Sequel: Making the Album

Changes

Cigarettes.

Being back on the tour bus, after the show, waiting for the Dolls to get back, was awkward. Mike was sipping a beer and Tre was playing some ridiculous beeping computer game. And Billie, Billie was on edge.

"Where the hell are they?"
"I've told you three times, Bill. Blondie told Tre that the band was going out afterwards, if it was alright with us. Tre, being an idiot, said it was fine. And now we're waiting."
"Why did you say it was ok?"
"Because I assumed they'd be back by now." Tre barely took his eyes from the game. Billie rubbed his fists into his forehead.
"So." Mike said, putting his beer down. "Billie, you mind having a cigarette with me?"
"No..."

He had a sneaking suspicion that Mike wanted to talk about Tony. And sadly, he was right.

"Where were you two last night?"
"We were at the hotel-"
"Don't lie to me, Billie. You weren't at the hotel, because YOU never came back to the room last night. And I'm pretty sure that Tony didn't either. It doesn't take a genius to put two and two together."

Billie sighed.

"Alright. We stayed here. We slept together. Is that what you wanted to know?"

Mike was silent, puffing fitfully on his cigarette.

"Are you going to tell Tre?"
"No."
"Why the hell not?"
"Can you imagine what he'll say?"
"I expect he'll say pretty much the same things I'm saying, only louder."
"Don't be a wiseass, Mike. Its not flattering."
"Did you even think about what people will say when this gets out? The press will have a field day. They'll rip that poor girl apart, and her band with her."

Cursing, Billie flicked the ash from his cigarette.

"It won't be that public, Mike."
"Don't kid yourself. We just dropped an album that's selling like mad, you just lost your entire family in a car accident. You think the press WON'T tear this story apart?"
"Can you just humor me?"

Billie slid to the ground, and swore as he realized it was wet. Mike's face softened.

"Billie, Bill, BJ, I can't humor you. If you really love this girl, put some space between the two of you. She's not ready for fame."
"None of them are." Billie said softly.

There was a thud, and Mike dropped to the ground beside Billie.

"I know. But hey, if they keep playing the way they have been, they'll be fine."
"What if they wind up...there's so many ways this business screws artists over. We got lucky. What if they don't?"
"They'll be fine. They're got each other."
"Just like we did."

And they sat in comfortable silence, smoking their cigarettes and feeling the cold seep into their clothes.