Sequel: Making the Album

Changes

Carnival.

"This was a fantastic idea." Tre told Jay. Jay just smiled at him.

The local carnival was apparently a great place to blend in and have a good time. It was loaded with rednecks, teenagers and the odd elderly man who thought they were still twenty-one.

The rides were insanely varied, the music loud. Jay slipped his hand into Mike's and smiled.

"Wanna take me through the haunted house?"
"Point me to it. I've been dying to have you all to myself in the dark."

~~~

"Check it out. A fucking spinny thingy."
"Its called the Zipper, idiot. Can't you read?"

Tre watched Tom study the flashing sign and chuckled as Blondie watched him.

"I've decided to rename it. Fucking, spinny thingy. It's a good name... Better than the Zipper."
"You are an idiot." Blondie said affectionatly, and they got into line.

"They're best friends, you know."

Tre jumped, realizing that Robert had come up behind him.

"I can tell."
"D'you... Tre, do you ever feel... I dunno... Left out? Of your band, I mean."
"Robert, what are you talking about?"
"See... Tony's this fabulous musician, and she gets on well with everyone. And lately, she's been getting on with Billie. And Blondie and Tom, they've always been like that... You know... friends. I'm kind of... Just the singer... Or that's how I feel sometimes."
"You aren't." Tre told him firmly.
"And you're telling me you never feel left out? Everyone knows that Mike and Billie... They were friends before you were there..."
"They are my friends. You can't be in a band if you don't connect with people in it."

Robert looked throughtful.

"Sometimes... There are these times when we're so... In sync... And then there's days when we're not even on the same wavelength. Its weird."

Tre patted him on the back and said, comfortingly, "You're the lead singer. If experiance has taught me anything, you're going to turn out to be a drama queen. What you're feeling now, its probably just you tapping into your inner lead singer."

"I'm being an idiot." Robert chuckled.
"Yeah... But we've all been there. Come on, they're saving us a spot."

***

The only problem with Jay's plan was the fact that his cast kept getting in the way. Not that they were going anywhere, Mike thought to himself with a frown. But Jay, almost sensing what he was thinking, kissed him again and that in itself was enough to make Mike forget his troubles.

It was dark, secluded... People were running through the room scared out of their minds and not paying any sort of attention to the moving lump in the corner of the room.

Until a little girl came running over and petted Jay's bare shoulder, then kicked Mike in the back.

As if they'd planned an escape route, the pair of them rolled simultaneously rolled backwards, until they hit the wall. Then Jay started tugging back on his shirt, Mike helping somewhat.

"That was too close. Too close." Jay was shaking his head.
"But it was a good idea." Mike tried, guiding Jay's arm through his shirt while trying to pull his own back on. Jay shook his head harder.

"How good are the odds that that could have been a reporter? Or someone who actually realized what was going on over here? Nope. Not again."

Mike felt his heart sink into his shoes. But then Jay looked over at him with a grin on his face.

"Got the keys to the tour bus?"

~~~

"Billie, just hold still."
"I can't believe I let you talk me into this."
"It's cute. It's kinky."
"It's embarassing."
"No. You're just all self-concious because you're a big strong man."
"That's most certainly not the reason. Any male would draw the line at this humiliation."

Billie peered into the mirror and sighed. His face had been transformed into a multi-colored butterfly. Tony hugged him from behind, looking at her face next to his in the mirror.

"It's not fair. Why did you get to be the tiger?"

Tony smiled and kissed him gently.

"Because you're too pretty to be a tiger."

Then she grabbed the Steven Tyler-esque scarf she'd stolen from one of the gypsy men who'd been hitting on her while Billie had been getting his face painted, and did a little dance. The scarf fluttered cheerily as she moved.

"Now come on. I wanna find the others... And get something to eat... And kiss you until all your make-up's gone."

Billie wound his arms around her waist and kissed her very gently. He placed his forehead against her's and said, "That can all be arranged."

She smiled and draped the scarf around his neck, pulling him closer.

"Billie?"
"Yes?"
"Would you do anything for me?"
"You know I would."

She put her lips close to his ear, whispering, "Then could you please..."

Before she finished her sentance, she pulled back and sang out the last few words in a melody reminiscent of the Beatles.

"Tell me a little white lie?"

He captured her in his arms, smiling into her face as he said, "I don't love you. You're ugly. And if I never saw you again, I would be happy."

Tony smiled and hugged him tight.

"Me too, sweetie. Me too."

And they kissed, letting their lies tell each other what they weren't ready to say.