Sequel: Making the Album

Changes

Performance Art.

The fledgling band passed by Green Day's dressing room on their way to the stage. The guitarist handed Mike a grubby piece of loose-leaf.

"In case you wanted to know what we're performing in advance."
"Well, don't you introduce the songs."

The girl looked at him as though he had two heads.

"No." She said simply, and returned to her band.

Billie peered over Mike's shoulder at the neatly numbered list.

1. Ain't it Fun : Guns n Roses
2. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You : Led Zepplin
3. White Wedding : Billy Idol
4. Women : Def Leppard
5. Rag Doll : Aerosmith
6. [Good Riddence] Time of Your Life : Green Day
7. Mr. Brightside : The Killers
8. I Wanna Be Sedated : The Ramones
9. Hell on High Heels : Motely Crue
10. Cherry Pie : Warrant
11. Somebody to Love : Jefferson Airplane
12. Miss You in a Heartbeat : Def Leppard

"Why that little bitch." Mike muttered.
"What? Its not that bad." Tre said, scrutinizing the list.
"She deliberatly avoided the songs we suggested. Her original list had SOME of these songs on it, but they've switched it all around."

Billie laughed.

"Well, it's too late to do anything about it now."
"And why the hell not?"
"Because they're taking the stage."

Realizing that there was nothing he could do until after the show, Mike allowed himself to be led to a booth to fume. Tre was giggling into his hand, and even Billie couldn't suppress a small smile.

All that was left to do was to order some drinks and watch the Dolls perform, what Mike was covinced, would be a poorly rehearsed and off-key performance.

The Dolls walked onstage carrying their instruments. The lead singer put a water bottle full of who knows what beside his microphone, then cleared his throat into it.
The girl gave him a dirty look.

"Um, before we begin, our guitarist wants to say something."

Billie noticed she held her guitar with a certain authority, that she strummed it with a certain style that was all her own. And it reminded him of someone that he couldn't quite place his finger on.

"Hi." She said into the mike.

The crowd cheered and cat-called. She smiled.

"I'd just like to dedicate our set to a friend of mine who recently died. His name's Mitch, and he overdosed on crack. So if you're thinking about shooting up tonight, think twice. Please."

And then, before the crowd could even start cheering, they launched into their first song.

Basically, their set was energy, a fireball of power chords and high notes and songs that had been perfect the first time around nailed, taken to a higher plane. Their lead singer howled like a beautiful wounded animal, and their guitarist thrashed, not caring that she was sweaty or that her make-up was smearing. And their small, gangly bassist played with a strength and precision that commanded the stage, while the drummer was rhythmic and loud and commanding.

As they finished their last song, Billie looked over at Mike and Tre.

"We'd better be good." Tre whispered in awe.