Sequel: Making the Album

Changes

Cancelations.

"Where the fuck is everyone?" Tre asked, dropping an armful of beers on the table.

"Um...Billie and Tony are screwing, most likely, and Mike and Jay went out to get wasted." Tom answered in a bored monotone as Robert snapped up a beer.
"So why are you guys still here?" Tre asked, mildly surprised by Mike's whereabouts.
"Nowhere else to go. And you guys have a message...the machine was beeping."

Tre pressed the play button.

'Hey guys, its management. Just calling to tell you that the tour's been cancelled. You guys have already missed a shitload of the dates...the excuse is exhaustion, so you guys had better lay low for a little while. The Dolls are due back at studio in a few months, so make sure they don't miss that. Call us."

The machine beeped and Tre dropped into a chair cursing. Nobody moved. And then Blondie's beer let out a hiss. Blondie flushed.

"Oh FUCK." Tre muttered. "Fuck, fuck, fuck."
"It can't be that bad." Tom said quietly, patting Tre on the shoulder.
"I want to rip Tony's hair out."

Robert started laughing, which was not quite the response Tre had anticipated.

"Why are you laughing?"
"Because I have that exact feeling almost everyday. Wait till you try recording with her. She's into perfection."
"Oh jesus, remember that time..."

Tre cracked open a beer and listened to the Dolls reminicse. He was reminded of himself, starting out. Sitting around with Billie and Mike, no idea where they were going, or even if they'd have a place to stay tomorrow night. Just happy that they had beer, and each other.

He realized, that he really did like these people.

And he was going to make sure that nothing bad happened to them.

~~~

"So she says - she says...what was I saying?" Jay asked.

Mike cracked up, putting his head onto the bar. Jay grinned stupidly.

"I guess joke accomplished."

Jay refilled his glass with a trembling hand. He threw the vodka back and swallowed it with a practiced gulp.

"You...you killed someone?" Mike asked. Jay laughed.
"Sure..."

And then Jay toppled backwards off his barstool and lay giggling on the floor. Which is when Mike realized how much Jay had had to drink. And how much more sober Mike was compared to Jay.

"Oy! You! You can't leave him there! You'll need to leave." The bartender ordered. Mike flipped him off, hoisted Jay onto his shoulder and limped out of the bar.

Then he leaned Jay against the wall and and poked him.

"Jay? Jay, get up."

Jay opened one eye and looked at Mike.

"You're very handsome, you know that?"
"Thanks." Mike replied, pulling Jay back into a standing position.
"No. I'm serious. You look like Marty, only he had thinner lips and longer hair. I could kiss you."

Mike blushed and pulled Jay's arm over his shoulder.

"We'll leave the car here and come back for it tomorrow. Or maybe Tre will come back later and get it."
"You're too cool, Mike."

Then Jay started laughing. Mike realized it would be a long walk home.

~~~

"Here's the trailer. I think you'll have to bunk up with Tony. Or squeeze into bed with me."
"I'd like that." Jay murmured, his voice husky from the yelling, laughing and cursing he'd done on the walk home.

And then, with surprising speed for such a drunk man, Jay leaned over sideways and kissed Mike full on the lips.

Mike, surprising himself, kissed back for a few moments, before pushing Jay away. Jay was instantly apologetic. The kiss seemed to have shocked him back to sobriety.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" He said, stumbling away from Mike.
"Shut up." Mike told him, then kissed him gently.

Jay stared at him.

"Why did you do that?"
"Because."

There was a moment. A moment that Mike knew he would remember.

"Now, its inside and into bed with you."
"That's what I like to hear." Jay said enthusiastically, then winked at Mike.

"Just kidding, sweetie."