The Pros and Cons of Growing Up

Part Thirty-Three

Aiden’s POV
Four Days Later…

“I have to go to class, Aiden.” Eric gasped out, arching his body into mine as I ran my hand down his side.

“No, you don’t.” I said in an annoyed tone, and then resumed sucking on his neck.

“Why do you always pick the times we can’t?” he whimpered, turning his head to see the clock. “I really have to go, hon.”

“S-Stay with me. You can copy that Jim guy’s notes. Please.” I ran my hands to the bottom of his shirt, pushing it up.

“No, no.” Eric sat up breathing hard, causing me to fall into a sitting position on his lap.

I pouted, my face level with his.

“I love you.” He whispered, leaning forward to quickly kiss me.

I kissed him back, sighing. “I love you too. What am I supposed to do about this?” I gestured down to my lower body.

Eric shook his head, choosing to not look nor to answer that question. “I’ll be home after work.”

“You work tonight, too? You’ve worked the past two days.” I whined.

“Work is kind of a day to day thing, babe.” He laughed, standing. “If you get bored enough, you should come visit me. It’s so boring, no one is buying text books anymore anyway…”

I nodded and waved bye to him, frowning. He waved back, grabbed his bag, and left calling once again that he loved me. I stayed in bed for a while before heading into the kitchen. Both of my dads were there, but thank god all clothes were on and bodies were not in contact.

“I’m going to have absolutely nothing to do today. At all. Again.” I moaned, sitting in a seat at the table by them and pouting. I had been so bored these last two weeks which may seem good because at least I was out of that slump. But it was not exactly easy to go back to having a life when you lived in practical solitude for months.

“Maybe you should go see Asher. You haven’t seen him in forever.” Daddy suggested.

I almost fell out of my chair in shock. I hadn’t even seen Asher since that night we’d had that stupid threesome and I didn’t like to think about it.

“I mean, you’ve known him since you were 12. He was your first friend when you moved here.” Dad added.

Fuck.

I heard myself sigh and mutter, “I think Asher and I have different interests now.”

“You two have always had different interests, he’s a football player. But you two are good friends, don’t throw that away.”

What a way to guilt trip me. “Fine. I’ll go over there.” I groaned, standing up. “Do I have to drive?”

“You’re almost 21, you expect us to drive you?” Daddy asked me, giving me a very displeased look.

I sighed once again and picked up my keys, giving them a very fake smile. “Guess I’ll take my old car.”

“I guess you will.” Daddy said as I headed towards the door, not even bothering to change out of my sweat pants and T-shirt.

I went outside and was glad to see it wasn’t too cold out. I got into my old car and turned the engine on, mildly surprised it started without so much as a noise of protest. I backed out and drove around the neighborhood a few times. I kept thinking about how betrayed I’d felt that night, how much I regretted it ever happening. You were not supposed to have sex with your best friends, especially if you were married to someone else. Let alone with said best friend and husband.

There was a honk and I realized I was stopped at a stop sign, though it was clearly my turn to go. I turned the car down Asher’s street and pulled up into his driveway, praying he wasn’t even home. I took a deep breath, mentally preparing myself to do this. Why did I have to listen to my parents?

I got out of my car after turning it on, but left the door unlocked incase I needed out of their quickly. Why was I even anticipating a quick escape, or worrying about this? Hadn’t it been a good 2 months ago? Three, maybe? It should have been in the past, but I had a bad feeling.

Before I even knocked on the door, it was opened and a very pregnant woman threw herself at me. “AIDEN! AIDEN!” Brooke shrieked happily, hugging me so tight I thought I would snap in two.

“Hey, Brooke.” I smiled at her and hugged her back. “You’re huge! Not in a bad way, though.”

She grinned at me. “Yeah. A month left. I’m a little nervous.” She smiled and then nudged me. “Why haven’t you been over in so long? Eric says you never feel good, but it’s been months.”

I nudged her back. “I have been sick. It’s not been easy.”

“Well I hear you’re over the bulk of it and I made cookies last night. Peanut butter. You dig?”

You dig?” I repeated, laughing and following her into the house.

She waved her hand and led me into the kitchen, sitting at the table. I did so as well and took a cookie off of the snowman platter. “How are you though?” she asked softly. All of this ‘small talk’ was making me anxious and Brooke kept glancing towards the steps. Asher must be avoiding me. Good.

