You're Beautiful Tonight

You're beautiful tonight.

“Marina?” I called, walking through the door. “Marina, where are you? You call me, saying I have to come over, and then you’re not even here. What’s with that?” I muttered the last bit to myself. “Damnit, Marina, where are you?”

“Holy shit!” I yelped as I fell to the ground. Marina always was one for slightly painful surprises. I tried to get up, failing because of the large, teenage-girl shaped mass on top of me. “Marina, you’re gonna have to get off me now.”

“I don’t wannnnna! You’re comfy.” Sometimes I wonder if she cheated on her IQ tests.

“So you’ve told me. But I need to get up because there’s something digging into my back, and eventually, when it gets all the way through, it’ll be digging into you, too.”

“Oh, geez!” She hopped off me like I had the plague.

“So why’d you call me over? You need me to kill a spider or something?” I joked. Marina cannot handle being on the same floor as a spider, let alone close enough to kill it.

“No! I just wanted to hang out, that’s all.” She propped herself up, leaning her arms on my stomach.

“Really? You had no plans at all?” I raised an eyebrow in disbelief. Marina is the queen, the empress of plans. I swear, she even plans when she’s gonna pee.

“Well, maybe a little plan…” Oh, lord, here we go. “Iboughtpathfinderand300andiwantedtowatchthemwithyoucauseiknowyoulikethemandi’malittlescared,” she blurted.

“Rewind, slow down, and say that again.”

“Mark!" she said, ‘I bought Pathfinder and 300 and I wanted to watch them with you ‘cause I know you like them and I’m a little scared,’” she repeated, slowly, as if she was talking to a complete idiot.

“Marina, scared? That’s a first.”

“Whatever, asshole. Want some ice cream? I’ve got mint chocolate chip, black raspberry, oranilla, and a crapload of those FLA-VOR-ICE things?” Oh, lord. She was really bored yesterday.

“Yeah, let’s get some, then Pathfinder. It’s not that scary.”

“Promise?” She made puppy dog eyes at me.

“Promise. Come on, I need my ice cream!”

We made our way through Pathfinder, Marina grabbing my arm a little tighter every time someone popped out, or almost died, or she got scared at all.

The credits rolled down the screen. Marina was almost on top of me now. Those Persians in 300 really got to her. Red splatters, mimicing blood, appeared on the screen over and over again.

Marina turned turned and looked at me, her face inches away from mine.

“Yes?”

She kissed me. Her lips were chapped, rough, and tickly, and it only made it better.

It only lasted a moment.

“Why?” I whispered.

“Because,” she murmured back.

“How’d you know?”

“Because, baby girl, you’re so obvious it’s funny.”

I kissed her back.

“You’re beautiful tonight. Marcy.”

My name never sounded sweeter.