Aaron Gillespie

Aaron Gillespie

Aaron didnt sleep well that night. He heard every creak the house made, every breath Alicia took, every whimper from Rags, even Rosie as she padded down the hall on one of her nocturnal inspections. That would have all been bad enough if hed understood why he couldnt sleep, if he could have pinpointed the reason and dealt with it. But it wasnt that simple. This had more to do with fuzzy impressions and disturbing, unnamed emotions than with anything concrete.

Aaron always dealt better with the concrete than with the abstract.

He had just checked the clock for the umpteenth time7:00 a.m.When Alicia let out a sharp gasp. It was unmistakably a sound of pain.

Alicia? He sat up. Whats wrong?

Nothing. The word was barely out of her mouth when she caught her breath again.

He got up and hurried across the room. Leaning close, he ignored Rosies warning growl. What is it?

Just a stitch in my side. Thats all.

He took hold of Alicias hand. Are you sure?

Im sure. She pulled her hand away, then sat up, leaning her back against the headboard.

Aaron didnt move.

Stop hovering, she snapped, obviously irritated. Im all right.

You didnt sound all right a minute ago.

Well, I am.

He straightened but remained at the side of her bed. I think Susies right. You need to stop working until after the baby comes.

Dont be ridiculous.

His sudden anger was irrational, and he knew it. But that didnt change it. At least he managed to keep from raising his voice. Im not the one being ridiculous. Im telling you, you need to stay home.

And who do you think you are to tell me what to do? My husband?

No, I dont think Im your husband. Aaron switched on the bedside lamp so he could see her. But I do think Im the one with the common sense.

Alicia crossed her arms over her chest. Her eyes sparked with anger that matched his own. My work schedule is none of your business. She enunciated each word with care.

It is as long as were playing this little charade of yours, he replied with the same precision. Your grandfather would expect it. Remember? Even a guy like me knows you need to rest and take better care of yourself. At least think about the welfare of the baby.

Her face paled. How dare you? she whispered.

I dare plenty when I care enough.

Alicia pursed her lips together in a thin line. Her chin quivered.

Aaron couldnt be sure if she was stifling a colorful retort or fighting tears. Maybe both. He decided hed better get out before he said something he would really regret. Hed probably already said more than he should have.

Youre single and over twenty-one, he said as he turned away. Do whatever you darn well please. He grabbed his sweatshirt and slippers off the chair beside the bed, then strode from the room.

Before he reached the stairs to the basement his outrage had evaporated. Alicia was right. It wasnt any of his business. She could decide what was best for herself.

But darn it all! He did care about her. He cared plenty.

He cared too much.

-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-

From his basement office Aaron heard the water running in the master bathroom.

Ive got to apologize to her, he thought. I was way out of line.

He booted up his laptop, listening as it whirled and clicked, making all its usual odd sounds before it was ready for his command. He considered opening his word processing program and doing a bit of work, but he logged onto the Internet instead hoping a visit to one of his favorite sites would take his mind off Alicia.

He looked over the snow reports for Bogus Basin, Brundage Mountain, and Sun Valley. He priced new skis, boots, poles, and guitars. He even checked on a two-week vacation package to a resort in Switzerland.

Alicia remained all the while in his thoughts.

He wasnt sure what possessed him to go into a search engine and enter the word maternity in the search box. The first links in the list of websites didnt improve his spirits; complications of birth; difficult births; breech delivery.

Then he found some options on birthing classes. Curious, he followed the links and began reading.

By the time he heard footsteps on the stairs outside his cramped office, he had a passing knowledge about the Lamaze and Bradley natural childbirth methods, understood about birthing rooms and mother-friendly hospitals, and had printed off a copy of Ten Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy as well as several pages of frequently asked questions.

He closed his Internet browser just as Grandpa Roger appeared in the doorway.

Am I intruding? the older man asked.

No. Not at all. I was about ready to go upstairs and get myself something to eat.

Mind waiting a minute or two?

Aaron shook his head. No, sir.

Alicias grandfather settled onto a wooden chair that had seen better days; it rocked slightly on its uneven legs. The elderly mans expression was grim. Apprehension tightened in Aarons belly.

You know, Grandpa Roger began after a pregnant pause, Ive rather come to like you in the short while Ive been here.

Thank you, sir. The feelings mutual. He had a bad feeling about this.

You and Alicia seem right for each other.

Uh-oh.

Grandpa Rogers eyes narrowed as he looked across the desk at Aaron. Societys mores have changed a great deal during my lifetime. Not always for the better. In some circles nowadays, marriage is considered pass. He gave his head a slow shake. Im not part of those circles, Aaron. I remain firmly convinced that men and women should wed before they are physically intimate, and I most definitely believe they should be legally joined in matrimony before they bring children into the world. He leaned forward. Do you think those believes are antiquated, young man?

Ah no, sir.

Good. Then will you tell me why you havent married my granddaughter?

Aaron glanced toward the stairway, then back at the older man.

I overheard your argument this morning, Grandpa Roger continued. I put two and two together and got four. Youve arranged some elaborate hoax for my benefit.

Sir, I

Do you love her?

What else could he say? Yes. Yes, of course I do.