“I’m okay, I guess. I can eat again for the most part… sometimes it is a little hard to keep it down, though. And I still get really bad stomach aches… Dad’s been a big help though, as always.” I spoke quietly, looking down at the table. I hated talking about it out loud to anybody.

“I’m glad you’re doing better. I missed you so much and wanted to come see you, but Eric said it wasn’t a good idea… but I really missed you. You don’t hate us, do you?” I heard her give a sniffle and looked up to see her almost crying.

“Of course I don’t hate you.” I gasped. You would hate me if you knew what I’d done with your husband.

“It’s just, I didn’t even get to see you when you came home.” She was now crying. “Asher said you looked so thin and he didn’t want me to get upset and then they would say you were getting better, but then Eric would come over so upset because you two had fought or Asher would tell me about how you were still thin and looked worse. I wanted to see you, but no one would let me! I just wanted to help you but they both kept me from you for so long!”

I ran over to hug her tightly, her big belly in the way. “Hey, I’m fine. Eric is a drama queen and he probably just freaked Asher out. I wish I’d known or I would have seen you…”

“Then you wouldn’t come see us, though Eric was happy because you were getting better. Did Asher do something? He’s locked himself upstairs for some reason and it wasn’t until your car pulled up…”

“Asher didn’t do anything.” I lied, hugging her again. “I’ve just been a little emo lately. You know, I get it from my dads. They’re the kings of emo—well, I guess Dad would probably be the queen.”

“I love Frank.” Brooke giggled through her tears.

“Me too.” I grinned at her, standing myself up straight. “Do you mind if I go up and see Asher? I do kind of need to… tell him something.”

“No, it’s fine.” She wiped her eyes and smiled. “He’s a little moody lately, so don’t be upset if he seems mean.”

I nodded and headed up the steps, and towards where I knew Asher would be. He was in the room that would be the nursery, putting together a crib.

“Hi.” He said without looking up. He was sanding something down on the crib, and two pieces were already bolted together.

“Hi.” I said quietly.

He looked up at me, and looked from my face to my stomach. “You look better… er… more healthy.” He said, eyes not leaving my stomach.

I closed the door. “We have to talk about this… my dads are starting to wonder why you never come over and I’m sick of trying to lie and I’m obviously not about to tell them the truth.”

Asher looked down. “Fine. What?”

“Why did you do that?! Why would you ever go along with something like this? Why would you bring Eric into it?”

“Hold on!” he snapped, his head lifting. His eyes met mine. “It was his idea, not mine. Don’t you pin this on me!”

My eyes widened, and his did as well.

“… Eric’s idea?” I asked, feeling sick to my stomach. “And when did this idea come up? That night?”

“… A few nights before.” Asher seemed to be finding it hard to look at me.

“Why did it come up?” My chest felt tight and I couldn’t breathe too well.

“Because we had sex!” Asher moaned, burying his face in his hands. “I’m so sorry, Aiden…”

“YOU TWO HAD—.”

He darted forward, covering my mouth. “Don’t! Brooke will hear you! Are you insane?!”

I pushed him roughly off of me. “FUCK YOU! FUCK YOU ASHER! I HOPE YOU AND ERIC BOTH ROT IN HELL!” I screamed before running down the steps and out of his house.

I struggled to get into my car and realized the keys were in his car. I stormed back in and Brooke looked at me, started. “Where are my fucking keys?” I said, beginning to cry.

“What’s wrong, Aiden?” she whispered.

“I need my keys! I NEED MY FUCKING KEYS!” I shouted.

She thrust them at me. “Call me later. Please. Call me and let me know you’re okay.”

“Whatever.” I ran from the house, shoved my key into the ignition, and drove off without even closing the door. I pulled it closed and sped off as fast as I could. I didn’t know where I was going. Why did it even matter that he’d had sex with Eric? We’d had a threesome, was it not the same thing?

No because however messed up our threesome was, I consented. I was a part of it, I knew it was happening. They had gone behind my back when I was fucking sick. Fucking sick.

I was crying too hard to see clearly and by now had no clue where I was. I couldn’t go home like this, Dad would flip out and call the police thinking someone had tried to murder me. Why was I crying so hard? My lungs were beginning to hurt and I had no where to go. No friends to run to, nothing.

