The Pros and Cons of Growing Up

Part Twenty-Five

Aiden’s POV

“Is Dad okay?” I asked Daddy the second he came downstairs after laying Dad down.

“They said its stress.” He sighed, shaking his head. “He’s on bed rest… just please don’t bother him with anything. Something is wrong…”

I looked at my father, suddenly worried. I nodded and headed to the kitchen where Eric was doing homework. He looked up and smiled. “Hey.”

“Dad’s sick.” I said quietly, sliding into the open seat next to him.

He put his pen down and looked at me.

“What?” I snapped.

“Nothing, I just thought… maybe you’d wanna talk about it.” Eric said, trying not to sound upset.

“Well I don’t.” I muttered.

“Alright.” He picked his pen up.

“So my dad’s sick and all you’re gonna do is that fucking homework?” I scoffed.

“Aiden, what would you like me to do?” he asked slowly, looking up.

“I don’t know…”

“Well I don’t have the time to wait for you to decide.” Eric said, gathering his books. He walked upstairs, not looking back at me.

I sighed and watched him leave, feeling like with every step he got farther away from me… and not just in a physical sense. We were slipping apart.

I twisted my wedding ring around my finger and sighed, going upstairs. I went into Dad’s room, climbing into bed with him. He draped an arm around me and snuggled me close to him.

“I love you, Aiden.” He whispered, kissing my cheek. “You really are my best friend.”

I felt myself smiling. “I love you too, Dad.” I smiled.

“I feel so shitty.” He moaned into my neck. “The room is spinning and I can’t breathe right… this sucks.”

I hugged him close. “I wish you felt better.”

“Thanks honey.” He said, and closed his eyes. I felt his breathing on my neck and I sighed, curled in his arms, where I knew I would be for a long while.

“I just… feel so bad.” He said slowly. His forehead was mopped in sweat, making my stomach tie in knots. I was literally scared for my dad’s life, though I knew he’d be fine. He was my dad, the constant in my life.

But what if he wasn’t fine? “Dad I love you.” I said again.

He nodded. “C-Can you get me some water?”

I got out of his arms, padding into his bathroom. Their room was a mess where Dad had been so sick lately. Eric had been keeping the house clean, but for obvious reasons he nor I felt comfortable cleaning my parents’ room.

I got him some water in a cup he always kept on his bedside table and took it to him. He sipped it for a little bit, then set it down with shaky hands and looked up at me. “Thanks, babe.”

I nodded and looked at the dark circles under his eyes, at his pale skin…

“Dad, you need to sleep.” I said quietly.

“My head hurts too much.”

“I-I heard Daddy telling Eric he was on his way to pick up your medicine… why not try to sleep?”

“I can’t.” he said, his breathing heavy. “I just… it… it hurts.”

I nodded and bit my lap. “I… I’m sorry.”

He nodded and laid down again, looking disoriented. I stroked his hair some, trying to think of what he did for me when I was sick. When I was sad… he’d always been there for me, yet all I could do was say ‘I’m sorry’?

I felt like an awful son. “Dad… I’m scared… I’m scared f-for everything and you don’t…”

“I’m fine, Aiden.” He said, and his voice began to slur.

“Dad?” I whispered, tears filling my eyes. I stood up and shook my head. “I gotta go to the bathroom…”

I left the room and pulled my cell phone out of my pocket. When Daddy answered I almost burst into tears. “Y-you need to get h-home. He… He’s being weird and I…” I said, trying not to start crying. I’d never seen my dad like this, never.

“Aiden, calm down.” Daddy said in a soothing voice. “Take a deep breath.”

I did as he told me to, leaning against the hallway wall.

“Now what’s going on?” I heard him at a check out line.

“H-He’s all… like… he can’t focus an-and his voice is… is weird. He’s sweaty and… dad, he’s bad.” I was now officially freaking out. “I need you to get h-home because I don’t know wh-what to do for him and--.”

Eric came out. “Aiden? What’s going on? Are you alright, honey?” he rushed over.

“Aiden, let me talk to Eric please.” Daddy said.

I reluctantly handed the phone to Eric, who placed a hand on my shoulder. He was ‘mhmm’ing to whatever Daddy was telling him, his hand now massaging my shoulder.

Eric hung up and looked at me. “Your dad will be home soon… I’m going to check on Frank, alright?”

I nodded, following him into the room. Eric sat on the bed where I had been.

“How do you feel?” he asked Dad softly.

“Not good.” Dad slurred.

“Aiden, get a cool rag.” Eric turned to face me.

I nodded and got him one, standing at his side. Eric washed my dad’s neck and face off, talking quietly to him. Dad was nodding and answering slowly, voice still slurring.

