stupidly, announced that that was ‘easy as hell’. Ryan had smiled coyly and added his own sentence, “Of her choice.”

From those words, Kim had been adamant in her mind that it would be the damn hovering he would do. But Spencer, always the crafty bastard had decided that that wasn’t good enough for such a spectacular loss.

“Naked.”

Jon smiled, his face similar to that of someone who’d just been cured of a terminal illness, “Done.”

Brendon was indignant at first, then rolled his eyes and beamed at them all. “If you want me to strip for you, all you have to do is ask,” he cooed at them then went to fetch the hoover.

When Ryan chuckled and high fived Spencer and Jon smiled at Kim, she couldn’t help but smile back.

Hoovering finally had some appeal to it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finito.