The Pros and Cons of Growing Up

Part Twenty-Seven

Gerard's POV

“Daddy? Daddy, wake up.”

My eyes snapped open and Aiden’s face swam into focus.

“Hmm?” I moaned, wiping my eyes free of sleepiness. I felt like I’d just closed my eyes five minutes ago and the light hurt my eyes.

“We’re here.” He said simply.

“Oh… hi.” I said sleepily, sitting up straight. I had been slouching in my chair. I popped my back, wincing. “Where’s your grandmother and Eric?”

“Cafeteria… I wanted to get down here so they waited to eat.” He answered.

“I’m gonna go get some coffee, okay? Stay with Frankie.” I stood, trying to wake myself up enough to walk.

“Has he woken up?”

I looked at my watch. It was 7 AM. Maybe I had only just fallen asleep… but if I remember correctly, I went to sleep around 4.

“No.” I shook my head. “But he does respond and he’s been having tests every few hours. He’s fine. If he wasn’t we would know by now.”

Aiden took my seat, pushing it up by the bed like I had done last night.

“I’ll bring you some food back, babe. Is there anything you want?”

“I’m not hungry.” He sighed.

“If you’re going to stay with Frank, you have to eat. Otherwise I’m going to make Linda take you home. Do you want me to pick something for you?”

“Sure, whatever I guess.” He just shrugged carelessly, looking at Frank. “He’s got more color, doesn’t he?”

To be honest, I didn’t think so. But I forced a smile and nodded. I think both of us knew we were lying. Aiden just nodded. I moved forward and ruffled his hair. “He’s fine. I’ll be right back, baby.”

He nodded once again and turned his attention away from me. I walked out of the room, getting to used to walking again after sleeping in the hard hospital chair. I was rubbing my arm as I walked into the cafeteria. Cameras went off from every which direction.

“How is Frank, Gerard?”

“Is it true he tried to kill himself, Mr. Way?”

“Was this really over an unrequited love affair?”

“Did he shoot himself?”

I felt myself roughly being pulled out of the character. “Gerard, what are you thinking?” a voice hissed in my ears.

“Brian?” I gasped, looking at him.

“Did you not think everyone would know? I couldn’t find you, but I figured you had the brains to not come in here.” He sighed, shaking his head. “How are you? How’s Frank?”

I looked around. He had pulled me into a near deserted hallway and the reporters surprisingly hadn’t followed us.

“He had a seizure at the table yesterday.” I explained quietly. Both of us kept looking to make sure no one was listening behind a corner. “The doctors say he’ll be fine. But they did tell me that they didn’t think this was over… I don’t have the heart to tell Aiden, Brian. He’s so… he feels guilty.”

“It’s not his fault.” Brian said, his eyebrow arching.

“I know.” I said, looking into Brian’s blue eyes. I lowered my voice considerably. “But his anorexia is putting stress on Frankie… and he feels like it’s his fault. If anything, maybe this will… scare him into eating. I was just trying to get him food now.”

Brian bit his lip. I noticed his lip ring was gone. I suppose he was too old for it now, though. He rubbed his cheek, sighing and shaking his head. “But he’ll be okay? I mean… you just said it’s ‘not over.’ What does that mean?”

“Seizures rarely come with just one, the doctor told me. His wasn’t bad, apparently. He had one in the ambulance too and they reckon before he’s discharged he’ll have one or two more.”

“Isn’t that… bad?”

“It can’t be good, but they aren’t even worried about the seizures. They keep giving him fucking CT scans or some shit… if something else was going on, would they tell me?”

“They aren’t legally bound anymore, are they?” Brian pointed out. “You two aren’t married. They would tell Aiden, though.” He shook his head again. “Look… show me where the room is. I’ll get you and Aiden some food and make sure no one is following me.”

“Thanks.” I sighed thankfully. “Have they been here…?”

“Since about 5 AM. They didn’t recognize Linda and Eric. You, however… well, you are famous and the one person they want to speak to.”

“Fans know, then?”

He frowned and nodded. “Yeah, it is all over the internet. Of course. But the kids have no idea, they’re freaking out. Some even think Frank’s died and we’re covering it up… someone has to make a statement soon or the kids are going to… I don’t know. Your fans are pretty hard core. Especially when it comes to little Frankie.”

I nodded and began leading Brian towards Frank’s room. Every once in a while we walked backwards, making sure no one was watching us. It must have been a funny sight.

I bit my lip, suddenly wanting to cry. I had been prone to these fits since I had had time to sit and think about what was happening to Frankie. Rethinking about how much the fans cared for Frankie made me want to cry. He loved them too, I knew it did hurt him to not be on tour but he wanted to be there for Aiden. We couldn’t tell them that… but they still cared about us. They weren’t mad at us, they still loved us.

“Brian, we’ve got the best fans in the world.” I said in a hoarse voice.

“Yes, you do.” Brian nudged me. “Don’t get all sentimental. That’s Frank’s job.”

I laughed quietly, finally coming to a stop outside of Frank’s room. “Thanks, Brian. If I need to do a news thing or whatever for online or something I will. I don’t want them to worry. He’s going to be fine.”

