Sequel: Making the Album

Changes

Breakthrough.

Mike spilled his purchases onto the counter and the teenage cashier gave him a filthy look. Tre poked Mike, then pointed at the tabloids.

"Get me a Rolling Stone, will you? I wanna see if there's anything in there about the VMA's."
"Will do." Tre replied, then began riffling through the magazines.

If looks could kill, Mike had the feeling that he would have dropped dead. Obviously, the cashier wanted to go on break.

"Mikey, look at this." Tre held up the Rolling Stone, opened to the middle.
"Oh fuck."

He grabbed the magazine out of Tre's hands, and slapped it onto the counter. The cashier looked startled.

"Well? What are you waiting for? Ring this shit up!"

***

"EVERYONE GET UP!" Tre bellowed, walking into the house. Mike was a few steps behind him, reading the article.

"What?" Yawned Tony. "What's wrong?"
"Why am I awake? Its not even noon yet." Complained Tom.

Billie peered over Mike's shoulder, than at the Dolls.

"You guys have been mentioned."
"What?!" Blondie dropped his cereal bowl and milk cascaded across the tile.

Tony grabbed the magazine away from Mike.

"'Friday night : Usually, Hank's Drink n' Dance doesn't host live bands. Hank, warm, cuddly guy that he is, prefers a DJ, or no music at all. But this Friday, Hank hired a New York-based cover group the Dolls to play. And they've BLOWN their cover, no pun intended.
'Their frontman sings like Axl Rose, or Steven Tyler. He prowls, he croons, he swaggers. Young as he is, he keeps your attention, at least until it is stolen by his equally talented bandmates. None of them use their actual names, and their stagenames can only add to their mystique.
'The band is currently in studio, or they should be. They share a label with Green Day, and according to sources, the rock superstars are mentoring the fledgling band.
'While the band themselves are unavailable for comment, one wonders if the cancellation of Green Day's US Tour was due to certain personal problems the Dolls have been having. Aside from taking the young bandmembers to the VMA's [where Green Day won a whopping seven awards] the band has been seen in numerous public places with band members.
'We asked some hardcore fans for comments, and most of them expressed disappointment in their favorite band. One young man said, ' I just can't believe they cancelled their entire tour for some fucking newcomers. I bought tickets and shit, you know?' Green Day should be warned that, despite the 'talent' of their new find, it is unwise to test the loyalty of fans by cancelling such an important concert.'"


"What a load of bullshit. They've patted us on the back with one hand, and slapped us across the face with the other." Blondie looked mournfully at the remains of his breakfast.

Tony hugged Billie, who looked sad.

"It'll be alright. You haven't done anything."
"Yes, we have. We've cancelled the fucking tour. I didn't even think about that..."

Tony sighed, the smiled. She hugged him, then whispered in his ear.

"Come on. I haven't showered yet."

***

"So. What are you guys going to do?"

Jay put his boots up onto the table, watching as Tre hunted around for his shoe.

"Dunno. Nothing we can do really. Play a few surprise concerts, do some signings. Probably some interveiws, explaining why we cancelled the tour."
"I mean, what are you gonna do to keep spirits up?"

Tre sat back on his heels.

"Drink?"
"I've got a better idea." Jay told him, with a huge smile.