The Cracks in Our Foundation

The Perfect Shoes

I went back to the bathroom to fix my make-up. I was fairly sure I wouldn't be interrupted again but you could never really be certain of anything if he was involved.

I finished and walked back into the bedroom to finish getting ready for the party. We were actually going out, to a public place together. It was bound to be terrific fun. Damn, I was even being sarcastic with myself now. I could feel a headache starting behind my eyes. It was going to be a long night.

I dug through the piles of clothes on the floor. He'd even torn through my dresser drawers looking for his shoes? Why would his shoes be in my dresser drawers? What would I possibly gain from that? I had to admit to myself, though, the thought of hiding all of his shoes in random places through out the house was pretty amusing. I laughed out loud to myself. The look on his face alone would be worth the effort.

I shook my head to clear those thoughts away. I was being mean for no reason. He hadn't done anything that he hadn't done a million times before.

But maybe that was the problem.

I finally found my outfit for the evening. I pulled on a black halter top and dark, boot-cut jeans. It wasn't fancy but it was enough for me. Now for the part I'd been waiting for.

I lifted a box out of a bag in the corner. Luckily it had escaped the earlier rampage. Yesterday, while shopping, I saw a pair of shoes in a store window. They weren't just any shoes, though. No, they were the perfect shoes. Just enough of a heel to give me some height, ribbon straps wrapped around my legs like a caress. I'd been looking forward to this party as an excuse to show them off. I admired them in the mirror for a moment before I decided I was ready.

I walked into the living room. The mess there matched the one in the bedroom. And it didn't look as though he'd made any effort to clean it up. He was slumped down on the couch, flipping channels on the television. He'd knocked over a can of soda and the puddle was slowly spreading across the table.

"Are you ready to go?" I wanted to get out of the house before I started screaming.

"Yep." He jumped up from the couch. "You look great tonight, baby."

I smiled and kissed him. He could be so sweet when he wanted. His arms wrapped around me and I settled into his embrace. It was moments like these when it seemed like everything would be okay.

"Have you seen my wallet?" he asked into my hair.

It was going to be a long night...
♠ ♠ ♠
If anyone's reading, I'm sorry it was so short. I'll probably put another chapter up later today.
Comments, please?