“In a few hours, just go say that in front of all of those reporters. But now just wait, let me get you some food, and try to get some more sleep while I’m gone.”

I nodded and pushed the door open, walking into the room. Aiden looked up at me. “He… he’s waking up I think. His hand keeps reaching around and his head keeps moving.” He said, sounding half excited half nervous.

I rushed to the bed and grasped Frankie’s open hand. His fingers closed around mine. “Baby, are you awake?” I whispered, stroking his cheek with my free hand.

He whimpered a bit.

“I love you so much.” I kissed his cheek. “Wake up, sweetie.”

He licked his lips, tilted his head, and his eyes tried to open. Finally they did flutter open and his green orbs stared at me.

“Hey.” I said, letting out a half sob.

“Did I seriously pee on myself?” he moaned.

I laughed at him, kissing his cheek. He turned his head, his eyes focusing on Aiden. He smiled. “Hey, sweetie.” He said in a raspy voice.

I moved out of the way and Aiden hugged Frank gently, smiling.

“You scared me, Dad.” Aiden whispered into Frank’s chest.

“I’m so sorry, baby.” Frank said, rubbing his hand up and down Aiden’s back a few times before Aiden straightened himself out and took the seat by Frank’s bed. I pulled another one up and sat down as well. “… What happened?” he asked, looking at me.

“You had a small seizure, sweetie.” I whispered. “But you’re going to be alright.”

He swallowed and looked at me, clearly confused. “Seizure?”

The door opened and Brian stepped in, a tray in his hands. His eyes widened when he saw Frank was awake. Frank looked to the door and a smile lit up his face. “Brian!”

Brian rushed over to the bed, set down the tray, and hugged Frank. “I’m sorry it took something like this to get me out here to see you, Frankie.” He whispered, hugging Frank.

“It’s alright. How are you?”

“You’re the one in the hospital.” Brian laughed. “Are you feeling alright?”

Frank shrugged and relaxed against his pillows that I straightened for him when he was leaning up to hug Brian. He smiled at me thankfully and grasped my hand in his cold and clammy one. He looked at me again and his face screwed up in confusion. “What happened again?”

“You had a seizure.” I said, climbing onto the edge of the bed. Relief flooded through me. Frank was awake; he was talking to me, looking at me with those beautiful eyes. “But the doctors said you will be fine, in a few days you can go home.”

“Days?” he echoed, raising his hand to his head. “No. I’m so sick of being in bed, Gee. I’m going crazy.” He looked so stressed in that moment.

“Frank, don’t get upset. You can’t get upset or you’ll get sick again and have to stay longer. I promise, when we get home I’ll let you up. But while you are in the hospital I don’t want any negative thoughts to even cross your mind. For a second. Okay, babe?”

He sighed softly and nodded, resting his head against my chest. “I’m so sore, Gee.” He whispered.

I rubbed his back gently and he gave a content sigh. I felt him relaxing into me and his hand found my free hand once again and he squeezed it, whispering that he loved me.

I smiled. “I love you too, Frankie.”

He grinned looking up at me. Then he shook his head and suddenly looked tired again. He sighed and shook his head again. “This sucks, Gee. I don’t remember the seizure… I just remember cooking pasta. Oh God, Gerard. Is the oven off? Where’s Eric? What—.”

“Calm down, Frank.” Brian said from the chair I had been sitting in. “Everything is taken care of. Just think of this as a vacation.”

“Vacation? Brian, every muscle in my body is killing me. I feel so tired. I— I’m getting stressed.” He took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and let it out slowly.

Brian turned to Aiden. “Eat some, kid. I didn’t risk getting pummeled by paparazzi for nothing.”

“Paparazzi?!” Frank gasped.

I narrowed my eyes at Brian.

“There’s not many, Frankie.” Brian lied. “It’s nothing to worry about. They’re gone.”

“Oh God…” Frank moaned, massaging his forehead. “This is a disaster.”

“Calm down, honey. It’s all fine.” I said as the door open and a older male doctor with balding brown hair and thin glasses stepped in.

“Ah, Mr. Iero. You’re awake.” He smiled and approached the bed. “We expected you up within the next few hours. How are you feeling?”

“Everything hurts.” He moaned.

“Alright, that’s to be expected. Do you remember what happened last night?” he asked.

Frank shook his head, still leaning against me. “No.”

“I wouldn’t assume so. Now I’m going to have your husband sit you up and we’re going to do a few simple tests to see if you’re okay. Just to make sure nothing is wrong.”

“Alright.” Frank struggled to sit up and I helped him, letting him use my body to lean against. He was already leaning against me before, but it seemed to hurt him to sit up straight.

“Aiden, Brian, could you two wait outside until this is done?” I asked, seeing Frank glancing at them.

“Sure.” Brian said, standing. Aiden followed suite and they quietly left the room.

“Okay, Mr. Iero. We’re going to ask you a few simple questions. What is your middle name?”

I laced my fingers through Frankie’s stroking his thumb with mine.

“Anthony.” He said after a few seconds of silence.

The doctor checked his chart and nodded. “What’s your birthday?”