Bella.

She fucking owed me anyway.

I pulled into a parking lot, cutting someone off, and drove in a circle to the exit. I then sped in the opposite direction, towards my sister’s house…

An Hour Later…
Bella’s POV

This was not what I expected when I heard banging on my door. A MCR fan maybe, a gang member or someone from the mafia. Not my little brother crying so hard his face was red and it sounded like he couldn’t breathe.

“Oh God, Aiden.” I gasped, after I recognized him and the car outside. I wrapped an arm around him, carefully leading him into the house so he didn’t step into the dog food. That would most definitely make him cry even harder.

“I’m sorry.” He managed to sob out, throwing his hands into the air. “I can’t go anywhere else… oh my God.” he almost collapsed over Jack’s pillow, making him sob much harder.

“Shit, I’m sorry. C’mon, come over here sweetie. What’s going on?” I sat him down on the couch, thankful Nikki was gone and Jack was at school.

“Eric cheated on me with Asher!” he shouted. “I know that when we had the threesome I was there but it’s different.”

“Wait, wait, what?!” I asked, my eyes widening. My brother had a threesome? He was only nineteen years old; shouldn’t he only be having sex with his husband? Eric cheated on him?

He took several deep breaths and wiped his eyes. “A few months ago Eric and Asher talked me into a threesome, which wasn’t even fair because I couldn’t help it.” He rambled on. “But they had already had sex, Bella! He cheated on me! With my best friend! While I was sick!” A fresh batch of tears poured down his cheeks.

“It happened a few months ago? What, did he tell you?” I asked him, rubbing his back soothingly.

He shook his head, water hiccoughing. “No.” he swallowed and continued. “I h-hadn’t talked to Asher since it h-happened and Dad made me f-feel bad. Obviously he doesn’t know about the threesome, he thinks we just grew apart… and we just bought a house!”

“Oh, Aiden…”

“But Asher told me today because I was going to talk and just get it off of my chest that I didn’t agree with the fact that it happened and he told me it was Eric’s fault and I asked why and he said Eric had decided it after they had sex by themselves. He was probably wanting to fucking cover his trail so I would never find out! Which I didn’t!” he was shouting, throwing his hands up in the air. “Because I am a stupid and hideous fat mother fucker who only has friends who sleep with each other behind his back!

I used to have it all and gave it up for him! I had tons of friends, went to parties! I was fucking cool, Bella. And I quit because he didn’t like it. And he repays me by fucking the one friend I managed to keep?!” he began to sob again, throwing himself into my arms.

I rocked him back and fourth, whispering soothing words. I felt guiltier than ever for not visiting him. How had all of this been happening, not to mention the fact that he was anorexic? Daddy said he was doing better, but that he still found it hard sometimes. He was so proud of Aiden for pulling through it again, as was I.

Aiden’s POV

“Firstly, brother, you are not fat, nor hideous, nor stupid. Not everyone can get into medical school without attending a university first, especially in New York. Secondly, people make mistakes and that is obviously what this threesome was. Third, if Eric cheated on you that is only something you can take up with him. Not me, not Dad, not Asher.”

“I want to kill them both. How can I live in a house alone with Eric when I probably won’t even be able to look at him without crying and beating his face to a fucking bloody pulp?!”

The words felt nasty in my mouth. Was I really associating the love of my life since the age of 14 with such foul words? I was vaguely aware of anything surrounding me, bar my own pain of course. I was calming down and my tears were slowing, but it still hurt to breathe. How in the hell had I not wrecked on the way here? The police officers here aren’t doing their job, either, or I would be incarcerated right now.

My phone vibrated suddenly and I dug it from my pocket.

Text Message: Eric

Received at: 12:45 PM
----
Aiden? Where are you? I’m at home.
----

I closed it, throwing it onto the floor. I felt like crying, maybe kicking and screaming. But I couldn’t’ anymore. I just relaxed against the back of the couch and looked around Bella’s living room. I hadn’t been here in ages.

“You redecorated. I like it.” I sniffed.

“Oh, honey… I wish I could see you more often.”

“Why can’t you? I miss you, Bella… Everyone does… goddamnit.”

My cell phone was vibrating again. He was calling. Well, someone was calling.