I felt gratitude towards Eric. He had come in here and already made me dad feel somewhat better. I knew we had been having our problems lately, but he was still here for me… doing this… helping my Dad. Dad looked at me and our eyes met. I think he understood because he gave me a small smile and didn’t press anything any further. If I were going to keep my mind, I had to keep at a distance from him. This was my parent, the man who for 5 years of my life (the most crucial five, maybe, not counting my infant years.) raised me alone. Without him, I could not have survived.

I felt tears form in my eyes again, picturing my father dying. I blinked them rapidly away, hugging myself. They’re room was so cold, it always was. Yet here dad was, sweating buckets. I sighed, praying Daddy would hurry up and get home…

Gerard’s POV

I got home about twenty minutes after Aiden called me. The second I stepped in the door he was looking at me, eyes wide. “D-Daddy…”

“What’s wrong?” I urgently asked. Had Frank gone into a coma? Was he okay?

“I-I… I’m scared.”

I sighed softly and set Frank’s prescription down, pulling my son into my arms.

“You’ve never seen Frankie like this.” I muttered. “But hey… he’s going to be alright. We’re all a little nervous but Frank always pulls through everything life has ever thrown at him, especially now because he has you and Bella and Eric and Nikki to look out for.”

He nodded into my shoulder. “But he looks so bad. I… I guess I freaked out.” He pulled back and looked at me. “He just started slurring and I couldn’t really understand him and… I don’t know. I freaked out. I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t be… you’re worried about Frankie and that’s good… it just shows how much you love him. Maybe, though, you should give him his medicine and cuddle him… okay?”

Aiden nodded. I handed him two pills that Frank was due to take and some water. “I’ll be in to check on you both soon… and I’ll bring you some food.”

He nodded again and headed upstairs slowly.

I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. I was a hypocrite telling Aiden not to worry, when I was worrying myself sick. I sat at the kitchen table and closed my eyes, knowing what I had to do…

I had to call Linda.

I sighed and pulled my cell phone out of my pocket, dialing Frank’s mom’s number. Linda answered after four rings. “Hello?”

“Hi, Linda. It’s Gerard.” I said, trying to sound cheerful.

”What’s wrong?” she instantly asked. “Has Aiden gotten worse?”

“No.” I said quickly. “Uh… it’s Frank. H-He’s having problems and… the doctors don’t seem to think it’s serious… but... I’m worried and I felt that you should know this was… going on.”

“Is it serious?” she asked.

“I… I think it could be. We’re all pretty worried up here.”

I heard Linda moving. “I’ll be there by tomorrow, Gerard. Can you have someone pick me up at the airport?”

“Most definitely… thank you, Linda.”

“Thank you. Bye, Gerard.” Linda said.

“Bye.” I hung up my phone and headed upstairs. Frankie was throwing up, leaning over the side of the bed and puking into a trashcan. Aiden was standing next to him, the pills in his hand, while Eric rubbed his back. I rushed over, taking Eric’s place. “Shh, Frankie… it’s okay.” I cooed as he began to cry.

“It isn’t okay.” He cried. “It isn’t okay. I feel terrible, Gerard. I feel like my head is gonna fucking explode and my stomach has like—” he couldn’t continue as another wave of nausea hit him and he began to throw up again.

After five minutes he stopped puking so I sat him up, rocking him very gently and cradling him to my chest. “Can someone please turn the air off? He’s shaking.” I said, looking up at Eric and Aiden. Eric nodded and rushed off.

The room was silent, bar Frank’s sniffling. I kissed the top of his head, whispering that everything would be okay. He was covered in sweat now and he leaned against me, wrapping his tiny arms around my waist and burying his head into my chest.

“It’s okay…” I cooed as he continued to cry.

“I think I’m dying.” He miserably moaned, looking up at me pitifully.

“Don’t you talk like that ever.” I said sternly, kissing his cheek. “Don’t ever make me think of losing you. Do you hear me?”

“I just feel so miserable.” He whimpered, and then gave a slight cough. “Why’s it so cold?”

“Eric is turning the air off, honey.” I sighed, brushing his wet hair back from his forehead. “Just lay down and try to sleep. You’ll feel much better when you wake up, babe. I promise.”

He gave a very small nod and laid flat on the bed, on his stomach. I glanced at Aiden, rubbing circles on Frank’s back as his breathing slowly steadied.

“You could use some sleep too…” I told him, covering Frank with a small blanket.

“I’m just gonna go eat or something.” Aiden bit his lip and left the room without another word.

I sat there for nearly half an hour before Frankie’s green eyes fluttered open. “Gee?” he asked.

“Yes, sweetie?”

