Sequel: Making the Album

Changes

Promise Me.

Tony rolled over, facing a still sleeping Billie.

He'd been all she'd wanted for the past few weeks, all she'd thought about when she'd been high. And now, having him here, holding her, was almost too much to bear. She wrapped her arms tightly around him, putting her head on his bare shoulder, relishing the feel of his skin.

"Billie?"
"Mhmm." He muttered. She knew he was still sleeping, but she couldnt wait until he woke up properly.
"Can you make me a promise?"
"'Course."
"Promise me that you won't hurt me."

He opened one eye to look at her.

"I would never hurt you. You know that."
"Billie, can you just promise me please?"

For a brief moment, she was terrified that he would roll over and go back to sleep. But then he smiled.

"I promise I will never hurt you."

Then he kissed her on the forehead and went back to sleep. And Tony snuggled close to him, felt his breath on her skin.

And for the first time in years, she felt safe.

~~~

Sunlight streaked through the dark, hitting Mike in the eyes. He cursed. He went to roll over, and found himself face to face with Jay.

Surprisingly, the musician looked strangely angelic, almost too innocent. His makeup was slightly smeared, clothes rumpled, lips parted. His body was spread out across the bunk, his arm thrown over Mike.

Mike felt himself flush. He very gently moved Jay's arm off, trying his hardest not to wake up the still sleeping man.

But despite his efforts, Jay stirred and yawned.

"Mike?"
"Yeah?"
"You're really gonna wanna get out of my way."

Mike swore and toppled off the bunk. Jay dropped gracefully off the bunk, hit the ground running and dashed into the bathroom. He emerged a few moments later, an annoyed look on his face.

"How much did I drink last night?"
"Dunno...a few bottles?"
"Fuck. Less than usual and I still feel like hell. I must be out of practice."
"Jay?"
"Yeah?"

Jay looked over at Mike, his eyes almost sad.

"About last night - "

But before Mike could say anything, Jay cut in.

"I'm sorry. You were drunk...well, so was I, but I took advantage. I'm sorry. If you want to get physical...I'll understand."

Mike smiled evilly. Then he grabbed Jay's shoulders, slammed him up against the bathroom door and kissed him. And the look of surprise on Jay's face was priceless.

"Why'd you do that?"
"Because I like kissing you, Jay. I just don't know what this means."
"Then let's find out."

And Mike kissed him again. Neither of them noticed the door opening. Tony slipped into the hall, shut the door quietly and watched them with a huge smile on her face.

"Well. Good morning to you guys."

Mike hit the roof. Jay looked as though he'd had a heart attack. Tony burst out laughing. Mike noticed her laugh was a bit strained, as though it hadn't been used in a little while. But it still brought Adrienne to mind, still reminded him of Billie's wife.

"Jesus, Tony. What was that for?"
"Don't look so upset. First time I've laughed since I went to New York."

She winked at them, then vanished into the bathroom. Mike cursed. Tony's voice floated out of the bathroom, hitting musical notes that Mike had rarely heard hit.

"Someone's BUSTED."