And you want to participate in raising your child, give him a good home.

Again, he had no choice but to answer Yes.

Then I expect you do the right by them both. I expect you and Alicia to get married. If you love her and want to be a part of her life and your babys life, then theres no reason you shouldnt.

Mr. Armstrong sir well, you see, the reason we havent

Good Lord! The dread on the older mans face might have been comical if he hadnt made him look as if he were about to suffer another heart attack. Youre not a married man, are you? He clutched his chest with both hands. You dont already have a wife?

No, sir, Im not married. I was once, a few years ago. I never planned to go through that again.

Grandpa Roger visibly relaxed. I see. Once burned, twice shy. Is that it?

Aaron nodded. It was true, after all.

Children?

No. The marriage was brief. Six months.

Ah.

Aaron rose from his chair. He would have paced the office, only there wasnt enough room. I think I should talk to Alicia.

That was my thought, too.

Ill go now.

Grandpa Roger stood. Well go together.

But, sir, I

Youll find Im a stubborn old man, Aaron, when I choose to be. This is one of the times I choose to be.

-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-

Alicia stared at her reflection in the mirror over the sink. There were dark circles under her eyes, and her complexion was pallid.

Maybe Aaron and Susie were right.

She winced inwardly, hating to admit that, even if only to herself.

I am tired, she said to her reflection. Terribly tired.

She hoped her grandfather would understand when she told him she wasnt going to church this morning. Se didnt have the energy.

She sighed, realized she owed Aaron an apology. Hed been concerned for her welfare. Maybe hed overstepped his bounds a little, but their argument was entirely her fault. Shed been out of sorts and had made him pay for it.

She turned from the sink and left the bathroom. No point in putting it off. She would make her apologies now.

Aaron and her grandfather were standing in the middle of the living room when Alicia emerged from the hallway. Something in Aarons expression caused her to stop in her tracks.

We need to talk, Grandpa Roger said.

Aaron gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head, followed by an equally subtle shrug.

Lets all sit down, her grandfather added. Shall we?

Apprehensive, Alicia sat in the wing chair closest to the piano. Aaron sat across the room from her in the recliner. Grandpa Roger settled onto the couch.

Does he know? She wondered as she met her grandfathers gaze. She quickly looked at Aaron. Did you tell him?

As if hed heard her silent question, Aaron gave another silent shake of his head.

Alicia, my dear girl, I over heard your argument this morning, her grandfather began.

Her heart sank as her worst fears were confirmed. She lowered her gaze to a spot on the hardwood floor., about three feet in front of her.

I can only surmise why you have concocted this pretense. I suspect it was to protect me. For my health.

She nodded.

I wont judge you, Alicia, for the choices youve made. It isnt my place to sit in judgment. But Id be in error if I didnt encourage you to do what youre heart knows is right. Ive witnessed the love you and Aaron have for each other. Your baby should have the privilege of seeing it, too.

Oh, Grandpa, she whispered, her misery clear in those two words.

He continued, his voice gentle but firm. Whatever impediment you perceived that kept you from marring before now it can be overcome. And I hope, if the impediment was my reaction when you called me last spring, that you can forgive me for my careless words.

She looked up, knowing the moment had to tell the truth. The whole truth. Grandpa, I think you should know that

Your grandfathers right, Aaron interrupted, rising to his feet. We should get married. He stepped toward her, skirting the coffee table. I told him about my being divorced and never intending to marry again. But hes right. Thats no excuse. We should do as he says.

But, Aaron, we cant

he knelt beside her chair. We can work things through, Alicia. I know we can. He took hold of her hands, pressing them together between his. His eyes beseeched her not to argue with him. Marry me.

She could scarcely think over the din of her pounding heart.

Say yes.

In some remote part of her brain, she knew this couldnt really be happening, that she was dreaming, and any moment now she would wake up.

Say yes, Aaron repeated, his voice low and beguiling.

yes, she whispered, staring deeply into his beautiful eyes.

Her grandfather stood. You two should be alone.

She was aware of Grandpa Roger leaving the living room, heard the click of his bedroom door closing behind him, but her gaze never strayed from Aaron. Not even for an instant. She wanted the fantasy to continue a little longer. She wanted to believe in the love her grandfather thought he saw. She wanted to pretend she was carrying Aaron Gillespies baby and that he loved her and wanted to marry her, wanted them to be a family.

Aaron shattered the romantic daydream with a few softly spoken words.

Good thin you played along. He released her hands, then rose to his feet. I think the shock mightve killed him. You shouldve seen him down in the basement. I was really worried.

She blinked.

Ill have someone draft a prenup agreement thatll protect us both, he continued, just above a whisper. The marriage can be dissolved after your grandfather goes back to Arizona.

Her throat ached, and her chest hurt.

Aaron leaned down, touched the back of her hand, forcing her to look at him once again. Itll be okay. Its only for a few weeks. I can be convincing in my role as the new husband. Ive come to care for your grandfather too much to let anything happen to him because of me.

Thanks, Aaron, She managed to say.

His smile was tolerant. Dont look so sad. Well pull this off. Your grandpas gonna be okay.

Sure, he will.

The real question was, would she be okay?