“I feel disgusting. I’m laying in sweat.” He moaned, wiping some sweat off of his forehead. He sighed and added, “I really need to pee, too.”

I smiled slightly and helped Frankie out of bed. He walked shakily to the bathroom and I followed, just to make sure he didn’t fall over and hurt himself. He was more coherent than he had been earlier, but I knew better than to just leave him be.

He used the bathroom, flushed the toilet, and washed his hands looking at himself in the mirror. “I look terrible.” He muttered in a distant voice.

“Do you want a bath? It’ll make you feel cleaner.” I offered, putting a hand on his back.

He gave a small nod and sat down on the floor, coughing.

I turned the water on so it was filling up the tub and went to grab a few towels and a wash rag. When I got back into the washroom Frank was struggling with his buttons, his fingers shaking.

“Here.” I said softly, setting the towels down and kneeling down by him.

“You’re too good for me.” Frankie gave me a small grin, his eyes lighting up.

I felt myself smiling too, but only because he was immature enough to think that. It really was the other way around, but I had never been able to show him that. He was the one too good for me, staying up with me until two in the morning so I could cry about my dad, all of my addictions he’s helped me face…

Giving him a bath when he is sick does not compare to what he’s done for me at all. Frank always did pay attention to the small stuff in life, not the big stuff.

I pushed Frank’s shirt off, kissing his rosy cheek.

“It’s cold water, right?” he asked quietly, his voice slightly raspy.

I began pulling his pants off of his hips, telling him, “It’s warm. You’re shaking, I know you feel hot but it’s the fever.”

“C-Can’t you make it cold?” he whimpered.

“Honey, it’s not too hot. You’ll be fine.” I kissed his cheek again. This time I noticed how hot it was.

He nodded and stood up with my help. I eased him into the warm water, turning the faucet off. He gave a content sigh, a silly grin coming onto his face.

“You are so cute.” I laughed, grabbing the wash cloth.

“No, I’m delirious.” He snorted.

“I think you’re starting to feel better.” I teased him. “You just like this babying.”

“I really do.” He said, closing his eyes.

I wet the wash cloth with cold water, running it over his neck and shoulders, and then down his chest. He let out a small sigh, laying there.

“Are you feeling any better?” I asked him, wiping his face off with the cold water from the sink.

“I can put my thoughts together, so yeah. I still feel shitty, though. My head is killing me.” He answered, eyes still closed. He was still pretty clammy, and I felt bad. I wished there was something I could do to make him feel better.

“Maybe after this I’ll change the sheets, you can sleep, and you’ll feel better? Or I can make you some soup and grilled cheese? Try and eat some?” I asked.

“I’m afraid I’ll throw up again.” He said, his hand going on top of mine. I dropped the cloth and linked our fingers together, leaning over and kissing him softly.

He giggled, shook his head, and opened his eyes. “I think you should join me is what I think I want.”

“Frankie, twenty minutes ago you probably couldn’t have told Aiden your name.”

“Princess Frankie.” He grinned. “Plus, you’ll be able to reach me better in the water.”

“You’re sick.” I pointed out.

“You can’t catch it, its stress. You know what relieves stress best.” Frank wiggled his eyebrows.

“Frank! I’m not having sex with you in our bathtub while you’re sick.” I laughed.

“Fine. Just get in the water with me. It’s getting cold, you should warm me up.”

I laughed, turning the hot water again. “There.”

“Please, Gee?” he pouted, looking at me with big green eyes.

“Alright… but I’m keeping my boxers on and no funny business.” I stood up and kicked off my pants. Frankie giggled quietly, coughed, and then turned the hot water off. I tugged my shirt off, sitting next to him in the water. “Happy now?”

He nodded and cuddled up to me, drawing shapes on my pale stomach with his wet fingers. He was still breathing heavily and he still had a fever (I knew this because his head was rested on my shoulder and I could feel the heat radiating from it) but he seemed to be feeling better at least.

I reached down and grabbed the cool wash cloth, resuming washing him off. He let out little content sighs, arching slight and closing his eyes once more.

We stayed in the tub, me running the cool water over his body, until the both of us were shivering from the cold. I helped him out and he almost slipped, giggling.

“That was funny, huh?” I laughed, wrapping a towel around him.

He nodded, wrapping his arms around me. “I love you, Gee.”

I laughed again and said, “I love you too, honey. Let’s get you in some pajamas and in bed.”

He made his way without help into our room, collapsing on our bed. I made sure to get his comfortable pajamas and helped him into them, then toweled his hair dry.

“I was gonna change the—oh.” I looked down to see Frank already fast asleep, holding a pillow to his chest and lying, face down on top of the covers. I kissed his cheek, turned off our lamp, and laid down wrapping my arms tightly around him.