“Just ignore it.” Bella said. “Are you excited for college next year?”

She was trying to make me think of anything but Eric, but that made me think of him as well. Everything did. And maybe I needed to think about this, so I could decide what to do.

“No… college was hard in New York and I’m not so sure I’m ready for that kind of challenge again.” I answered, eyes not leaving my cell phone which was lit up. He was still trying to get through. Did he know Asher had told me? Or did he really want to know where I was? Did it even matter?

I dived down suddenly, stepping on my phone.

“Aiden, you’ll break it—.” Bella began.

It gave a satisfying crunch as the screen shattered and the battery skidded across the wooden floor, coming to a stop at the front door.

“That was not a mature thing to do, hon…” she sighed, getting up and picking my phone up. She threw it into a trashcan and threw the battery away too.

“I need to go now.” I said suddenly.

“Oh, no. No, no. You are not getting on the roads like this. Someone will cut you off and you’ll cause a fifty car pile up. You’re not paying attention and you’re too sensitive right now.”

“I AM NOT SENSITIVE!” I screamed, throwing myself onto her couch and beginning to once again cry.

“I need to call dad and let him know where you are, or he will freak out…” she picked up her phone, dialing my house number. “Daddy? It’s Bella…. No, don’t worry. Aiden is here… he showed up about twenty minutes but he’s in no fit state to drive… I don’t think Eric coming to get him would be very wise…”

“FUCK ERIC!” I suddenly screamed, causing Bella to leave the room, still on the phone, so she could hear. I couldn’t hear her words, but I could hear that she was still talking. Her voice began to sound angry.

“You know very well what you did, and he does too. He doesn’t want to see you right now, he crushed his phone, and please do not call mine until he gives you permission to. No, I will not make him come and if you come to my house, I will call the police.” I heard her say, to who I’m presuming was Eric. “If Dad wants to come get him, fine. But that means he’ll have to tell why he’s so upset and Dad won’t handle it as well as I am. If you know whats best for you and your marriage, you’d leave him alone until he calls you.” She was silent for a few more minutes. “No, he doesn’t want to talk to you…” I heard the phone click off and she came back into the room, smiling softly at me.

“When are Nikki and Jack going to be home?” I sniffed.

“Nikki will be home soon, but Jack is on a field trip to the zoo. He won’t be back until five.” She sat down next to me. “Do you need anything? Motrin, some water? Are you hungry?”

I shook my head, biting my nails.

She nodded and stood. “I’m going to clean up some. If you need me, or want me to come sit with you, just tell me. I’ll leave you to think.”

And leave me to think she did.

I looked at her rose curtains and her burgundy walls. I looked at her brick fireplace and the pictures of Jack on the mantle, and a picture of me and her when I was fifteen years old. I took a deep breath and went to inspect the floor. I hadn’t scratched it, thankfully. I would have felt awful if I had.

I took several more deep breaths and realized I was ready to go home. I didn’t want to be here anymore, I wanted to be locked in the confines of my bedroom with the lights off, under the blankets, with a tub of chocolate ice cream in front of me. I no longer cared how fat and hideous I got, I didn’t care anymore.

I went into the kitchen. “Bella, I’m going to go home now.”

She looked at me doubtfully. “I don’t think you should be driving, sweetheart.”

I looked at her and said calmly, “I’m fine. I’ll call you from the house phone when I get there.”

She bit her lip, looking at me with her blue eyes worriedly, and then nodded. “The second you get there, and not a second later.”

“Bye. Love you.” I said, and headed out the door.




“Aiden Riley Iero-Way, what has gotten into you?!” Dad stormed over to me, giving me a death glare. “What is going on? You tell me right this goddamn second.”

I looked at dad for a second, and then picked up the house phone dialing Bella’s number. Daddy took the phone from me from behind and they both looked at me.

“What happened today? I got a call from the police. Someone wrote down your license for reckless driving and Bella said you smashed your phone? What in the fuck happened?” Daddy asked.

“Why don’t you ask Asher or Eric what happened? I’m sure the two of them would love to divulge that information. I, however, do not wish to say anything at this time. If someone can call Bella and tell her I’m alive, since I obviously am not able to use the phone, I would greatly appreciate it. Have a nice day.” I smiled at them sarcastically and walked up to my room, knowing when I opened the door I would be facing Eric.