Aaron Gillespie

Aaron Gillespie

The computer showroom was a mad house.

Aaron glanced sideways at Alicias grandfather as the glass-and-chrome doors swung closed behind them. Are you sure you want to do this today?

Im sure.

Id be happy to pick out one and bring it home to you.

Young man, Im not about to spend my remaining years living in dread of another heart attack. I want to experience this for myself.

Alicia would kill Aaron if anything happened to the old man, but he knew it was futile to try to change Grandpa Rogers mind. Hed already discovered where Alicia got her stubborn streak.

Yes, Aaron answered. Were looking for a laptop for my friend here.

Right this way.

Aaron motioned for Grandpa Roger to follow the salesman, and then fell into step behind the older man. Above the din of conversations, he could hear the salesman begin his pitch.

Alicia, I turned your grandfather into an Internet junkie in less than twenty-four hours. I hope youll forgive me.

On the heels of that thought, he wondered how her day was going. Was Bundles of Joy as jam-packed with customers as this showroom? He didnt know whether to hope so or not. Shed looked tired this morning. He suspected she wasnt sleeping well.

I wonder if it has anything to do with me.

He silently laughed at himself. What an absurd, egotistical notion! Why should he cause her to lose sleep? They were nothing to each other but friends.

And Im the friend who finds her sexy.

Aaron?

At the sound of Grandpa Rogers voice, he dragged his thoughts to the present. Yeah?

Youre the expert. What do you think?

Sorry. About what?

The salesman did everything but roll his eyes in exasperation, then began his spiel a second time, enumerating all the advantages of the laptops on display.

An hour later, the two men left the store, their purchase made. Roger Armstrong was the brand-new owner of a lightweight, high-speed, state-of-the-art laptop computer. His eye twinkled like a kids on Christmas morning, and there was a definite spring in his step as they walked towards Aarons SUV.

Let me buy you lunch, the older man offered. We can have leftovers for supper.

Sounds good to me. Where to?

How about Gracies?

Aaron closed his door and stuck the key in the ignition. Where is that?

Grandpa Roger lifted an eyebrow. Youve been married eight months, and Alicias never taken you to Gracies?

We dont eat out much, Aaron bluffed.

I guess not.

He started the engine. You point the way. Ill get us there. Maybe we can beat the lunch crowd.

Gracies was one of those home-style restaurants found in every small town in America. It was in a converted brick house, nestled a block away from Meridians main drag. A handicapped ramp had been added to the front entrance, and the backyard had been turned into a black-topped parking lot. Two ancient maple trees, their branches stripped bare by winter, stood as sentries on either side of the driveway.

They were to late to beat the lunch crowd, Aaron realized as he pulled his vehicle into the only available spot. Or maybe they were too early to avoid the breakfast crowd. He couldnt be sure.

Alicia, her grandmother and I used to come here the first Saturday of every month for breakfast, Grandpa Roger said. It was a favorite tradition. Gracie serves the best French toast with homemade maple syrup youve ever eaten.

Aaron glanced at him. Oh, yeah, he lied. I think I remember her telling me about it. He got out of the vehicle before the older man could reply.

A change of topic was in order, he decided as the two of them walked toward the entrance. And after today, he planned to avoid this kind of thing like the plague. Ever since hed sat in the Boise coffee shop two weeks ago and agreed to this crazy plan of Alicias, hed been doing things totally out of character. Hed better start acting like the work-obsessed musician he was and forget this cozy-family make-believe world hed been sucked into.

By the time he and Grandpa Roger were seated at a table near one of the gingham-curtained windows, Aaron had managed to steer the conversation back to computers and the Internet. He succeeded in keeping it there until midway through the meal.

Im curious about something, Alicias grandfather began.

Aaron tried not to let his apprehension show.

Doesnt it bother you that Alicia didnt change her last name to Gillespie?

Well he said slowly, trying for just the right tone. Maybe a little. But they do it a lot these days.

It seems so unlike her. My granddaughters always been a traditionalist. And a romantic could fall in love and marry so quickly, right?

I guess so.

Which means you must be a bit of a romantic yourself.

Aaron Gillespie? A romantic? When pigs fly.

He cleared his throat, then said, We discussed it, of course. The name thing. It just made more sense, because of her business, to leave things as they were.

I suppose. Grandpa Roger looked unconvinced. Call me old-fashioned. I still think a man and a wife should share the same last name with their children. The baby will be a Gillespie, after all.

Humphrey Gillespie? Aaron said beneath his breath-and then grinned at the ridiculous sound of it.

Pardon?

His grin broadened. Nothing, sir. Just a private joke between Alicia and me.

The older man smiled, too. Every marriage should have a few of those. Keeps you close.

Aaron felt a stab of guilt. He and Alicia had fabricated a life, and Roger Armstrong had bought into it, hook, line and sinker. When her grandfather looked at the two of them, he saw a couple of romantics in love. He couldnt knowand hopefully would never knowhow wrong he was.