“October 31, 1981.” He said and I heard his voice faltering.

“Good. Your last name?”

“Iero-Way.”

“It was Iero-Way? You’re divorced now. You remember that, right?”

“B-But… we’re going to g-get married again and…” Frank said weakly, looking at me for help.

“First name?”

“Can you please just let me sleep?” Frankie whimpered, tears filling his eyes.

I looked up at the doctor. “Maybe he just needs some rest before we—.”

“Francis.” Frankie moaned. “Can I please just rest?”

“I’m very sorry, Mr. Iero. We need to make sure nothing is wrong. What is your daughter’s middle name?”

“Look, he’s shown you he can answer these questions. Why are you forcing him to do this when he needs sleep?”

Frank was blankly staring, blinking. “G-Gee… w-what is it?”

My eyes widened and I looked down at him. “It’s Marie, Frankie.” I whispered. “What’s my middle name?”

“A-Arthur? Gee, what’s Aiden’s middle name? What’s Brian’s last name? Why can’t I remember?” Tears were now spilling down his cheeks.

“Frank,” the doctor said gently. “This could just be a reaction to the medicine, or the seizure. You should be able to remember everything soon.”

Frank looked at him. He sat in a chair by the bed, his clipboard on his lap. “How… long?” he asked desperately.

“Generally what we see with people who have had past head traumas and suffer seizures is for the first few days, they can’t remember everything. Like though you may remember getting married to Mr. Way, you wouldn’t remember the date. Or like you would remember picking your son or daughter up, you wouldn’t remember their original last names… or your mothers. Can you remember your mom’s maiden name?”

Frank shook his head, sniffling.

“What can you remember?”

“I don’t know… I… I thought I remembered everything u-until you started asking more questions.” Frankie said quietly.

He nodded. “That’s very normal. If you didn’t remember you and Gerard weren’t technically married anymore, I would be scared. If you didn’t recognize you were in a hospital, or your son was your son, then I would be worried. This is normal and you shouldn’t let it worry you too much. Don’t struggle to remember everything, that will only do more harm.”

Frank nodded and I squeezed his hand comfortingly.

“Now I want to see if you can walk, alright? Not alone, with help. Gerard, would you like to walk Frank around the room? We would usually have him walk just up and down the hall, but the paparazzi is here and we don’t want them to see him. I was under the impression you wanted this as quiet as it could be?”

“Yes, sir.” I nodded and stood, gently helping Frank out of bed. “Frankie, walk a bit?”

His legs were shaking and he looked at me. “I don’t want to. I’m tired.”

“Just walk to the wall and back, baby. It’s not that far. Just to show the doctor you can walk.” I kissed his cheek.

Frankie took a shaky step, almost falling. I wrapped my arm around him tightly, pulling him up.

“I’ve got you, honey. Just do the best you can.”

He took three more steps, each one easier than the last. By time he made it to the wall he was tired, though, and panting slightly. “Am I done?”

“Just back to the bed and you can sleep some.” I coaxed, helping him turn around. I helped him walk back and his legs, this time, seemed unable to hold him. By time we were halfway through I couldn’t bear to watch him struggle anymore. I lifted him in my arms and he wrapped his own arms around my neck, whimpering into my neck.

The doctor didn’t look too pleased at my intervention, but I didn’t care. I lay Frankie onto the bed, made sure he was comfortable, pulled his blankets over him, and then looked up at the doctor. “Well?”

“Well that could have gone worse.” Was all the man said, writing something down. “He is still weak from the sedation. His usual movements will come easily in a few days, when the drugs leave his system.”

“Until then what?”

“He rests and we wait. We also need to keep him unstressed, or he could have more seizures. It’s not unheard of.”

Frank’s eyes widened at this. “I don’t want this to happen again.” He whimpered.

“You’re in a hospital, Mr. Iero. I assure you if it happens, you will be safe.”

Frank looked up at me, biting his lip.

“I’ll be back in a while to check on you. Your son and friend can come in now.” The man said, and turned to leave the room. “If you need anything, don’t hesitate to call someone.”

I stood at Frank’s side, grasping his shaky hand in mine. I kissed his fingers and smiled at him. “Are you feeling alright?” I asked him as the door closed behind the doctor.

He let out a shaky breath and nodded. “I guess so.”

“You scared us, babe.” I kissed him gently and sat next to him.

“Sorry.” He smiled at me adorably. “Did I get to ride in an ambulance at least?”

I laughed and shook my head. “What if I said no?”

“I’d be pretty disappointed.” Frankie giggled tiredly.

“Well in that case yes, Frankie, you rode in an ambulance. Does that make you happy?”

He nodded and curled into me. “I feel so tired and weak, Gee… but I’m afraid to sleep.” He admitted, looking down. “I’m afraid I’ll slip into a coma or something…”

“Sugar, that won’t happen.” I ran my fingers up and down his back, trying to soothe him. “Just sleep some, okay? Everyone will be here when you wake up.”

He nodded and slid his hand into mine. “Okay… g’night.” He leaned up to kiss my cheek and I returned the gesture. He was fast asleep within seconds.